Wheeler FAT wrench

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Mossyoakman3006, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

Wondering what you guys think about these things they look kinda flimsy to me, I've been looking for a inch pound torque wrench I probably wont need to use it that much so dont wanna spend alot on one, thought I could find one at my local hardware store but there kinda hard to find. Any thoughts on these things

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got one as inch pound wrenches are difficult to find. seems to work fine. its not as flimsy as it looks. like any torque wrench dont store it at any setting other than 0.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Mine works just fine for my needs, which is primarily for mounting bases and scopes. For that purpose, I wouldn't need a better one.

4. Mossyoakman3006

How about action screws on a remington 700 I've been doin some research and it seems like the 55 inch pounds is the number, got a bell and carlson stock on the way and wanna make sure I get the torque right. Wondering since I think the rateing on the FAT wrench is 65 max, would it hold up and be accurate??

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I would think that 65 inch pounds is enough for just about any firearm need that would come your way. But maybe someone with a little more experience than me could answer better.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

no real way to tell other than putting it on a torque wrench calibration rig.

55 inch pounds is about 4.5 foot pounds

the wheeler isnt a precision instrument but its good enough for gun applications. if you want a much more accurate one your going to drop the price of a gun on one.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I refuse to skimp on torgue wrenches....Snap On is the best IMO and MAC is fine....most of the others won't hold a calibration and then your just guessing. Yes, you'll spend money but if you care for the wrench the way they should be cared for they will last you a lifetime and rarely need recalibrating.

8. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

For a pillar beded stock 35 inch pounds is the norm for action screws.
    F.K.

9. Mossyoakman3006

To be honest I dont know if you would consider the stock I am getting a pillar bedded stock it is a Bell and Carlson Medalist tactical light it has a full length aluminum block planning on skim bedding the recoil lug area what would the torque be on a setup like that.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Your rifle is gonna be AWESOME, be sure to give us some pictures!!!

11. Mossyoakman3006

Will do, wish it wasn't gonna take 8weeks for the stock to come in oh well lookin at a timney trigger this rifle building thing is addictive

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The Wheeler FAT wrench is actually a pretty good piece of kit. It is not pinpoint accurate, but will stay within about 4-5 inch lbs, which falls within the acceptable range for gun related projects.

I keep one in my range tool kit and use it a lot. It stays calibrated to another Wheeler that I use, so until they fail to "mate" up I'll keep using them.

And I think Midway gives them a lifetime warranty. The early ones had some problems, but the current crop seem to have the problems addressed.

13. Mossyoakman3006

Well, got a Wheeler professional scope mounting kit, for the most part is a good kit the only problem that I had was the ring alignment bar these things are worthless at least with my Warne ring and bases they will not allow for the rings to get tight enough to eliminate movement the FAT wrench actually seemed to perform very well dont know how accurate it is but it does seem to be consitant

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Should have gone with the Kokopelli Products Alignment kit. Warne rings are tougher to align and lapp than standard split ring sets, due to the way the tighten. Great rings, but not easy to align and lapp.

15. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

One thing to look at.
    If you buy good quality rings and a quality one piece base, such as a Farrel base, there will never be a need to lapp rings.
    Gun manufacturers don't always drill their holes perfect, for that reason, I always suggest a good base.
    Before I retired from my gunsmithing business, I always did my best to advise customers to buy quality bases and rings. It protects your scope.
    Just drop a bar into the bases and tighten up the rings. Your scope will be perfectly aligned with the rings. No need to lap.
    The one piece base also strengthens the action which can improve the accuracy due to less flex of the action when the rifle is fired.

Rings and bases are no place to skimp. I never use 2 piece bases on my rifles.
    The amount of force a scope puts on a base and rings when the rifle is fired is considerable. You need a set up as solid as you can get.

John K

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

With all due respect to your background, I know some people who will completely disagree with that statement.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

John, the quality of the rifle, rings and bases has no affect whatsoever on whether or not the rings need to be lapped. Slight manufacturing imperfections will always be present, and necessitate the need for lapping.