When is the firearm concedered a C&R?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by oznbolivia, Aug 11, 2011.

1. oznbolivia

oznbolivia New Member

Some firearms are a given. The wheel lock, even the flint lock. With all the new production of old arms what is the criteria for C&R. Would a 1935 colt Official Police qualify? The revolver functions well and is in fairly good condition. Is date and condition any part of the formula?

Oz

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I believe a firearm is considered a Curios and Relic when it is 50 years or older. Yours would qualify as a Curio and Relic.

3. oznbolivia

oznbolivia New Member

Thanks, Is there a web site I can see that what all the requirements might be?

Oz

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I think only those listed by the BATFE are Curios and Relics. Thats where to go to get your answer. I can tell you that yours is not. Google BATFE to get their website.

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Well for some reason it showed the wrong link :eek:.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

There are two requirments. It has to have been manufactured 50 years ago and it has to be on the batfe c&r list.

For example m1 garands made in the 40's are c&r eligible. They are on the list and made 50+ years ago. Springfield armory m1 garands made in the 90's are not eligible even though the garand is on the list because they are new production

8. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

The criteria is not limited to guns over 50 yrs old though... It may also be considered a "curio" or "relic"

What is a firearm curio or relic?
    Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1.Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
    2.Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
    3.Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

straight from the ATF website..

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Obselete, comes into the picture also.
    My Walther P1 was made in 1978, it is C&R. Colt 1911, well 1911. Not C&R.
    S&W .38 Police special, not C&R. It has been around since 1899. Used through the 1970's.

10. oznbolivia

oznbolivia New Member

11. rachilders

rachilders New Member

This thread got me wondering about "old" firearms, especially since I have several (my deceased grandfathers 1880's Webley MP revolver for example) that fall under the C&R banner. I don't normally deal with C&R firearms since most of my personal "antique " firearms - such as my SA Army revolvers and "73 Winchester - are modern reproductions. Anyway, my question is does having a firearm that's considered an antique exempt it from regular ATF rules, like the usual forms when purchasing/selling it with neither buyer and seller being a FFL holder, or transporting and shipping it? My understanding is it's similar to the rules for BP firearms with some exceptions.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

C&R- the individual firearm (not the model- THAT gun right there) is EITHER 50 yrs old or older, in its original configuration, OR it is on the list published by the BATFE- does not need to be both. A 49 yr old Marlin 39A is NOT a C&R- a 50 yr old 39A IS a C&R. A Colt Woodsman or a Winchester Mdl 88 rifle IS a C&R, without regard to age- they are specifically named.

Antique- the firearm in question was made prior to 1-1-1899, OR is a muzzleloader made anytime (that does not readily convert to conventional firearm). Reproductions of pre 1899 guns are also antiques IF they do not use ammo readily available in the US. I could make a series of caliber .30 rimfire revolvers, copying the ones from 1870, and they would be antiques- no .30 rimfire ammo made in over 100 yrs.

An antique is NOT a firearm (see 18 US Code 922). As far as the Feds are concerned, you can put it (unloaded) in the US Mail, and send directly to a buyer in another state. SOME state laws (NY and possibly NJ) do not allow that.

13. TheMrMitch

TheMrMitch New Member

Curio: Guns that may not be 50 years old yet but were deemed curio (curious firearm) because of one reason or another. The CZ82.....No Czech army anymore so they were deemed "curiousities" by batfe.

A gun OVER 50 years is considered a RELIC.