When other shooters attack

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by GREGULON, Nov 3, 2012.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

Went to the range today just to run the new BCG I just got when after picking up my targets I looked around and didn't ser anyone behind me so I picked up the flag and headed back in. The range office was there and someone said someone is still out. The officer went out with the flag until he came in. Then this guy who I've never meet comes up and starts chewing me out. I apologize but that's not enough. I say hey I did call a hot range on you or start shooting. He says but someone could have. Then he says I'm just expressing myself. I'm like I got it. The thing is the range is starting to SUCK. I know that gins aren't toys, but wtf.

2. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

You need a biggr gun hangin from your belt !!

3. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

If you live in an urban area ranges do suck. You have a lot of people who have no practical experience with a gun. Their only shooting experience is at an urban range. Most of the time when you have a minor infraction of the range rules instead of one person giving you a polite explanation it's three or four yelling at you.

These people are not bright enough to know that once you raise your voice communication stops. No one listens to someone that is yelling at them - they just don't return to that particular range. There is also this notion that embarrassment increases safety. What they fail to understand is mama told me to smack the bleep out of people who talk to me like that.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Simple explanation.

asshat_by_thundercake.jpg

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Don't know where your at but around here if theres more than 8 people who don't all know each other there's at least one of ^ those ^ there :(

6. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Everybody wants to be the range boss.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't have that problem in oil field pits we usually shoot at, though a buddy did upset some hunters one day when he went wide open with a couple of different firearms in sequence. He had to assure them he wasn't trying to scare all the local wildlife to death.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Range safety is the responsibility of all who are present. That said, minor infractions/oversights need not result in *****iness. When there is a range officer present, He/she needs to be the arbiter of any safety lectures or other measures. Random douchebaggery is typically unproductive. In dressing you down, all this guy did was piss you off. That certainly advanced the cause, didn't it? Most would agree that a quiet reminder would have probably had better results.

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

That is ridiculous I don't know how many times I have emptied a 30/06 shooting at a deer run by dogs. Now 15 barking dogs have passed and I did all that shooting. Fifteen minutes later birds were singing and squirrels were scampering. Most of the time when I killed the deer before I had the deer prepared to move it to a good area for field dressing wildlife had returned to normal activities.

Lots of hunters think pressure stops deer from moving but nothing could be further from the truth. Deer just stop moving at daylight and dark to begin moving at midday. Wildlife adapts to whatever we are doing quickly and without much effort.

10. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I would have looked him in the eye told him to shut his pie hole and walked off.

11. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

I wanted too but his membership card had a gold sticker on it and knowing my luck he was probably the owner of the whole club.

12. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

Thanks guys at least I'm not alone.

13. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I don't think that would be a factor. I would look for another range. I am not going to make friends with aggressive people. I would go to another range if I had to drive for hours. I can target practice right here at the house for free. I go to ranges that are frequented by like minded people. For me if I don't have to get out of the way of a combine and fight off a German Shepard to get to the clubhouse I need to keep looking.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  14. COLDdeadFINGERS

COLDdeadFINGERS New Member

If that was the case then why would you want to go back. Tell them next time you're sure their mom did a good job raising them and it's not her fault they went sideways.

15. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

So get this I was shooting Practical Rifle yesterday and the guy who freaked out on me was in the squad I was in. We were st our third station and he had a Negligent Discharge when his rifle malfunction and got kicked out of the rest of the match. I don't want to say that it males me happy, but it kinda does.

16. COLDdeadFINGERS

Karma. But thankfully he wasn't hurt or anyone else. Next time you see him try talking about something else. Maybe he was humbled by this and he turns out to be a good person.

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

It's been several years since this event, when I still lived in Indianapolis. I went to a 250 meter outdoor range, and was sitting at a bench trying to get my scope zero'd. The range was pretty busy, and people were being careful as was customary. But then some total idiot showed up, and without yelling "clear" as was the custom, he just started walking downrange with his target, bullets flying all around him. We all stopped shooting and waited until he returned to the firing line. when he got back, someone made a civil effort to explain to him about the safety rules. The next time he wanted to change his target, he just started running downrange yelling "clear clear". I still had my piece in my hands when he started running, but was in the process of putting it down, when he turned around and started yelling at me about "dropping" my gun when he wanted to go downrange. In seconds he had everybody within earshot yelling at him and calling him all kinds of interesting names. He put his stuff in his car and "vacated the premisis".
    :D

18. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

19. COLDdeadFINGERS

Not only is he risking his own life. He is putting everyone at risk. I don't really want to use the word retarded as to be politically incorrect, so ill just say mentally challenged!

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I guess it must've been his cerebral hemorrhoids acting up. :D