When did you meet your spouse?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by saviorslegacy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I just realized something the other day. Most of my family and *older* friends met thier spouses between age 17 and age 23. Then I was like, "Hmmmm, kinda strange in my opinion when I look at my age." I'm not sayin Ima go on a grand hunt because honestly, I enjoy being single right now. It means that I can save up more money. :)
    Anyways, I am curious about when all of you met your.... first spouse.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The first one? That would be in the time frame when my little head was doing all the thinking, and my big head agreed with it. About 18.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I got it wrong a couple times. I was 21 thew first time. That was 1984.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My first wife I meet when I was in high school at the stupid hormone filled age of 17.

I don't think anyone should be married till the age of 30. I work with a guy that is 24 and getting married this summer. STUPID I think your still young and figuring out what you really want to do in life weather you have a carrier or not.

5. RTMiller

RTMiller New Member

I met my first wife in a bar when I was 22.

I met my second and last wife on Match.com when I was 42.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I met my first wife while I was in the Army. I was 18. It was a totally stupid move!

7. jbd

jbd New Member

I met mine when I was 23. Married at 24 and still happily married at 35.

8. Leatherneck1775

Leatherneck1775 New Member

I met the only one that counts when I was 23. 31 now and still happy that she has not killed me yet. granted the days not over eather.

9. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I was 17, But didn't start dating till I was 18, Yes the typical high school sweethearts, Married at 23 still married at 38.

10. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Thought I would add, Since my wife just showed up with a XL Iced Mocha that I also work within 10 feet of my wife :D

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I met my starter wife at work when I was 19. It lasted 9 years.

12. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

I met the first one when I was 18, we made it 19 years. And I agree with Tango.

I met the love of my life when I was 38.

The only thing I can say about getting married young is having kids young. We had lots of support and fortunately didn't screw him up too bad. :D Now I'm 42 and he's all growed up and out of the house. Whew.

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Met mine as young teen, she is sister of a friend. Started dating senior year of college, married in our mid twenties and together for 23 years so far...

14. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Awesome story Slo. Isn't it funny how things work out sometimes?

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I haven't met mine yet, and if you see her, would you tell her i've left for Canada please.

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I was a very big dumb kid of 22. Still happily married to this same gal and I just turned 55 last week. We've raised 3 successful kids and still laugh at each other often. A sense of humor is incredibly important for a long relationship...

(And yes, she allows me to have man toys)

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I met mine in college at the age of 24. We married a few years later and celebrated 2 years together back in May. She does her best to keep me straight but that's a big task.

18. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

That is pretty amazing.

19. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I met the woman I eventually married on a blind date of sorts at the drag strip in 1977. My friends GF had brought her with them at one of the events at the strip that I had a couple of customers that I had built motors for and were racing that day. They basically dumped her off on me and went to the grand stands to watch the races. I was in the pits all day. Her name was Kelly. I was 21 Y.O. and she was 17 Y.O. at the time. When I first met her I didn't know that she was 17 and didn't really pay too much attention to her. However, she followed me around that first day at the race track like a puppy dog. I was seeing another woman, Gwen, at the time that worked across the street from where I had my tiney shop and we had been going out from time to time for about going on a year. A week went by and I got a phone call from Kelly, my friends GF had given my phone number to her, and I told her that I was seeing someone else. I thought that would be the end of it. However, she showed up a couple of days later at my uber small shop and hung out and watched me dink around with a couple of motors I was building on that day. This went on a couple or so times a week from then on. Gwens family was in the diamond business and she had decided to go back to New York and go to work and learn the family business. So now Gwen was gone. I never had gone out with Kelly on a date per say but she would show up for a couple of hours or so a couple times a week and hang out in my shop. Actually she was kind of pesky, however, she was a stone cold shapely, size 3, well endowed fox. If she had been taller she could have been a runway model. Probably why at that time I let her hang around as much as I did. Then one day, Gwen had been gone for about 4 months now, Kelly very forwardly told me that her birthday was coming up and that she wanted me to take her out for her birthday. I figured WTH and agreed to take her out. It was at this time that I found out that she was still 17 and was going to turn 18 and that our birthdays were on the same day. Was difficult to know her age prior to this time as she had been going to college since before I met her. (some kind of advanced program for brainey youngers)

Man, from the time that I agreed to take her out on her birthday she was all over me like a duck on a june bug. I literally had to constantly push her away due to her phyhsical advances. I wasn't going to have relations with a minor and I continually kept telling her that.

Finally, the first real date, the joint birthday.

Well,the relations were on from that night on and a year later (1979) we were married. It lasted for 7 years of which the first 4-1/2 years were total heaven but the last 2-1/2 years turned to a living hell for me. We divorced in 1986 and within a year she had remarried. For myself; 2 weeks after the divorce was final I was dating another woman. So there was no thoughts ever of going back with my ex-wife in my camp.

One marriage was enough for me and even though I've had a couple of close calls, one woman in the late 80's and another woman early 90's, I have never remarried and intend to stay single. I date a fair amount and most always tell the woman up front that dating is all it's going to be with me. I do tend, for the last several years now, to find more women of the same mind set as me and we get along great. The others that want more than casual dating usually leave fairly quick and thats fine with me.

The lady I'm seeing now is of the same mind set as me, she has her life and I have mine, and we get togeather a couple of weekends or so a month and usually have a great time togeather. However, if by chance, she starts to push for more than dating I'll be gone. She knows the rules.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  20. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Met mine when I was about 7. Started dating about 10 years later, and got married 4 years after that. The one thing I've learned over all these years is that smarts are non-transferrable. I will never catch up to her, and she will never backslide to my level of stupidity.