Firearms Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Model 29 Update: I had gotten a Model 29 Silhouette model with a "blown" cylinder. The cylinder is bulged from an overload. The bulge is not visiable to the eye. The gun would also come unlocked and rotate on firing. This was a separate problem.These were not hotrod loads. The gun was returned to the factory and the cylinder was replaced and gun updated on my dime. The unlocking problem went away. There is some risk getting a second hand magnum revolver....or maybe I have just been unlucky. Nobody touches my old 4" Model 29.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Mowgli
Had a 29 4" was more like a flame thrower with full loads , gave it to my son. They have great triggers. Be Safe.
Chris
Personal Preference: The 4" does OK. To me, those guns' the 4" 29's, turn into a real gem shooting handloaded 44 Special rounds. The N frames were originally built back in the day as 44 Specials. If I get the hots to shoot a 44 Magnum there are two perfectly good Ruger Single actions here. My 29 no dash has been here since the 1960's and remains in very good mechanical condition. What I'm doing is handling the gun like a Model 19. That is, as a part time Magnum.

Added: My 6.5" Model 624 in no slouch either. I shoot both guns using Skeeter Skelton level loads which are relatively low pressure and work very well. If I need more gun than that that best be going fast for a rifle or shotgun. 😲

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
M T
I carried a S&W 65 3" it's like you posted a 357 mag.light. k frame , great revolver but wasn't designed to us a steady diet of magnums , practiced with 38spl. Just keep those cylinders clean.
Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
99.5% of my revolver shooting is done with reduced loads. Whether .357, .41, .44 or .45.

I have magnum loads, but shoot very few.

When I feel the need for an earsplitting, fire-breathing dragon; I get out the .30Carbine.
Gets everybody's attention and doesn't break my hand.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yeah, the secret is out. They're getting scarce. I keep track, my average price over the last decade gradually rose from ~$350 to ~$500. Now they're rarely for sale and generally $600 and I've seen some for $800.
I think paid $175 or something like that brand new, it still looks new and my Security Six isn't going anywhere. Ruger makes great guns IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Should this thread be moved into the "Revolvers" section?
I'd say that any discussion of revolvers would be dominated by Ruger and Smith&Wesson. Why? More of those guns in circulation. We got a Uberti, Hi-Standardi and Colt revolvers represented also. Point being no telling what's apt to show up. Check it out moving with OldGnome.

On another forum in a similar discussion this guy would come along with his wonderful Korth revolvers. It worked like clock work. It was like a putdown to us ordinary mortals.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts