Firearms Talk banner
781 - 800 of 841 Posts

· Registered
1,381 Posts
Over the years I've liked big bores, .44 mag is my favorite, I even toyed with the idea of getting a Desert Eagle in .44 or .50, thankfully I handled a few and came to the conclusion that a Ruger Redhawk was at the upper end of what I want to handle, I even handled a S&W .460, large cool factor but heavier than the Ruger and that's heavy enough for me, as it is when I'm carrying the Redhawk I think I may be leaning to the carry side. Another factor for the .44 mag is ammo, it's expensive as it is but I imagine the .460, the .500 and others outside of the .44 mag are rather expensive, as it is over the years most all the .44 mag ammo I have on hand is all hand loads, using hard cast lead 245 gr. SWC bullets.

· Banned
11,754 Posts
So you recommend cowboy loads? Ya, kinda wondering what kinda ammo i need.
From Cimarron's FAQ's:

Can I use _ ammunition in my Cimarron Firearm?

We recommend that you shoot only standard over the counter ammunition that meet SAMMI specifications, SAAMI.

Shooting any ammo like +P or reloads will void the warranty on the gun.

Cimarron Firearms does not have any plans to make any guns that shoot +P ammunition.

· Banned
11,754 Posts
Man With No Name® Conversion
You can hang 'em high or paint the town red with this 1851 Navy cartridge conversion revolver. Either way, this spitting image replica of the 1851 Navy model used by Clint Eastwood in the 1960s spaghetti westerns will surely set you apart from other sixgunners! Retaining a Civil War-era, black powder style loading lever, yet converted to handle modern factory smokeless cartridges in .38 Colt or .38 S&W Special, this 7 1/2-inch, octagonal barreled smokewagon is finished in blue and color casehardening, with a brass back strap and trigger guard. However, its handsome period varnished, walnut grips are uniquely inlaid with the Man with No Name's signature sterling silver rattlesnake, giving this revolver the appearance of being coiled and ready to strike! Here's a cartridge conversion sixgun, introduced by Cimarron that definitely stands out from the crowd!

· Premium Member
11,727 Posts
Man With No Name® Conversion
You can hang 'em high or paint the town red with this 1851 Navy cartridge conversion revolver. Either way, this spitting image replica of the 1851 Navy model used by Clint Eastwood in the 1960s spaghetti westerns will surely set you apart from other sixgunners! Retaining a Civil War-era, black powder style loading lever, yet converted to handle modern factory smokeless cartridges in .38 Colt or .38 S&W Special, this 7 1/2-inch, octagonal barreled smokewagon is finished in blue and color casehardening, with a brass back strap and trigger guard. However, its handsome period varnished, walnut grips are uniquely inlaid with the Man with No Name's signature sterling silver rattlesnake, giving this revolver the appearance of being coiled and ready to strike! Here's a cartridge conversion sixgun, introduced by Cimarron that definitely stands out from the crowd!
Ain't arguing that Brother. My conversion cylinders will handle the pressure of a standard .38 Special, all day long, but each states LEAD ammo only. That's not the issue.

Overall cartridge length, OTOH, is an issue.

.38 Colt, is short enough to fit a converted 1851 or 1861. Even with the bullet poking out of the case. It's what the original conversions were designed for. Same conversion used in the replicas made today.

Case length on a .38 Special is pretty much the same as OAL on a .38 LC round, at factory specs. .38 Special FMJ, LRN, JHP, if it is a true copy of those early conversions, is physically longer than the chamber length or the reproduction cylinder. Therefore, the reason behind my answer.

I also advise against heavy loads, for the same reason I buy steel framed C&B revolvers, as shooters, and brass as display pieces. With BP loadings, brass stretches. Same with standard pressure loads, over a longer period of time, but it will stretch, just like a top break will over time, with modern ammo, made in the late 1800s, to around 1915 or so.

Can I safely shoot smokless loads in a 2nd pattern IJ top break .38? Sure, so long as it's not daily, and I avoid the defensive loads from Buffalo Bore, made for solid frame revolvers. 3rd pattern ones are made for those factory loadings, first pattern ones, were all pre 1899, and IJ didn't fully swich over to smokeless until sometime around 1907 to 1912, according to Bill Goforth.

Given the fact that the man was not only a friend of my grandfather, but The Authority on IJ and H&R top breaks, I'll take his word for it.

How that applies is this. That revolver, cool as it is, with all the modern metallurgy of our modern age, is still, essentially a Colt Open Top, 1871 or 72, and still has the weaknesses of that design. One made in the black powder age. And it ain't my hands that are going to ever be on the grip of it, lighting one off, so PJ can run whatever he wants in it, as long as it fits the chambers. His hand, his weapon, his choice.

But I have 20 years plus, of shooting converted revolvers, including open tops, with modern ammo. I know what fits in the chambers, both drop in, and conversion, and that lead is safe, most tell you not to use jacketed rounds, for a damn good reason. Less pressure as it enters the forcing cone, and travels down the barrel. And the stresses on the design as a result.

