Where can you carry???

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by WillBender, Jan 22, 2013.

1. WillBender

WillBender New Member

It was my understanding as long as I had my concealed for whatever state I'm in, which happens to be Oregon that I could carry where ever I wanted. My coworker though differently and said no, well I looked it up and found this, didnt know how trusted the source is so i thought i would ask on here.

It is unlawful to possess a firearm loaded or unloaded in a public building. “Public building” means a hospital, capitol building, a public or private school, college or university, a courthouse, city hall, or residence of any state official and the grounds adjacent to each such building. This restriction does not apply to individuals licensed under Oregon law to carry concealed weapons.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You need to get a good CCW class in your state. And that is NOT a slam on you. The state laws vary a LOT from state to state. I can tell you that you cannot carry in a Post Office, airport, a Federal Building, jail, prison, and I'll bet you a steak dinner there are restrictions in STATE law on schools and courtrooms.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

+!
    Get a CCW class, or spend some time with a lawyer.

4. WillBender

WillBender New Member

What is CCW?

5. txcasey86

txcasey86 New Member

Concealed carry weapons, I would assume.

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

You need to look up your state laws...
    Write them down,
    Talk to a lawyer.

7. 1911love

1911love New Member

Find a good training class. Got my CCW before I sought out training and realized how much I didn't know after the "real" training(unlike the training during my CCW course at a gun show). It will save your life and keep your booty out of jail.

8. Jon-in-TN

Jon-in-TN New Member

Here's a good informative link, just click on the state you wish to see what their carry laws are. I would still talk to someone in your state that knows about the laws. Also, just because someone is in law enforcement or a lawyer, that doesn't mean they are experts in carry laws so search the internet too.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

9. WillBender

WillBender New Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

In Florida, when you get your CWP, they also provide a copy of the state statutes.

Crossing a state line requires you to know the other state's statutes as well.

Ignorance is not a defense.

11. c3shooter

Please bear in mind- those are your STATE laws.

There are also FEDERAL laws that apply in all 57 states. Your concealed carry license is fine for the grocery store. Do NOT carry in the commisary at the military base down the road.

12. WillBender

WillBender New Member

Check this out, you would be surprised where you can carry. How about that steak dinner ;)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

13. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

The NRA-ILA has a site telling about each state's carry laws. But, as the disclaimer says, you will want to check these statements out for yourself.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've held OR and WA CCW's for 17 years now and despite daily carry, I've never had a gun fall out my holster so...unless there are metal detectors, armed security, and a secure perimeter...I don't worry about it much.

Tack

15. c3shooter

Will- agree that Oregon is better than a LOT of states- but if you can parse out the wording in 166.370 and 373 (and it IS rather convoluted wording) it appears that the law MAY be that you must surrender the firearm to a law enforcement office in a courtroom, and if you have a CCW, you will not be charged.

16. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

My state has good info on the State Department of Justice website

17. TNFrank

TNFrank New Member

Legally, you're banned from carrying in many places but morally I'd say to carry every where, all the time as long as you can. Sure, if they have a metal detector and security you'll not be able to carry but as long as they don't I will. "Shall Not Infringe" are words that have meaning IMHO.

18. austin92

austin92 New Member

57? Has it been that long since history class? Lol

19. WillBender

WillBender New Member

(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.

It says a weapon other than a firearm,

20. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I assume he is refering to states plus the US territories. I think that number is 57.