Where do you buy your ammo?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by sweeper22, Aug 1, 2009.

1. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm still pretty new to the whole firearm game, and not invested to the point where pressing my own bullets is anything I'm exploring. As far as hundguns go, I've got a Sig p226 that shoots 357sig, 40sw, and 22lr, and a CZ 75b in 9mm. I'm just curious what some of you more experienced folks have found to be the best options for purchasing ammo?

Thus far I've got most of my ball at Walmart and BiMart (a Pacific NW chain) and most of my HP online through Ammo To Go and TDS. I'm all for supporting the local gun shops, but not at the point of paying 50% more for rounds.

2. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

Wal Mart is a good source if they have any in stock. Down here in SoCal that's been pretty hit or miss lately, and all the stores have imposed a 6 item per day limit for ammo.

SurplusAmmo.com and Palmetto State Armory are a couple other good online sources.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

As I have gotten away from cheap Mil surplus ammo quite some years ago I usually buy from local sporting good stores when on sale. Lately not much "on sale". However, I do find .308 Win. for as cheap as $14.00 a box and .223 for around $8.00 a box from time to time. Usually PMC or Remington brand for .223 and Winchester brand for .308.

4. tookalisten

tookalisten New Member

My local gun store has a good selection and I like to purchase and get solid advice from the local guy; I also buy from Cabelas and Natchez for bulk buys - when available.

5. WDB

WDB New Member

Walmart is a good place to find range rounds. My local range seems to do there best to offer good range and personal defense rounds at a reasonalbe price but found if I am looking to buy in volume on line is the best. I buy from Cabelas or Cheaper than dirt

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Any where I can find it right now.

7. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

"Anywhere you can find it" is going to be the most common answer to this question. I've actually had a lot of luck lately with the larger "big box" sporting goods stores. In my case it's been Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain. Lately the local Dick's Sporting Goods has been absolutely great about having the ammo I need in-stock every time I walk through the door AND their prices aren't bad thanks to their buying power.

I'm usually all for supporting the local gun store, and of course I still am and always will be, but right now my local gun stores just don't have the buying power in a lot of situations to keep the most popular calibers in stock, at least in my area. For example, I've been to 3 gun shops lately that haven't had .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45ACP, often all at once and even when they DID have it, it was in very short supply.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Fortunately, it seems the "wherever you can find it" issue has started to resolve itself a little over the last month. I noticed the online options started expanding about three weeks ago, and practice ammo has just started showing up a chain stores the last couple weeks. It still gets snapped up quickly, but at least it's getting there.

9. OC357

OC357 New Member

Usually Wall Mart or Dicks Sporting Goods. There is an independantly owned place called Zack's that has a lot of G&A but they don't seem too friendly there so I don't go there often.

OC

10. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

I buy from....

I buy from my local gun store. Good prices, good service and no limits.

11. Hollander

Hollander New Member

WallyWorld for range ammo when I find it and local range/gun shop for PD loads.

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Wherever I can find some!

13. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

Where ever I can find it. Seems to be a shortage here.

14. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Still looking to buy...
    I buy ammo all over the place.

15. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Ammo is plentiful at my local gun shops but Wally World shelves are empty most all the time. Bass Pro, and Cabela's has a good supply, so does Cheaper than Dirt.

16. Yunus

Yunus New Member

.22LR - Walmart and if ammo is short I'll buy other stuff there as well if they have it.

My local gun shop is pretty good about .223 and .40 S&W, the only other calibers I go through on a regular basis.

17. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I get my ammo mostly at work because i get employee discount, but i also go to walmart