When all was well

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sbeezy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

So I'm not really new to shooting, but I am pretty new to gun ownership. I bought my first firearm last November, just before everything went to hell in a hand basket. I bought a .22 and along with it a box of ammo. I didn't go look for the ammo, the salesman went and got it, so I never really looked at what all was in stock. Shortly after, sandy hook happened and every shelf was empty.

So my question is, after that lengthy preface, what was it like before all of this? Was ammo plentiful and the roads paved with gold? Could you just walk in any store that sold ammo and find what you needed? If so, will those days return? I'm tired of feeling like I'm always on the hunt just to feed my guns, and usually coming up short.

And sorry in advance if this has been covered or asked.

2. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Yep that is what it was like. I about 30 to 60 days all will be back to normal but the prices will be a little bit higher.

Jim

3. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I'm looking forward to that. The prices won't mean as much to me as I didnt know what they were like before. I think that first brick of .22 was like 18 bucks for 500 rounds.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I remember a time when a box of .22 cost $.50.
    (And a gallon of gas was cheaper.)

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away......

Matter of fact, it was a Ford Galaxy 500- we used to drive over to the local gun shop OR hardware store OR Sears OR Montgomery Wards OR JC Penney OR,...well you get the idea.

LOTS of places sold guns- and ammo. Small stores. BIG stores. Not tucked away in some corner. Right over there in Sporting Goods, just beyond the basketballs, but before the fly rods.

Dealers ran SALES on ammo. Buy one, get one half off. There was an OCEAN of military surplus ammo- 30-06, 7.62 NATO, .30 carbine- even 6.5 Arisaka, .303 Enfield, 6.5 Carcano and 8mm Mauser. While looking at the ammo, go pick out a rifle in that caliber- there are barrels of them over there.

New ammo, bulk ammo, surplus ammo. .22 ammo? Shorts, long, Long rifles? Rat shot? Hollow points? Match ammo or plinking ammo? Boxes of 50, bricks of 500, or bulk packs? Sometimes the dealer did not have room on the shelf (start of hunting season) so boxes would be stacked on the floor.

And while that was happening, people like me gradually bought a little more than they would shoot, and my supply increased. When I caught a really good sale, I would lay in a supply (9mm 115 gr for $5.45 a box? Yeah, I'll take 2 cases). Found a small dealer closing down, with 50% off all ammo. Took my truck with me. Did not trust the shocks on the cars for that much weight.

If a dealer was out of stock on something they would order it for you- or call around to find who had some.

AND WHEN HAGGLING OVER THE PRICE OF A NEW GUN, A DEALER WOULD USUALLY TOSS IN A BOX OF AMMO.

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

Before Sandy Hook, 22lr was plentiful. Average bulk price around $20/500 rounds.

7. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

I won't tell you what I remember the price of gas was! :D

8. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I used to wake up in the morning there would be a few bricks of 22lr ammo sitting on my front porch. Sometimes there would be a note that would read "I have too much ammo, I hope you can use it this. If not, please give it to someone who can use it, or just throw it away". Yes, it was nice in the good old days.

9. 1turkeyhunter

1turkeyhunter New Member

Flash back........

image-958844211.jpg

Bottom left corner, wonder if they still have some in stock? :eek:

Edit: sorry the pic sucks trying to zoom.... These guns are 3 and 4 dollars at sears roebuck. Bottom left states prices are subject to increase without notice, and all current stock can be purchased at these prices.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  10. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

You're lucky to have been able to experience that. It sounds wonderful. Haha. People my age got screwed. Shooting is too dang expensive and sometimes impossible if you want to keep your ammo stock up at home.
    And then there's gas. Forget road trips. You can do it but it'll cost ya.

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like things were pretty sweet before all the crap. I can't wait for it to go back to normal.

11. rurak

rurak New Member

I think this is the new normal ....

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

13. txpossum

txpossum New Member

While I never bought ammo by the caseload, much less the truckload, I do usually buy several boxes per month and have built up a moderate supply. The only problem is that I stock for 14 different calibers, so while my choice is wide, it's not as deep in some calibers as I would like. I've been through at least two runs on ammo with the resulting shortages since 1998, and always keep a reasonable stockpile. The good thing about multiple calibers, though, is that there's always something on the shelves to fit one of my guns.

14. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I only shoot 4 calibers, and it doesn't help that they're the most post popular ones.

So ammo runs/shortages are recurring? Why don't people learn to ride it out and not go crazy? This ones been going on for 8 months now. I find that kind of amazing. The sheer amount of ammo people rushed to buy has left the shelves mostly empty for almost a year. I didnt that that was possible. And the DHS hoarding doesn't help.

15. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Ammo...???

In my area (central North Carolina)... 9mm (Luger and Mak), 40S&W and 22lr are still scarce. 223, 5.56, 308 & 30.06 in rifle... 45ACP, 380, 38 special & 357 in pistol are slowly reappearing on shelves. I have no reason not to think that the inventory on the others will not ease up as well by the begining of this Winter.... That is, until the next event causes the next panic (and that is what it is.. a panic, not a conspiracy, no secret Government plot, nothing but a panic) starts this whole crap all over again.

The truth of the matter is when times are tough you find out who you can count on... and I will NEVER do business with Cheaper Than Dirt or buy ammo at a Walmart ever again. There are also a couple of private relationships I have that where trust is no longer there.... All in all, this is a great study in human nature.

16. rurak

rurak New Member

This may not be news to anyone but I recently bought ammo at a New Hampshire wal mart and I had to show my ltc ....... since when do you need any kind of license other than drivers to buy ammo?? A friend of mine who lives in Mass. Also went to a different wal mart in New Hampshire and they refused to sell him ammo because he wasn't a NH resident ...... wtf is up with that $^it wal mart!!!