When Buying Used, Ever Notice...?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by KMO, Oct 23, 2012.

1. KMO

KMO New Member

I find it amazing, and even a little bit humorous, that most gun owners will support the practice of breaking in a new handgun by firing several hundred rounds through it, especially a semi-auto pistol. I happen to agree...it's a good idea. I've had pistols that have required 500 rounds or more (and some ramp polishing) before they became reliable.

But, it seems that whenever I go to look at a used gun for sale, it always is reported to have an extremely low round count, typically 200 rounds or less. This just happens too often for it to not cause one of my eyebrows to raise a little...:cool:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You'd be surprised how many people buy guns on a weekly basis, shoot them once and then trade them in. That said, not all gun traders and ffls are honest. You can usually tell if a gun has had a lot of rounds through it.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Saw a Colt SAA advertised as "Cly never turned" Very smooth action :confused:

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The fact that many folks don't realize they have to cycle 300+

rounds through an auto pistol would be a boon to the informed,

if the gun and pawn shops weren't charging 25% over retail new

value for these "low round count" pistols, anyway... :cool:

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lmfao. That's a good one. Even better than "never fired, great shooter". Lol

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Folks get creative when discribing stuff for sale huh :D

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They sure do. I often get laughs out of it and wonder if I'd sell more guns if I wasn't honest. If a gun is junk (auto ordnance 1911 for example) I'm gonna tell you and recommend something better in the same general price range. I get a kick out of people who bring me guns and say they haven't been shot much but they are packed full of lead and brass filings.

8. KMO

KMO New Member

Well, I will admit that I once came across the ultimate low-round-count revolver for sale. This poor young guy had never owned a firearm before, and he chose to buy a Ruger Alaskan .454 for his first gun. I have no idea how he landed on that selection right out of the chute. Anyway, he loaded it with .454 casull rounds, went out to fire it, it hurt his hand, and the revolver immediately went up for sale. His story was very believable. When I bought it from him, he didn't even seem to want to touch it!:eek:

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Stuff like that does happen.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My issue with used guns is the last person broomed it, for one

reason or another.
    Anymore, I'm a little reluctant to discover

that true reason for myself, in light of the sad fact many new guns are considerably

cheaper.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hell, i've bought/traded for many guns new & used that i've sold/traded off without ever firing them or firing a couple times- Depends on my mood at the time :eek:

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm guilty of it myself. I bought a marlin 336 from a guy. He bought it new, put a box of ammo through it and his wife made him get rid of it. I paid $125 for it. Put a box of ammo through it and sold it for $200. The ffl I sold it to then sold it for $300. Lmfao

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

You guys would be surprised. I bought a gun, put exactly seven rounds through it, had a financial emergency and sold it.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Been there a time or two :eek:

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's what I think is going on more often than not. I see regularly, young guys, usually very early 20's, usually with a young wife and a baby, who are the ones most often selling these barely used guns.

Occasionally it's an older man who has a run of bad luck, or doesn't know what he has, or just doesn't care, and they're selling off a gun or two pretty cheap.

I think there's usually a woman involved, and a young fella that doesn't understand anything yet.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

The common factor bein a woman :D

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I got a gun for my wife.
    Best trade I ever made. Lol

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

BIG Groan :p:p:p

19. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

I would trade my wife in for a gun and I ain't jokin! ...oh sh*t. Just remembered wife checks my phone, how to you delete posts again?

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Considering I'm still legally married...
    I'd trade mine for a runny watery dog turd, and I'd consider myself way ahead of the pack.