What's your next handgun purchase going to be?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Rifling82, May 12, 2019.

1. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Already know what my "next" gun will be; already committed to buy. It's a S&W model 28 6" (357); in beautiful shape. Will fit in nicely with the rest of my S&W revolver collection.

If I had answered this last week it would've been a Kimber RCP. Picked it up beginning of last week. Very interesting little carry gun. I was surprised at how quickly I got used to the trough sights. I really like it. I need to do a little trigger work on it to make it mine but it is off to a good start.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  2. yazul42

yazul42 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Just picked up my latest shooting iron today, an American Derringer Model 4 Alaskan Survival model. It is used but appears to have been shot very little. It was my birthday present to myself although I was a might late. I will definitely pick up a set of oversized grips to help absorb recoil and to improve control, got a very good deal and I think it will be fun and handy little pistol.

3. oO_Rogue_Oo

I've got the Bond Arms in 45 Colt / 410. Honestly I've never carried it. It is big enough and heavy enough that I have other guns that conceal and carry better (and hold more rounds) that are pretty much the same size. I doubt I'll ever sell it, will most likely sit in the safe the rest of it's life though. May get around to having it engraved someday and keep it as an heirloom piece.

When I looked up your #4 I found this.

4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Don't see many Alaskans carrying those.
    To date I have seen exactly 0.
    Will addend, once the Master Guide I used to work for had a bowhunter show up carrying one of these for backup. He pointed the guy at a 1/4 sheet of plywood at 7 yds, said "Shoot that". Guy couldn't hit it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Oldoutlaw likes this.
  5. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Actually I'm having a custom gun built because S&W doesn't want to start building stuff just for me. I'm taking a model 27 frame and installing a 6" Model 24 (target barrel) and having a model 29 Cylinder fitted and the butt ground to a round butt configuration. The whole thing will be polished bright a reblued in like the old Pythons in Royal blue/black. I MIGHT even get some real elephant Ivory grips for it. Should be done in about 3 months. Waiting SUCKS!!!!!!

towboater, Rifling82 and oO_Rogue_Oo like this.
  6. oO_Rogue_Oo

That is an interesting combination. May I ask why a M27 frame instead of a M29 frame? are you using a rebated cylinder and pinned barrel?

Wambli likes this.
  7. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I’m using a 27 because I happen to have one that will be one the donor frame. I found a brand new never installed Model 24 barrel and a older style 29 cylinder so my brain lit up. And yes/yes.

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  8. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

So it's going to be marked .44 Special on the barrel but take .44 Mags in the cylinder?
    Who's assembling?

9. oO_Rogue_Oo

Reason I asked is because a barrel install is a relatively easy install but head-spacing and timing the cylinder and and removing any end shake can be challenging at times.

EDIT: Does sound like a fun project though.

10. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

My gunsmith is taking care of the whole thing.

towboater likes this.
  11. oO_Rogue_Oo

Bluing too or he sending that out? Curious because I need someone who is good myself.

towboater likes this.
  12. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Yes he is. He’s moving his shop but he’ll be back up and running on 2 weeks.

oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  13. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just picked a S&M 629-1 with Mag-Na-Porting in 44mag. I also picked up a Heritage Rancher..

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  14. Lyle_Savant

Lyle_Savant New Member

10 MM in camo to hunt Boar

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a G40 and duracote it.

Although my black G20 would work fine.

16. joeb1

joeb1 Active Member

It followed me home Monday May 4th. Now I need to go shooting.
    20200505_000513.jpg

towboater, PaBushMan and Gatoragn like this.
  17. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Well-Known Member

I'll go be poor somewhere else . ;) Nice ruger

18. joeb1

joeb1 Active Member

This followed me home two weeks ago. [​IMG]

Gh0zt36 and towboater like this.
  19. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

The work has begun :D

This USED to be a Model 27... I decided to stay with the square butt.

IMG_3773.jpeg IMG_3774.jpeg

Rifling82, SSGN_Doc and G66enigma like this.
  20. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never disassembled a revolver to that degree, mainly disassemble the cylinder and the swing out for cleaning. Does the barrel just unscrew? What happens if the barrel is screwed back in tight to the frame but cylinder gap is still too big, or the fixed sights end up off to one side or the other?

Rifling82 likes this.