When did hangun grips start to be referred to as "handles"?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mountainskytop, Dec 6, 2012.

1. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

Since I joined here I see what I have always referred to as grips on handguns being now constantly being as "handles. IMHO this sort of flies in face of traditional handgun nomenclature. Are we "dumbing down" the handgun nomenclature to make it more easily understandable orvwhst?understandable, or what?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would think "handle" actually probably came first, as the old SA revolvers of yesteryear were referred to sometimes as "plowhandled".

I don't really have a clue, but it seems reasonable to me.

What is this in reference to? If the old SA revolvers, then that may be your answer. If newer semi autos... Then I dunno.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Next comes: holdie thingies.
    Remember, in this modern age we live in, pointing out people's mistakes is the act of a hateful extremist (or racist), so stop it and just "go with it" you hatemonger. ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I haven't seen too many people refer to them as "handles". Most people here call them grips.

You find "handles" on brooms, mops, hammers, and axes. Definitely NOT on guns.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There are a lot of people who buy a few weapons and just shoot them. They don't read a lot about guns because they don't care about other weapons than the ones they own. There are a lot people that refer to a magazine as a clip. This thread sounds more like a pet peeve than a communication issue.

Just like there are many people who can bust an aspirin with a rifle, that have never set foot on a range. They have done plenty of backyard plinking and have been taught to shoot by someone with military training. They can't write a book about shooting but they are damned good at it.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Agreed. And I don't know where this guy is looking but I've never seen grips referenced as handles. Though I believe it to be a more accurate term. I would think the grip is the piece attached to the handle, usually screwed on, that's removable and interchangeable. This far I've yet to see our heart anyone differentiate between the removable grips and non, which seems incompetent to me.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

When did people start referring to handgun stocks as grips?:p

This kind of stuff doesn't bother me half as much as the severe anal retentive types that go totally ballistic if someone has the temerity to call his magazine a clip.:eek::eek:

8. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

My much older brothers were in WWII and always referred to magazines as clips even though I personally know the technical difference. That probably came from their training with the Garand. Some people should really get a life and stop getting their undies in a bunch over this issue!!

9. locutus

Absolutely.

I believe it was Jeffie Cooper that started that krap.:mad:

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

My father, a Vietnam vet, did the same. I'm a big fan of being as proper and educated as I can in everything I take interest or participate in discussion in, so I took it as a kindness when I was first corrected here, but would never do so to him. Older generations don't take such things well, in my experience. And it's truly of such insignificance I can't even begin to explain. Lol

So much agreed!

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When the hell did PC creep into the gun culture? Facts are most people really don't know the reciever from the grip frame. Yes, grip frame not handle frame. And I will say clip because it takes less wind to say than magazine and I am lazy.:D

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Grip frame or frame grip? Isn't the frame one piece and the grip or handle is a part of it. I think I'm going to start calling it handle honestly. It most accurately describes the part without exaggerating it with convoluted nomenclature.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Lots a luck, call Ruger and order a Black Hawk handle! The SA has a reciever and a grip frame.;)

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Beg to differ Sir...:D

[​IMG]

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my personal viewpoint is that those that are more knowledgeable about firearms should correct the newbie's mistakes so they learn the correct terms and nomenclature for the firearm and it's parts, but in a friendly and unbiased way. if they are truly here to learn and gain understanding, they won't get bent out of shape or take offence. many of them are just new to firearms and don't know the correct terms for parts of the firearms and do want to learn. using the correct terms and names helps us to help them when they are having a problem.

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Don't have that problem, no such fun in my collection.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Never before heard older or younger refer to grips as handles.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There is a time and a place for everything. If someone is trying to order parts, I agree help them out! Tell them the proper names so there is no confusion on the phone.

Newbie training can be confusing. Most people are close to being overwhelmed by just trying to line up the sights to hit a can or target at the range. The range it's self is overwhelming for new shooters. You want to turn someone off from going to a range, overwhelm them with information. The idea is to let them have fun and become regular shooters.

I know people that can't point out a charging handle that can fix a gun in their sleep. Knowing the proper name of parts has nothing to do with experience. Knowing the proper names of parts means you have spent a lot of time reading about guns. I have seen people walk into a gun shop with a Browning lever action all tore down. They walk up to the counter and say I need this here thingamabob. They stick the thingamabob back in the action and show the gunsmith how it's broke and the gunsmith orders a part. This guy puts the Browning lever action back together on the counter and goes home.

I would guesstimate that 75% of trained armorers can't disassemble and reassemble a Browning lever action.

19. locutus

Armorers are usually trained and certified by the manufacturers. A certified Browning armorer can reassemble a BLR, or he won't get certified by Browning.

20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I just refer them to the owners manual. Lol