Where did the name parabellum come from?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by 40calcliffy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

Just wondering where the term parabellum for 9mm ammo came from? Any info. Will be helpful.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The German arms maker Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken coined the word used to name cartridges. Roughly it is "prepare for war" from the Latin para bellum.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

This came from Wikipedia:

The 9×19mm Parabellum (abbreviated 9mm, 9×19mm or 9×19) cartridge was designed by Georg Luger and introduced in 1902 by the German weapons manufacturer Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) for their Luger semi-automatic pistol.[6] For this reason, it is commonly called the 9 mm Luger cartridge, differentiating it from the also-popular 9mm Makarov and 9mm Browning (.380 ACP) cartridges.

The book Cartridges of the World stated in 2006 that the 9×19mm Parabellum is "the world's most popular and widely used military handgun cartridge."[7]

The name Parabellum is derived from the Latin: Si vis pacem, para bellum ("If you seek peace, prepare for war"), which was the motto of DWM.

4. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe "Parabellum" was also DWM's cable address.

Regards,

Walt

5. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

+1 wjkuleck, I heard this also. Have not heard the Latin thing till now, but that sounds good, too.

7. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

This ^.
    And Canbrake, your signature line spider freaks me out.

8. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Cane, you amaze me yet again

9. handlebar

handlebar New Member

pardon if my spelling is somewhat off,
    se vis pacem, parabellum, means, to have peace, prepare for war. Therefore, parabellum means prepare for war.