Where do you keep your shotgun?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by heleveeta, Apr 27, 2011.

1. heleveeta

heleveeta New Member

i've got a mossberg 500 for home protection, i used to keep it in the closet all the time, but thats not really handy when i am in trouble.

tried keeping it under the bed, but didnt like keeping it there...

so i got a backup to keep it within arm's reach throughout the night. pretty easy to install and use...i love it...

what do you use? where do you keep your shotgun?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I keep mine in the closet. Unloaded with a box of 00 buck on the shelf right above it. It would be loaded but I have kids in the house and my wife is not comfortable with that. Once the kids are gone in another decade or so, it will probably be leaning on the wall beside the bed loaded.

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Mossy 500 persuader, loaded with 00 buck, breech locked ready to rock. Young boys in the house so all guns have to be under lock.

4. OzarkRecluse

OzarkRecluse New Member

No children, so my main one (Winchester 1200 Defender) is on the wall of my office/gun room. Loaded alternately with slugs and 00 buckshot.

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Between the nightstand and the bed (my side) loaded and ready to go. Also keep a loaded pistol on the nightstand (Berrsa .380) wife has a loaded pistol on her nightstand as well.

6. Werminator

Werminator Member

Currently locked in my safe... As is the 9mm I bought for home defense... Wife is more afraid of firearms than intruders... With that said, I have snuck the pistol into my night stand many a time... I also have two fairly intimidating dogs to alert me early and a bunch of blades at my readied disposal...

7. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I have my Glock 17 loaded on top of my night stand within arms reach at all times, all I have to do is reach out, grab it, and pull the trigger. My shotgun is between the night stand and bed loaded with 00 buckshot, also ready to pick up, push the safety off and pull the trigger.

8. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Gee, I must be the oddball here. Mine is under the mattress between the mattress and box springs. Mossberg Maverick 88, 20” slug barrel and a pistol grip kept in cruiser ready. For y’all that don’t know what cruiser ready is I’ll tell ya.

o Check chamber to maker sure is empty, check magazine make sure is empty, check chamber again and physically finger chamber to make sure it’s empty.

o Close breach

o Push safety off

o Point in a safe direction and pull trigger

o Roll shotgun over and load magazine with desired rounds

Shotgun is now cruiser ready; when you need to shoot all you need to do is rack a round and pull the trigger.

Scubie

9. buckfynn

buckfynn New Member

Cheap over and under which is kept under my bed. Turkey loads (#4's) and #00 buck are on my bed stand ready for the shotgun.

I also have a Colt.45 ACP and S&W M&P Pro 40 readily available.

My first line of defense is my dog.

And I have no children in the house so no worries keeping the weapons unlocked.

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I keep a Mossy 500 pump/w pistol grip and fold out stock, loaded in a slide out compartment, right behind the headboard of our bed. Undetectable, very easy access and very quiet. :cool:

11. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Mossy 500 SP with Turkey load/Super X 00 by the bed, behind the bedroom door hidden from normal view unless I am in bed with the door closed. Either the XD 40 or the Gold Cup 45 on the nightstand as the backup.

12. Blaine

Blaine New Member

Model 12

Leaning in the corner next to my bed.

13. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

Why in the hell would you tell the world on a public forum? :rolleyes:

Dead criminals are never "repeat offenders". ;)

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Better question: "Why the hell woudn't we..?"

15. ballfan4141

ballfan4141 New Member

I do not keep my gun loaded or right by the bed because I am scared I will sleep shoot it or myself lol.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I sprinkle my guns around the house. So that I am never more than 6" from one.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ LOL at "sprinkles"; that would make a great cat name.

My Mossy is beside the alarm clock & loaded. If i could trust the cats not to "play" with it, the chamber would be loaded too.

18. fireguy

fireguy New Member

You mean that some people only have one shotgun?
    Mine are in strategic places. I've been meaning to make a cradle over the top of the closet door on the inside to hang my Stoeger for easy but discrete access.

19. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

I have weaponry (not just guns) in strategic places.
    But I won't say where. With the Internet, criminals can see into your house.
    (Google Earth your address)
    That is "Why Not..."

"SuBLAMprise!" Thud!
    Telling would spoil the fun. ;)

I loaded up some high base 12 gauge yesterday. I call them my "kill rounds". Going into Home Defense shotguns.
    I have a sack of lead balls. It is marked "Buckshot", with a big 1 on it. But these balls average .385", so they must be 4/0 (0000). :eek: They are off the chart. I've never seen anything that big. Maybe intended for "grape shot" for cannoneering?
    Only 4 balls would fit in a wad. But 2 balls with #8 shot as a buffer stacked up very nicely.
    Tomorrow is range day. Get to try them out. :)
    Seniors get to shoot all day for $7. Unlimited ranges access.
    Grandson,10, gets to shoot for free. Step son is regular price, TS. :D
    I plan to come home with a sore shoulder and nostrils full of gun smoke.

20. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Remington 12 ga. express with 00 Intruder shot. Right next to the bed and chest-of-drawers, so close to my S&W 686 plus .357, loaded with .38 plus P critical defense it gets jealous.