Where are the best ammo prices?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by beaglesam, Aug 31, 2010.

1. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I want to stock up on some target ammo and I'm looking for the best price. Gander Mountain has Blazer Brass (which I've found to be very dependable) on sale. 9mm 10.99/50 .40 17.99/50

Is this a good price? It seems to be from what I've seen around SW Ohio. Can I get a better deal? Any thoughts about price or different ammo would appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2010
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

For range fodder, I find Walmart has about the best prices - if there's any on the shelf...

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

In my area you can't beat Walmart for range ammo.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

9mm Blazer for $11 is a solid deal. $18 for 40sw is a little steep.

I'll echo that Walmart is a great source for cheap target ammo. Prices per 50 are usually $9-11 for 9mm, $13-16 for 40sw, and $16-18 for 45acp. The most affordable is Federal Champion, which has always run fine for me. Winchester's white box 100rd boxes cost a dollar or two more (per 50), but they're often what I reach for. They're packed in there like sardines, making them very portable and easier to store in tight spaces.

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Walmart, IIRC the Federal Champions are;

$9.74/50 9mm
    $13.47/50 .40 cal

Another store to check is Academy but cost a little higher.

6. Kain

Kain Member

It's already been said in a roundabout way, but last time I was perusing the ammunition at Walmart, they had Remington UMC 9mm 250 rd boxes for just over $50 per box. I only shot 100 rounds but everyone went "bang" That's the cheapest I've found without having to buy very large quantities or mess with shipping. Though they only had 5 of those boxes the day I bought mine, and the next day the other three were gone.

7. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Another suggestion for walmart. You can buy federal handgun target ammo much cheaper than even buying bulk!

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I've always found Gander to be very proud of their stuff. The last time I was at Gander Mountain looking at ammo, they were at least $1.50 higher than the Wal-Mart I visited just down the road. I mentioned the high prices to the guy at Gander, and he copped an attitude. I even pointed out how the Kimber he had in the case was about $150 more than every one else. Needless to say, he did not stick around the counter after that. Heck, they had a Mosin priced at $160. It was beat to bejeebus as well.

If you like Gander Mountain, then shop there. I have found some fly-tying stuff I can't find elsewhere, so I buy that there. As for other stuff, they just seem pricey. Every once in a while, they do have some great sales.

9. FMtango

FMtango New Member

That price is just a shade cheaper than what I pay for at Walmart. I get 100 rnds of 9mm Remington for $23.00. After you pay for shipping and the wait time
    I would just go there.

10. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Walmart

Thanks for the advice 9mm $9.97/50 and .40 $13.97/50 at Walmart.

11. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Like a lot of people said Wal-Mart is going to be your best bet on finding ammo at good prices. Unless you want to search the internet and see what you can find. Good Luck.

12. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I reloaded shotgun shells by the hour for my father when I was younger and I know that saved a lot of money. However the time that I put into it I know I couldn't now. I'm pretty much a handgun shooter. Predominately 9mm and .40. How much would it cost to load my in those two calibers.

13. FMtango

FMtango New Member

IMO if you have a single stage press I dont think it would be that much cheaper even over bulk. but if you have one of those dill automatic machienes that put out hundres of rounds a minute then Go that rout. Comp shooters do that more often from what I have been told and it makes sense to me.