Where did all the iron sights go?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by devildg03, Jun 11, 2012.

1. devildg03

devildg03 New Member

Most rifles that are coming out have no iron sights! WTH to me I enjoy irons way more than having glass !

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, you are officially old now, as am i. Go find a levergun and some hi-rise scope rings.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your talking ar15 its because everyone likes different ones so they often leave them off and let you pick your poison.

most bolt guns dont come with them and havent for decades because the ones that did people just tossed the sights or cut em off and put scopes on. so the gun makers said f-it why put on something most folks dont want save some production costs.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Damn old. :p

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I guess thats why I dont buy new guns.... :p

The only high powered rifle I have with a scope is my Mosin, and thats a old scope....

6. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I prefer glass but having iron sights on my gun is like having a spare tire for my truck. You can ride around without a spare but sooner or later it's going to bite you in the rear!:)

It's been driving me nuts for awhile now that I can't find a long range bolt action with good iron sights.

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I like irons better,I trust them better,they make sense.It's sad when someone buys a target gun,puts a 1000 dollar scope on it and hunts big game at only 50 yards,all the money for nothing.

8. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

They are getting rare but, if you look at some catalogs you still see them. It's kinda like a special feature now that Walmart carries scopes with a base included for under $100

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Glass only for my hunting rifles.

Put the cross hairs on the target, squeeze the trigger and go get the four wheeler.

10. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Some of the old rifles had really good quick disconnects with dead on zero return. In addition they had great iron sights. That's something you just don't see anymore, but it would be nice.

My buddies thought I was crazy for wanting iron sights on a long range rifle. Never the less I still wanted iron sights just in case. Then I noticed an odd looking block on the end of the barrel on the M24. After further investigation I learned that was for the quick disconnect palma sights. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only one that thought iron sights should be on a long range gun just in case.:)

11. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I bought a Remington 700 bdl last year with iron sights.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is funny. I think my Mosin is my only high powered rifle without a scope.

(OOPS) Forgot about my 30-30

13. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Im 15 and honestly i prefer good old fashion irons on an old 30-30 than a rifle with a 1000$ scope

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

It may depend on where you live. I enjoy shooting my Sharps 45-110 with its iron sights. However most of the hunting in the West is over miles of Sage Brush with no trees. This type of shooting is more often at 250 Yds. plus. The iron sights at these ranges are a real disadvantage for shot placement.

15. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I to love iron sights, here in ky where I hunt you'd be lucky to have a 200 yard shot. Most of the high powered rifles I own are mil surplus just because they always have iron sights, even my shotgun has military style sights along with a red dot.

I do shoot scoped rifles but only at distance most of my target shooting is done with irons out to 100 yards, I bought some scope rings called iron sighters they have a section cut out so you can see your sights along with your scope so you can use both I use them on my 7mm mag and it works well enough.

16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

All of my guns have iron sights, but one does have a scope in addition the the iron sights. As said before, it's nice to have a spare tire. ;)

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Buying a gun without sights is like buying an un-sharpend knife, useless for anything but admiring!

I was never a fan of glass because its just too finicky for my likes but I was Anti Armor and a hunter not a Sniper nor a target shooter. Neither my Military service nor my Hunting ever proved me wrong on that. Im not the best shot but most everything I shoot is ventilated well or dies rather quickly, thats what matters!

Nothing like a Battlesight Zero on an m16 to get you on target quickly and NY isnt big range country so scopes really dont help here much unless your on a bench. Besides, one trek through thick brush and the scopes no longer aligned anyways.

The sights on an M16 are about as accurate as anyone could ask for if used like they should be. 40 out of 40 on a qual range is very acceptable and ive seen it happen often and done it myself a few times. Those in Basic Tng that never fired before shot better on average than those of us with lots of civilian shooting under our belts, because we wouldn't listen, those with no experience listened carefully and shot well right out of the gate.

The sight picture is not the same, if you try to use them like the old Iron sights, your gonna suck bad at it, better get a scope! I would not buy a weapon without Iron Sights, I like my guns complete out of the package!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  18. opaww

opaww New Member

The reason the guns are not being made with fixed iron sights is because most people have been doing that thing your momma told you not to do or you would go blind. So now we all can't see worth a dam and need scopes to make up for our self gratification when momma was not looking.

19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I collect milsurps and the Mosin is the only "sniper" rifle I could afford.... It has a 1942 PU on it.

Glass on a lever is blasphemy!!! :p

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No pics? Didn't happen. ;)