whats your most expensive shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bobski, Jan 19, 2018.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

a parker wins in my home..............

how bout' you?

122-2272_IMG[1].jpeg

Sniper03, deg, yazul42 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

About $175.00 pawn shop find. I have several others that are not as valuable.

winds-of-change likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i don' own any expensive shotguns anymore. haven't in many years, since i got out of shooting sporting clays. my most expensive shotgun, might cost under $500 to replace. the others, $300 or less would replace any of them.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

All the high dollar stuff is gone. A Browning BSS Sporter 20 would be the most valuable one left. Paid $460 for it, new. Worth quite a bit more now.

6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I have no idea of the values of mine. I have a mossburg 20 ga pump with select choke my dad got me when i passed the hunter safety course back in 1977 and i have a remington 12 ga pump from the 40's i got at an auction in the early 90's and my newest is a stevens 320 with the pistol grip and fiber optics.

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No Parkers, Purdeys or Merkels.

Oh, don't get me wrong- I would LUST after a really nice one- but for right now, the priciest smoothbore I have is a Remington 1100. But it IS an 1100 Light Field in .410. Second is a decent Fox Sterlingworth.

kentucky45, locutus and Dallas53 like this.
  8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a fine shooting piece, but I just don't, and never have had a desire for "high-end" or "pretty" guns. I pine after old, used, military surplus rifles; the ones that have that been-there look, because they have been there and done that. A Swiss Vetterli, a Swede '96 or an Argentine '91 are works of art to me. Neither do I want a gun that is too valuable to shoot. I have an nice SVT-40 that I don't shoot often for fear of breaking it. When I start unloading the collection, it will be the first to go.

I have a friend that has had a NIB Python revolver, sitting in the safe for well over 20 years, the thing has never seen the sunshine since it left the factory and I just don't get it. I know all about the "investment" thing, but guns are meant to be shot or they just as well be the extremely rare "Hooker Barbie" still in the box and gathering dust and dividends.

locutus, Trez, Dallas53 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i'm pretty much in the same camp Mr. Chainfire. a shooter, not a collector. i enjoy seeing really nice shotguns, that are handcrafted, just like any other handcrafted firearm. i appreciate the work and talent it took to make them, and understand why they are so expensive. but they are not for me personally.

the only ones i would own and not shoot would be those that held some sort of sentimental attachment, and fear of them being damaged in some way. the rest, if i'm afraid of shooting them because of losing value from being used, or just don't have the desire to shoot them anymore, then they end up being sold or traded for something i would enjoy owning and shooting.

CloverLeaf and Trez like this.
  10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don't own any expensive shotguns !...... I have a few that are worth a lot, so I have been told, but they were NOT expensive when I got em !.............

11. bobski

ok, back on topic....
    what
    is
    the
    most
    expensive
    shotgun
    you
    own?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  12. bobski

I knew a t-bird collector once. he taught me a very valuable lesson in life.
    once a guy came to him while I was in his shop with a rust bucket 64 bird.
    guy was so happy to have it and wanted this expert to tell him if it was a valuable car.
    his answer was, "son, the 64 t-bird is a very valuable car, only this one isn't." I never forgot it.
    condition was everything.
    thus why people keep guns in safes for decades.
    its so some day they (might) be worth something.
    my brother in law use to get the factory line up flyers at gun shops every year and go to the counter and order every gun in the flyer.
    don't believe me? some people can. and he did. he was well loved by the local shops!
    now, 30-40-50 years later, he goes thru the blue books and looks for the most expensive ones and puts them back in the safe.
    all the rest that were pink elephants, he just sells off to highest bidder.
    what a life. instead of gambling on gun forecasts, he just bought em all and weeded out the ones that weren't over time. ya know, like Jenkins and astra.
    think he'd sell me my favorites for a deal? not on your life.
    needless to say, I haven't seen him in 15 years! lol.

13. bobski

my parker wasnt bought for an investment. its the only gun I can shoulder and I don't even know its near my face. the balance is so perfect, I feels like just my 2 hands are in front of my eyes.
    parker%201[1].JPG

Sniper03, kansas45 and towboater like this.
  14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Nice one. Mine is a Remington 1187 premier.

CloverLeaf likes this.
  15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Right now? probably just a Remington 870.. If I could find one a Winchester 1897 Trench...

Like Chain, I like all the old ugly army guns... :p

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I cant have nice things.. The rarer and older something is the more I want to use it!

winds-of-change likes this.
  17. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

looked up the values of all mine. They are all around 200.00 ea.

18. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Ithaca 37 16 ga. #51 of the 500 gun intro run when they brought back the 16 ga in 1997
    or so. Hand fit, vent rib, choke tubes.

c3shooter likes this.
  19. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I own 3 smooth bores and the most I paid was $350.00 for the 870 Express brand new in the box in '96.

20. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

Before the great fire of '99, I had a few nice shotguns, a Remington M11, Ithaca M37, and a Fox Sterlingworth. I also had a Mossy M500, and a few single shots.

Since the fire, I have used single shots, all H&R. Bought a Remington 870, but it was a POS. Bought a H&R Pardner Pump on a whim to replace the faulty 870, and never looked back, it's been a good one, matter of fact I bought a few more, so my most expensive shotgun now is about $170.

My most used is the H& R Pardner single shot though. 20 gauge. Which brings me to the point of my ramblings.

I really like break barrel single shots. Hurry up Henry, get your new single shot shotguns on the dealer shelves. I could be bragging about my new shotgun here!