When Have Your Preps Come In Handy?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by shadamai, Sep 7, 2012.

1. shadamai

shadamai New Member

When have your preps come in handy? What items did you find particularly useful? Even modest preparations can come in handy in a variety of unexpected situations...

2. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

In 07 when Ike hit we got pretty bad winds here in southern Indiana and the power was down for several weeks in some places. I was without juice at my place for a week. My Coleman campstove came in handy for cooking. After my power came on I let my in laws use it, they needed it for another 3 weeks

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have purchased multiple garage sale items some I have had to use other not so much .
    $3 coleman lantern with half can of lantern fuel . No brainer on this one $125 5500W 110/220 continuous duty generator, this thing is awesome it starts first pull every time if I remember to choke it . Home made alcohol stoves originally made these to use for kayak camping since they are so small but we have 3 of them and have about $4 in all 3 of them and you could cook a meal for a family of 4 on about 15 minutes with them . Other than that thats all the good deals I have gotten that could be used in a prep type situation

4. vincent

vincent New Member

When we got hit by Hurricane Fran in '95, I got caught unprepared...no power for two weeks in my little corner of the world. After banging shins, knees and toes on various items after sunset for two weeks I went batsh*t crazy buying candles. Ended up with probably 100 pounds and have used them many, many times since then in various power outages...

5. csaw44

csaw44 New Member

First aid kit when at the range, tools when off road (I Jeep) Generator during storms and for power tools when 200 yards of extension cord just will not work.

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

We were without power after Andrew when I was a kid and probably the biggest asset was the BBQ grill! :D Even made a b-day cake on it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I fix pizza all the time on the grill. My wife thinks Im crazy but nobody complains when its ready to eat ;)

8. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Never thought about pizza, I'll have to try that. Do you use a gas grill or charcoal?

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have cooked them on both but I now have a gas . really not much difference between then except you just have more temp control on the gas

10. tqu9047

tqu9047 New Member

Tell us more about cooking a pizza on a gas grill.

Tim

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, lets hear more about the pizza on the grill! There is a guy on the wood stove forum that cooks steaks inside his wood stove in a cast iron skillet. That also sounds good. Will be trying that one this winter.

As to the OP: Last year I spent $2000 on a generator, an interlock switch, other parts, and an electrician to hook it up. The generator has TruFuel in it, was just run yesterday, and is all set to rock & roll. I guarantee you the power will NEVER go out again at our house.

12. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

My prepps came in really handy last weekend. Me and I friend were "preparing" for deer season and cleaned out two tower stands. We cautiously approached the stands with wasp spray and a machete. We took out several wasp nests the size of paper plates that looked they were covered in humming birds. We also killed a small cottonmouth.

I know that is not what was meant by preping, but our being proactive keep us from climbing into a stand in the early morning dark and then having to bail out really quick 20ft in the air. Which is metephorically the point of preping in the first place. :D

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have grilled pizza and it is pretty easy. I would think it would be easier than a birthday cake on the BBQ!

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Big ice storm. No power for 18 days. Coleman lanterns and kerosene heaters.

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

It was that storm that prompted us to buy a kerosene heater, that and my wife grew up with wood heat in an old farmhouse, electric furnace doesn't keep the house warm enough for her.

16. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

One time, I was hungry, so I went downstairs and grabbed a can of peaches.

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Thats its man , Set the grill at 350-375 and throw it on until the top is cooked to your desire the crust will be nice and crispy ;)

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Mmmmmm. Sounds easy.....every try it with charcoal? We don't have a gas grill......

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

yes sir used to do it on charcoal before I owned gas , no biggy just a little harder to control the temp thats all and make sure all your charcoal is burnt up if you used lighter fluid , I would say to use a charcoal chimney starter if your going to cook pizza on it that way no chance of lighter fluid taste

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Geeze, you guys are gonna get this thread shut down if people start the charcoal vs. gas barbecue argument! That's as bad as Glock vs. 1911!

PS: Charcoal or natural wood fired is the only way to go!!!!!:D