Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not know where to put this qustion.After you buy a gun at a store and fill out the AFT foarm they have a record of you owning that gun now! right? or another way to look at it is a paper trail I'm asking this because if this it ever comes down to conforstation they (the Govt) knows where to go! so its better to buy in a privite sale....huh?.

·
Registered
363 Posts
To the best of my understanding, the 4473 isn't suppose to leave the place of purchase. Now, that's not to say the .feds couldn't come in with an order signed by a .fed judge. Who knows. But a private sale could be a little better IMO.

If I'm wrong on this information, please correct me.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
It doesnt matter where you got it unless you steal it or make it from scratch. They go to the last legal owner and squeeze em till your name pops out then they come to you.

Worrying about confiscation is pointless. If that starts, we got bigger national issues.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
The 4473 is kept on file with the dealer for 20 years, if the dealer goes out of business before that time the 4473s are shipped to the ATF's warehouse in West VA. The idea behind the 20 years is for tracing on guns found at the scenes of crimes, what the ATF does with those 4473s when they get to the warehouse, I can't say. Also if even if a private sale bought from a dealer and then sells to you, what makes you think he won't give your name up when the ATF or other government agency knocks on his door? You are also posting on an open gun forum and I'm sure they can trace your IP address. They know who you are. :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Lol Silverado. Big brother is always watching!!

But I belive when they make that phone call all the info they give is added to a data base I dont belive they even need the paper trail

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok guys here's a hypothetical question.... let's say they pass a seriously heavy-handed legislation/XO demanding registration of all grandfathered-in semiauto pistols,rifles, plus you must give up all registered guns at your death...can't pass them on to descendants, with a serious penalty (felony ?) if u get caught not registering. Plus heavy penalties for transferring(private sales) of said-registered guns. How will gun owners react ... will they intentionally NOT register ? If a gun is not registered, will the owner even be able to go to a gun range to shoot , or will range owners only be allowed to accept registered guns inside their range ?

·
Registered
6,928 Posts

But I belive when they make that phone call all the info they give is added to a data base I dont belive they even need the paper trail
No, "they" only keep the info for i think 2 days?
Course thats subject to change :(

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

I've sold quite a bit of guns since I've been a dealer (July) and only called NICS twice. However the info they have is only kept for 72 hours unless you get a delay or denied. The proceed calls if you try and call back with the NTN number they gave you after 72 hours they have no idea what you are talking about. They also only know if it's a handgun, long gun, or other and no serial number is transmitted to NICS.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I've sold quite a bit of guns since I've been a dealer (July) and only called NICS twice.
However the info they have is only kept for 72 hours
unless you get a delay or denied. The proceed calls if you try and call back with the NTN number they gave you after 72 hours they have no idea what you are talking about. They also only know if it's a handgun, long gun, or other and no serial number is transmitted to NICS.
Dam- wrong again :eek:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
silverado113 said:
I've sold quite a bit of guns since I've been a dealer (July) and only called NICS twice. However the info they have is only kept for 72 hours unless you get a delay or denied. The proceed calls if you try and call back with the NTN number they gave you after 72 hours they have no idea what you are talking about. They also only know if it's a handgun, long gun, or other and no serial number is transmitted to NICS.
How come you've only had to call NICS twice? Are you doing it online otherwise?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
The rest of my customers have had CCWs so there isn't a need to call.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Oh, that's cool. In NH it's a little bit different. That's why I was curious.
Yeah I know some states you still have to call it in but thankfully that's not the case in IA.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I was wondering the same thing......how could you sell guns and not call NICS? LOL I wish we had that system. CC or not, we have to make the call.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts