Wheel weights for casting bullets

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TankTop, Jun 25, 2019.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

C3, I guess I'm old fashioned, but I still prefer the RCBS or Lyman lubri-sizer and Thompson's "Blue Angel" lube.

I used Rooster Lab's "Zambini Red for many years, but it's not made anymore.

BTW, plain old NRA formula 50 percent Alox and 50 percent Beeswax works very well, but IME it's quite smoky.

towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  2. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I see quite a few RCBS die boxes on your shelf up above. I bought my very first press from Gander Mountain's very first store in Wilmot, WI in 1969. First set of loading dies were also RCBS in .30-06 for my Model 70 Winchester. Later I started using Redding dies and all my handgun caliber dies are Redding.
    My shooting buddy's father worked for Western Printing in Racine, WI, so when they made the transition to new printing methods, Tim and I got to haul away as much "linotype" printing metal that my Ford pickup could haul. I swear the bumper was scraping on the road. The linotype was in half-round shape and printed outline pictures for coloring books, so we had to bust up those half cylinders so they could be melted and poured into Lyman ingot moulds. Those semi-circle drums rang like a bell when we smacked 'em with a hammer and were some of the hardest cast bullets I ever shot and cast, from an H&G 2 bullet mould to get 255 grain .45 Colt, Keith style bullets. Those cast bullets never came out to exact size, so I had to work some overtime until I could afford the purchase of a Lachmiller bullet sizer/lubricator. Then, I had some very accurate shooting .45 Colt bullets, at .452 diameter, from my Colt SAA 7 ½ inch revolver.

towboater and OLD Ron like this.

3. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

At one time linotype used to contain mostly tin and from all the old books on making hard bullets, that was the best additive. Then tin got pretty expensive and hard to get and I remember reading about using antimony and that because of slightly different melt temps, pure lead could form on the surface of crystalline antimony and cause smearing of lead in the firearm bore, so it does pay to have a melting machine that keeps a good temp that can be adjusted for consistent lead/antimony mix. I still have some old linotype ingots that are probably pure tin, they do ring when tapped, anyway I keep them for future use when I want to make bullets for my .44 mag. using the Elmer Keith type dyes, 245 grain bullets on top of a full charge of 296 powder has done me very well over the years.

OLD Ron likes this.
  4. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess when I get enough gold from my stream, I'll contact one of you! This has gone well beyond my comfort zone!:(

towboater likes this.
  5. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Where do you live RJF ?
    I may want to do some panning one day ..... would be happy to trade lead for gold !
    Probably could get a bus full for a weekend there ! We can tell you all about casting while we are scooping up gold . Seriously .... make a list of things you are looking for & members may have some of it laying around to get you started . I wish we knew each other about a year ago ..... I had extra reloading things & brass up the can .

towboater likes this.