where can I shoot my 22 rifle PLEASE

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BillyMadisonShootrMcGavin, Aug 31, 2014.

1. I've been searching and searching the net with no results. I even called a few places the net listed and they're shut down or don't even offer shooting. I do not want to pay for a membership either. I just want to legally plink with my 22 rifle.

I live in Carbondale, Illinois (it's in southern Illinois) zip code: 62901

I'm real frustrated. Please help me out and thanks in advance. :)

2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A google search shows seven ranges in your area. If you can't shoot at any of them, someone there can tell you where you can shoot.

3. Geosully

Geosully New Member

Download the free app sponsored by National Shooting Sports Foundation, "where to shoot"
    Also, there is plenty of farmland and old strip mines where you live. Make friends with guys in neighboring towns.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, if you were here in VA, I would take you out and introduce you to some farmers- but that won't work.

Start with a Google search for gun shop Carbondale IL. I got about 10 hits when you include Murphysboro. Stop by, ask nicely. Also check with the IL state Rifle Association http://www.isra.org/ and check with the state Game Commission.

A quick check of Google Earth for Carbondale shows a lot of farmland to the SE of town. Visit, knock on doors, ask nicely.

Some of our folks from IL may have some suggestions.

5. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Ask the guys at the city dump if it's OK to shoot rats.

6. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Take it to the country. Find a nice river or creek. Ranges are nice and relaxing but if you want to plink a few rounds a creek is nice. I've been lucky where I've lived. It's rural. Take care and respect your surrounding.

7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The problem with this suggestion is that it could cause you lots of problems. The banks of creeks are owned by someone. If I caught someone shooting and trespassing on my place there would be a deputy sheriff and an arrest involved.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have to agree with Chainfire. Unless you are on public land, all that belongs to somebody. Unless you ask, and they say yes, you are trespassing.

FWIW, I have about 1700 acres of farmland where I shoot groundhogs- and no one else has permission to hunt there. I spent time walking up to farmhouses, knocking on doors, introducing myself, and ASKING for permission to shoot there.

Please note if you have an allergy to having doors slammed in your face, don't try that. Too many folks have suffered the effect of "slob" hunters and shooters. But some DO say yes- usually because you had the courtesy to come ask.

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

You do have a problem. Have you tried calling the sheriff's department and asking where legal places are that you might be able to shoot. It's an honest question. Good luck

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Not me. I would go contact them and find out what was going on. If they were looking for a place to shoot and were under the impression they were on public land, or just lost, I would help them find a place to shoot if they did not want to soot with me.:D
    It would depend on their attitude when I contacted them as to the out come of the contact!:)

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Odd, we used to practice right in the hallway of our upstairs apartment in down town Cheyenne WY, .22cal BB and CB cap rimfires wont even rile the neighbors just stack a couple yellow pages phone books as bullet stop, the sound of firing out a rifle they sound like a airrifle firing.
    During our long arctic OTZ winters, we shot plenty using pneumatics. Just set up a couple sides and back stop of plywood scrap as a ricochet trap around the bullet trap. Sofa cushions work, a cardboard box on its side in a book shelf with a yellow pages phone book works great, hall way linen closet works great.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery_gun

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A9cefHFO5Rs[/ame]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I am like C3shooter. I will knock on doors and ask to hunt especially if I see a lot of game in the area. The worst possible thing that can happen is they will say no and close the door. I have had a few that had so many ground rules that I just walked off. The easiest land to access is large corporate tracks. You just make a phone call to see who oversees the land. Then write them a real paper letter asking to hunt or shoot on the land. Bring something to the table. Tell them you live close. You don't mind watching for people dumping trash. After you get access to the land if they ask about gates be honest. If it will not put you in the poorhouse buy a couple gates and put them up. If you have no experience with gates and cabling tell them so. Also tell them you would be more than happy to find a contractor.

13. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Sounds like maybe you are new to the area?
    Southern Il is fairly rural and plentiful in farmground and some timber. If you don't have friends with land, and don't want to approach landowners, seems like a gun club membership is your best bet.

14. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

In most towns or cities, discharging a firearm is prohibited within city limits. So, go to rural areas outside city limits. Get to know someone who lives out there or ask around about where others might be going. Gun ranges all suck, in my opinion, anyway. Only to be used if you don't have somewhere else to go.