Where can i learn engraving?

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Twpbaseball10, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

I would love to be able to do some engraving on come of my guns. But I'm just now sure where I can learn any if this. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Sarge22

Sarge22 New Member

NRA sponsors programs at a bunch of schools during the summer term. One of those is engraving.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Not to turn you away from it (because it is a nice thing to learn) but engraving is a difficult trait to master. To master it usually takes years-decades. If you are just wanting to do a few simple things on your guns, then those classes should be alright, but if you want to learn to do the type of engraving in the pic, prepare for a lot of practice. Once again, not trying to turn you a way from it, just letting you know a little bit more about it. Have fun in the classes.

Attached Files:

4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

5. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

Yea I'm just trying to learn the basics just so I can do minor work on my gun such as engraving my name and a little design here and there. The more I do it the more I'll get better at it just like everything else

6. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

GRS schools are taught by master engravers. Whether a student acquires the skills to do excellent engraving depends on many factors.
    The engraved 1911 pictured is rather crudely engraved.

7. chrispy

chrispy New Member

Why do you say that?

8. rugernut

rugernut New Member

What kind of machine do they use to engrave

9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Crooked scrolls, single dimension work with rudimentary shading.

Tools?
    Engraving can be done with a simple hand, powered chisel.
    There are pneumatic and mechanical powered mini "jackhammers" that make the work much easier and predictable, but these machines don't dictate the lines that are cut. The engraver still has to direct them.

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Thats what I started thinking after I posted it, but I'm sort of a perfectionist so I thought I was just being picky, Guess not. Here is a much better example of engraving.

Attached Files:

11. scrupples

scrupples New Member

go to the engraving fourm do a search for your area I'm sure you can find someone close bue