When to clean your CCW?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Jesse17, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I always try to clean my guns after each use, especially after learning that the residues left from shooting can cause corrosion. But, I always wonder if I made any mistakes putting it together. I'm not saying I'm not familiar enough with my firearms to field strip and reassemble them. I just wonder if maybe I missed/forgot something. Only one time have I had to re-reassemble something. That was a Ruger MK II and I got something on the wrong side of a pin so you couldn't pull the trigger.

Anyway, my question is do you guys carry a freshly cleaned gun, or do you clean it every so many rounds, or every so many weeks, or what?

I'm leaning toward every couple hundred rounds or every month or two whichever comes first, and not carrying it until it's been fired.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

in a lot of ways CCW is a much harsher environment than the shooting range. you have lint dirt sweat possible food stuffs all coating the gun. at least weekly with a daily wipe down.

3. m72law

m72law New Member

what JonM said^^^^^

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I planned on doing the daily wipe down routine, and I cas see what you said makes more sense. At least once a week it'll be.

What about the idea of firing it after the cleaning/before carrying? Good idea or am I just asking for problems by constantly having residues in the barrel?

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I wouldn't bother making sure it fires every time you disassemble/reassemble. If you are that worried, get some snap caps and dry fire it in your house to make sure its functioning. A CCW with few parts to remove for cleaning could help. My M&P has the slide, recoil spring, and barrel - its impossible to assemble it wrong. Also, I have 100% confidence my 442 will fire after cleaning it :rolleyes:.

6. laynejc

laynejc New Member

exactly what JonM said, I carry a sig 228, went shooting one day after not cleaning it in a long while. It would not feed. After I got home I took it all apart and cleaned it, it functioned fine. I clean it about once every other week, but weekly would be better. Just glad I was shooting for fun!

7. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Dan, you're the man!
    I totally forgot about dry firing it (I don't have any issues with dry firing a 1911) or snap caps. [​IMG]

OK, it's settled then. My CCW will be cleaned after each use or once a weekish, whichever comes first, and will be tested with a snap cap or dry firing when finished.

8. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Generally when it's dirty. And being an IWB carry, fairly frequently. Gotta watch out for that B.B.L. :eek:

9. WDB

WDB New Member

I function check my CC daily when I take it off and in many years never found anything that required a cleaning. All the same I clean any firearm after use. IMHO all tools work best when clean. Might not make a big difference but "might not" isn't something I'm willing to accept if the time comes that I need my firearm.

How much would it suck to understand in the last seconds of your life that your firearm jammed or failed to fire because you didn't take the ten minutes to clean it after using it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  10. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

This was never a question about saving time by not cleaning. It was a question about verifying the functionality of a CCW after cleaning. How much would it suck to understand in the last seconds of your life that your firearm jammed or failed to fire because you didn't take the ten minutes to make sure it worked after assembling it?

Never the less, I've come to the conclusion that dry firing after cleaning will be sufficient enough of a check.

11. WDB

WDB New Member

A bit hostile, excuse me if I stepped on your thread and expressed something that didn't fit your expectation. I went by the title "when to clean your CC" my bad.

Might of been this quote that got me off track "Anyway, my question is do you guys carry a freshly cleaned gun, or do you clean it every so many rounds, or every so many weeks, or what?"

I did start with function check, do I get points for that:)

Clean up on isle/post #1:D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My CCW is merely a range gun I carry. So I shoot and clean it all the time...

... I simply refuse to cater to the needs of criminals by purchasing a SD gun

merely for the purpose of fending them off.

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

2 points awarded for mentioning a function check, 1 point subtracted for taking my post more wrong than I apperently took yours. Grand total of awarded points = 13 Trillion Points :confused: What the Obama kind of math was that. ;)

We good?

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Stripped and cleaned after each range session. Function checked, dry fired, loaded, cocked and locked, every time I put it on. :cool:

15. Bushman

Bushman Member

Same here. But the OP's question is a valid one with me. When I got my Officers ACP new, I oiled it, went and shot it a bunch, cleaning it after each range session, then decided to do a complete strip / clean / oil and reassemble for the winter, as I don't shoot very much in the winter.
    Somehow I got the trigger bar lever on the wrong side of the plunger lever, and carried it that way for a couple of months.
    The next range session showed that I had been carrying a gun that wouldn't fire a single shot, for the last two months.
    Geez, I felt stupid. And relieved to know that it was fixed.
    So I never do a complete strip without following with a trip to the range.
    Good Question OP!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  16. dutchmaster

dutchmaster New Member

I clean mine weekly, (whether I've shot them or not, afterall, cleaning one won't wear it out!) and I wipe them down every other day. I don't dry fire my guns - ever, I know they'll work when I need them... ;):);)

17. WDB

WDB New Member

Yes were good almost ...you didn't need to throw in the obama math... it makes my head hurt. I think you owe me some "change"?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  18. WDB

WDB New Member

Well expressed Jack. I have to learn less words are often better.

19. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

You can have all of it. I didn't and still don't want it.

20. TelstaR

TelstaR New Member

I will clean my CCW if it happens to get wet, after each range session and on my Birthday. Yep, on my Birthday along with changing all the air filters on our many vehicles.