What's Your Opinion on the classic 30-06?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Jan 20, 2011.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I got rid of my brush gun .444 Marlin because a friend wanted it,but reilistically I couldn't afford to shoot the thing anyway having to spend $39 after taxes for a single box of 20 rounds.I been doing alot of research on calibers that have alot of bang for the buck,and the 30-06 seems to be about as powerful as you can get for the money,only $16 a box.I will be using whatever caliber I get for shots under 100 yards on 100lb-250lb whitetail deer in a somewhat brushy area.I figured I could use as heavy bullet as I can and get away with it and the biggest thing is that I can afford to practice all year for the next hunting season,but what is you guys' opinion on the old 30-06?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

its a very good hunting round very easy to reload with an enormous selection of bullets for many applications. dont expect mil-surp ammo to be accurate out of a newer 30-06.

for versatility accuracy and utility 3 thumbs up

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

One of the top calibers for a one gun senerio world wide period.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's a great round and is available in hundreds of variations. You should be able to find a very nice used rifle in '06 for a good price.

The .308 is supplanting it in many cases, but the '06 isn't going away. Not to mention that it is available anywhere.

5. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

It has come up many times in recent conversations at work; what cartridge for deer? There are 3 or 4 that seem to rise to the top.

1. 30-06 - Battle proven, years and years of taking nearly any north American game. Available any where ammo is sold. More variation of factory ammo available then any other cartridge.

2. .308 - Same as above. Not as many variations available factory loaded. Practice ammo can be found cheap.

3. 30-30 - So many years the gold standard of deer gun. Still readily available. Lacks the longer distance ability of the above too.

4. .270 - Basically the same as .30-06, just not quite as varied form the factory, and not quite as readily available.

Others that always come up are the 7mm rounds, .243, the bigger lever guns in .35 rem, the list is endless, but the above four are very, very common and that means cheap ammo and great selection of used guns.

30-06 would be the number 1 round I would suggest for anyone looking for a hunting rifle in the lower 48. A huge number of great guns are chambered in it.

Good luck with your new firearm.

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

100 yard brush gun?

I've got two. Marlin 336's in 30-30 and 35 Rem.

7. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If I had to pick just one centerfire rifle to use for the rest of my life, the 30-06 would be the caliber. It's versatile and widely available in many loads. I took my first deer with it, and most of them since that first deer. Can't go wrong with an ought-six, IMHO.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You can't go wrong with a 30-06 and no matter what you are hunting in North America, it can get the job done.

You also get a boatload of rifles to pick from and the only limitation is your budget. Don't think for the minute you can't get a great shooting rifle for a reasonable price.

9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I was looking at just a cheapy gun like a Rem 770 or something,my average shots are less than 50 yards on deer so I figure that even if the 770 isn't as accurate as the 700 or a handful of other rifles,at my range of shots the lower than perfect accuracy won't multiply much that close.

10. tsweep

tsweep New Member

Really can't go wrong with the 30-06. I've put hundreds of the 180g PSPs through my cheapo Remmy 710, have to say fairly accurate for what it is.

11. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

There are better guns for the same money. The 770 is a tried-to-fix-the-710 gun and it's still not so great. Savage, Marlin, and a few others make easily obtainable guns, new and used, for the same amount of cash. The lever guns (like the Marlins) are all over the used market and seem to be out of favor with a lot of folks. You can find some great deals on used ones. Many have fired less than 100 rounds in their lifetime, yet taken 20+ deer. Around here they can be found in 'hunted-with' condition for less than $300. For a deer less than 100 yards out, it's nearly perfect, and has been for generations.

12. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

If I were to pick one of my modern day relics I would grab my Rem 760 06. I know it will hit within 1 moa with anything I put down the tube @ 100 yds. I have more accurate rifles but not better all around calibers. Maybe not the best at any one situation but the best all around.

13. jsj127

jsj127 New Member

Inexspensive rifle, cheap factory ammo, and most shots 0-100 yards on deer, I'm thinking a nice previously cared for .30-30. Around here you can find nice used .30-30's for $200-$300. Factory ammo about $12-$14 a box. But the .30-06 is always a great choice. If you were to go with the 06 I'd say a marlin xl7 for a new inexpensive rifle or for a $100 or so more the tc venture or weatherby vanguard or find a deal on a used rifle. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

14. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the 30-06. My first centerfire rifle was a 700 bdl in 30-06 it's been a faithful companion on a lot of hunts. If I were to choose a cheaper rifle today I would go with either a marlin or a savage etc. I would avoid the cheaper rems as everyone I know who has one is not very happy it. Good Luck!

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I use a 9.3x57 286gr out to 150 yards!! Why be normal.
    The .30-30 is a classic..
    I went w/ a Browning BLR in .308 for longer ranges then the 9.3 can handle.
    .30-06, no flies on it at all, great round.
    So many great choices that fit the bill on this one that use less expensive manufactured ammo.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you aren't shooting past 50 yards why not get a nice 30-30 lever gun? That is more then enough gun at that range and using open sights it would be faster in locating game and follow up shots. You can pick up a good used Marlin for $250 if you shop a little bit and get a lifetime of service out of it.
    I have taken deer at 50 yards with my 30-06 but if I know the longest shot I'm going to be taking is 50, it's not the weapon I go for. Inside 50 I'd go for my 44mag Blackhawk or my 12ga. I don't yet own a Marline 336 but when I do it will be with open sights for the closer shots just like you've mentioned.

Oh yeah, 30-30 ammo is cheap too.

If you plan on hunting other game such as bear, elk, moose or any of the larger game found on NA the 30-06 will handle it. If whitetail close up is your only game go with a 336 in 30-30.

17. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I still have my old Rem 742 in .30-06 and it has taken it's share of Georgia whitetails. It was my first big game rifle, but I have since changed to .308 in both a Rem 700 and my M1As. The .308s are just as deadly and considerably more accurate. I love them all.

18. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

Nuttin wrong with the .30-06 for your needs, but a 30-30 or 35 Rem lever gun would do the job as well, and the ammo is on sale a bit cheaper at least in my area. If you wanted more power also consider a .308 -- will do anything a '06 will do and in a short action -- which means a lot to me in a bolt action -- cycle one of each and you will see what I mean. Ammo is same price as '06 usually.

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I actually do have a 30-30,it's a 1945 Winchester,it's just that I can't figure out how to put a scope on the thing,and the open sights are not very good,I tried to put fiber optic sights on it but couldn't get them on,but anyways,I just wanted a little more power than the 30-30.

20. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

At 100 yards or less consider shooting sabot slugs from your 870 Express with a slug barrel. Just another option.