What's your take

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by BeyondTheBox, Apr 24, 2013.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

1. There was a complaint made to the police.
    2. The police were trying to "secure" the area.
    3. Rebelious behavior did put the police in the position that they felt they needed to "secure" the "threat".

Both are not "correct" in how the situation was handled (video is missing some portion. Especially, how was the vet first approached?).

Open carry in Florida does have reservations where and how it can be done. Concealed carry, too.

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Sounds like there were multiple calls made to the police. But what's to secure? That excuse could be made for any form of open carry if we let it be used, sounds like a poor one to me. Kind of like reasonable suspicion. Reasonable is not definable and unacceptable to me when it comes to enforcement of anything. I guess it's open to interpretation. I didn't think the guy was acting in a manner that warranted anything, but as stated, who knows what they chose to leave out... lol

Thanks for your thoughts here!

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The "secure" thing for the LEO is for them to have control of any and all firearms in responding to a complaint.

Scenario 1: Husband and wife are arguing. Neighbor complains to LEO. LEO responds and finds that husband has a firearm in his holster on his side. Normal response to a domestic disturbance complaint is that it could escalate to something bigger. First LEO action is to disarm husband.

Scenario 2: Complaint made of "Man with a gun". LEO responds. Does LEO know the man's intentions? No, so disarm, then discuss. If man has nothing to worry about, man will comply. If man is up to no good, then man tries not to comply.

Scenario 3: LEO observes lady doing a traffic violation. LEO follows lady then turns on the lights. Lady pulls over. If lady did not pull over, then suspicion takes over that lady is up to no good and "flight = guilty" of something.

Securing a scene of firearms is for most LEO's standard procedure. They do not want things to escalate to a level where firearms could be used.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

My problem with all these open carry activists is their refusal to cooperate with police. Even when asked for their name often they won't divulge that. If they're so proud of their activism then why are they hiding behind it?

I understand not wanting to be disarmed and fighting that, but not being cooperative is what always seems to lead to it. So you're absolutely right there Dan.

There have been several of these videos done here locally. The cops always seem to be a lot more understanding and accepting. Seems is the same guys in different towns. I'd guess videos like the one above was a cautionary tale for police across the country. Why risk the job loss over someone just looking to set you up.

Then again isn't that what cops do to us in speed traps. So perhaps it's karma. Lol