Where do you keep your firearms for home protection?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by angeLoaded, Mar 3, 2011.

1. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

I just wanted to get some insight on some of where the best places to store your firearms in your home just in case you encounter a time where you actually have to use it to defend yourself.

I would like everyones opinion.

I have 2 little boys and I sure as hell wouldn't want them to have access to my firearms, so I keep it in a speed safe inside the top of my closet.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

On my hip or slung under my left arm. Used to keep one under my pillow, but now it goes in the nightstand drawer. (No Kids)

When the granddaughters are visiting, they are unloaded and kept in a zippered gun bag in the nightstand. Takes me 30 seconds to get it, load it and.......

3. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Shotgun in the corner behind my bed, SP-101 in the living room on the shelf next to my couch. XD-9 in the kitchen on the shelf above the sink, the rest are put away. the SP in the living room is outa reach of my daughter but still there are little things you can do like SUPERVISE your kids and teach them to stay away from fire arms and not let them do what the hell they want and wonder why they blow their heads off. but really i try to keep a gun in every room due to the area i live in.

4. Jay

Jay New Member

If I'm awake, I'm carrying a handgun. If I'm not home, my wife carries... on her person. We have an 85 pound detection system that lets us know instantly if someone, or something approaches the house. I have a shotgun hanging behind our bedroom door.

I have several grand children, and relatives who are toddlers. They either shoot, or have been exposed to guns, to the point that guns are no mystery to them. Young children aren't stupid. If you forbid them something, they'll figure out a way to get their hands on it. If you involve them in learning about firearms, they will either want to go shoot with you (priceless), or they likely won't have an interest. That being said, the other guns are in the safes. If you're so inclined, consider obtaining a copy of the NRA's Eddie Eagle program. It's designed for children.

5. FAS1

FAS1 Member

My HD gun is kept in my FAS1 SAFE, LLC bolted to my bed frame. No kids at home any more but I like it to be close by at night and away from any visitors, maid service, etc.

[​IMG]

Education is a must for your kids but I would not solely depend on that. You have little control over their friends that visit (maybe when your not home) and kids are curious by nature. I know I did things that I knew were wrong as a kid and I was pretty good from what I see of a lot of kids these days.

6. Jay

Jay New Member

Perhaps it's the "small town" environment, but we did have control over friends of our children who visited. When our children were old enough to stay home alone, they were fully aware that "alone" was the key word. Maybe we were lucky, I don't know. We never had an issue.

7. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

30 seconds seems a bit much, may be I'm just over thinking it.

8. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

Ideally I would love to raise my kids to be aware of the firearms in the house. However my 20 month old son has yet to comprehend the meaning of most words haha. But yeah as they grow older they will absolutely know about the firearms in the house.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My gun is kept in a Gun Vault next to my bed.

10. Jay

Jay New Member

Agreed. I do think that if you don't make firearms a big mystery, kids will be less likely to seek 'em out. While he may not know the words, he can tell when he's approaching something that makes you pay attention to him. The type of response his approach generates, goes a long way towards his filing it away for the future or not.

Just my two cents... :)

11. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

Your 2 cents are definitely appreciated.

12. Jay

Jay New Member

Tell my wife, quick !! :eek:

By the way... welcome to the forum. :)

ps.... if you're at home, it could very difficult to use a firearm to protect the family, if you have to go get it first.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  13. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

Hahaha!

Thanks Jay, this forum is great.

14. PatAz

PatAz New Member

Shotgun hangs from the mattress. Handguns in various locations. No kids.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I keep mine on the nightstand during the night and on my hip during the day. We have no kids so that's not a concern but when we do have them a quick access safe will be brought into action.

I grew up knowing where my dad's guns were but knew better then to touch them without him being around.

16. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I have a home alarm system and when it starts blaring and the strobes in the house start going off, I fugure 30 seconds is enough time for me to get armed, locked and loaded. :D

17. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

Yeah that definitely changes the game, a good alarm system would definitely give you more than a head start to be readily armed.

18. theskunk1946

theskunk1946 New Member

Start with an alarm system, and a dog. Then dial 9/11, then a superpowerful flashlight.

99% of my concern is shooting a kid playing a prank.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

First of all I think it is important to have home defense weapons in more than one area. For example I have a double barrel 12 ga. Coach Gun hanging over my Fireplace in the Family Room with 00 and slugs available at reach. You never know a threat could come quickly in the evening while you are watching your favorite show. And other weapons may be in your bedroom too far for quick response. In the Bedroom! First of all the house is alarmed. And I have a Glock in my bed stand drawer. The wife has a Browning BDA in hers. Also two AR-15s in my bedroom behind a door that is alarmed also. If I open it at night with the alarm set. It activates all the sirens a certain lights outside the house. One AR has an EOTech on it and the other has NV, a regular Tac Light and Laser, They can run but they can't hide! And with the 1/2 mile lane it is a long way for them to the county road. I am also blessed due to the fact that if my neighbors here my alarm going off. Generally they will head for the entrance of my lane with their weapons. They have been there many times when the Sheriff showed up on a few false alarms! Don't know if they are hoping for trigger time or what. We all watch over each others property here. It is Tennessee and not like most liberal areas of the USA. Come in the night or other times messing with someone or their property, better hope you are getting hazard pay. You might not go home?
    I left the metro area a few years ago so I could enjoy the America of the past. And our native traditional values.

20. angeLoaded

angeLoaded New Member

Yeh that's always a huge concern, but in that case you wouldn't feel immediately threatened right? But I guess my idea of an immediate threat is that someone is charging at me or brandishing a weapon as soon as I see them. But none the less I'd give a warning to anyone stepping into my home, with decal and yard signs for my alarm system, be aware of the consequences of pranking, breaking in, or attempting to burglarize my home.