Now, here's my advice on this, then I'll move on. When it comes in, check the manual, and measure the depth of the chambers PJ. It should tell you what the actual length of cartridge you can safely chamber, is, and of what material the projectile can be made of. >38 Colt, and .38 Special may seem fairly cut and dried, and straight forward, as you know it ain't gonna be +P or +P+, but that covers a **** ton of different rounds, below that range.

For all I know, they built it based more on the 1862 Navy, with an Army sized cylinder, and even with the back cut back, on the frame, and the conversion plate installed (Nope, no going back to C&B with that one), and you can run full length, full SAMMI pressure LRNs in it, but I get the feeling that the reason they list .38 Colt, is it is in that length. Not the standard length of something like a S&W 636.

Better to triple check, before hand, than to find out, by ending up wiping your *** with a hook, after all.

· Banned
13,195 Posts
Since this thread started, I have acquired four, new to me, handguns. I was not searching out any of them when I found them. I am like the fisherman who trolls, rather than the one who sits on the same hole every time. This one got in my boat this morning. The stars lined up, no import and no export marks, the price was right, the piece in good, tight, shooting condition so I set the hook. My photo caption is inaccurate, I have since found that the production date was '43, not early war. This was the first time I ever shot one and as ugly as they are, they shoot (DAO) very well. It looks like I left a little lint in the bore. ;)

I have now started shopping for guns that I have ammo for rather than the other way around.

Reactions: kfox75

· Premium Member
7,437 Posts
I'm in a bidding war over a North American Arms .22 short mini revolver. I have the .22 mag and .22 lr version already, just want to complete the collection. I'll likely never shoot it but I think they're cool.

· Premium Member
11,727 Posts
I'm in a bidding war over a North American Arms .22 short mini revolver. I have the .22 mag and .22 lr version already, just want to complete the collection. I'll likely never shoot it but I think they're cool.
I say shoot it, otherwise, why have it. Have a Smith in .22 short from the late 1800s, that I still take out ands shoot. Bottom break, single action, spur triger. Fun little thing with Colibris.

Good luck, and hope you get it.

· Premium Member
I like guns....
3,441 Posts
Staccato P.. I was looking for a full size 1911ish pistol. I decided to go with the 2011 Staccato P 9mm.
I only put a single box through it, at $45 for a box of 50. So not much of a range report yet, but definitely not disappointed.. View attachment 228710
Yes im bring up Staccato again. I have a Staccato P, without the cut-out for a red dot. But, I want a red dot for this piece. I'm about ready to send it back to Staccato to have it cut to accept a red dot. Anyone done this??

· Registered
906 Posts
I have no idea. I will know it, when I see it.

There are some specic ones that instantly grab attention, though.

In no particular order:

Ruger Blackhawk 4.6" dual cylinder .45C/.45ACP. I have a Vaquero, prefer the Blackhawk.

1911 Commander size 9mm

S&W .460 Wish list would be Ruger / Marlin build a .460 chambered Super Blackhawk / 336 rifle. In tradition of the old .22s, capable of shooting S, L, LR. A pair to shoot .45C, .454 Casull, .460S&W.

Colt New Police or S&W .32 Long

Colt .25-20

S&W 39

S&W 586/686

· Premium Member
7,386 Posts
I didn't know NA made one in short. I have one in .22 magnum. Sometimes I have mixed feelings that the gun simply isn't big enough or powerful enough for SD but neither I nor anyone else has volunteered to be shot with it. I think it has it's place so it's not for sale. What is true is that it is amazing what little it takes and sometimes how much it takes to kill a bad guy. Best to be a good guy because there are a lot of people like us out there :)

· Registered
15 Posts
Update? Did you win it?

Next one to buy. no idea. Depends on what turns up, at what price.

Last one bought, lifecard in .22 WMR, used, with the .22 LR barrel as well. Right before leaving FL.

Buddy down there had an extra, as his wife bought him one, hid it for his birthday. and he ran across the used one, coming back from work one night, and picked it up. Wife liked it (She's into the oddities), so I made him and offer.

Haven't bought since moving here, as we spent the last 4 months living out of a storage unit, and the 5th wheel, on a friend's farm (Renting the spot, and covering the increased utilities.) Other tenant, who had the apartment above his shop, just signed on a place, so we'll be taking that, in June. Nice little 3 bedroom, 1 bath place, at a decent price.Buying is secondary, and we want to save up and add to what we have left from the house, and buy a small farm here, hopefully with a stocked pond, and some woods.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
I may have another entry somewhere in these 40 pages, if so this is an update. I've sworn off buying any more guns due to my age and the ones already in the safe. That said, if I were to encounter a S&W Model 57 41mag with a four inch barrel,,,,,,,,,

781 - 800 of 841 Posts