whats your favorite?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CaseyChadwell, Oct 29, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

There's a bunch of threads on here about what's your favorite deer rifle, squirrel rifle, coyote rifle, elephant rifle...what have you. How about we go with what is your favorite hunting rifle, period? What is your favorite rifle for your favorite game, and why? Give us some details, favorite load for the rifle, favorite optics for the rifle, show us some pics. If your favorite quarry is targets, whats your favorite rifle for hunting those targets.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

My Sako 25.06 has been used to take anything from spike elk down, caribou, dahl sheep, and down home coyote and jackrabbits. I have it topped off with a Bausch & Lomb 6x24 varmint scope. I haven't shot a store bought cartridge for over 9 years now. I reload everything for it, from 75 grain hornady varmint hollow-points to 120 grain Nosler partitions, and I use Hodgdon H4831 for the propellant of them all.
    I don't target shoot with it anymore, but have been known to embarass all my friends up here when we are taking turns shooting at things across the canyons. From now on I generally have to wait last to get the shot.
    If I could only own one gun in my life, or if there was a fire and I could only save one gun, it would be this one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

3. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 (1997), with an aftermarket Timney trigger. Topped off with a Nikon Buckmaster scope.This is my rifle for any big game in the lower 48 states. It is primarily used for deer. It is a deer killer not a bench rest gun. Decent carry weight, ammo can be found anywhere, lots of accessories available if you need them

Nothing fancy here, this gun likes Remington Corelockt 150 grain ($19 for 20). Have tried more expensive ammo, boat tail slugs, you name it. They all pretty much shoot the same. While this gun can shoot a decent sub MOA group, what it does BEST is hit exactly where I aim when it is cold (ie, reality when you are hunting).

Pictured is said rifle next to 220 yard target on a day when winds were gusting at 20 mph. I shot the same distance that day with my AR (223/5.56 55 grain) and that round got blown all over the map.

Close second is my new Remington 783 in .270 Winchester. Have not taken game with it yet but one of my sons will be carrying that in a couple of weeks and so far it shoots paper real well (3/8 inch group w/ 140 gr)

Attached Files:

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

Sorry,I don't have a favorite,I love all my guns equally ;).
    If it goes "bang" there's an equal place in my heart for it :D.
    ( That way none get jealous :p. )

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

CZ-550 Synthetic chamber in .308 Winchester. The rifle is a Mauser 98 action. Meopta Meostar 3-12x56r with illuminated dot. Reload with Lead free Barnes X 130 grain bullets. I hunt Russian and German boar, Roe deer, red deer, chamois, fallow deer and mouflon with this rifle.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      29.4 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  6. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

That's some passion right there!!! :). Great looking rifle Anna!

7. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I'm going to have to go with my howa 223 bull barrel. That rifle flat shoots everything I've fed it really well, especially my favorite deer cartridge the fusions. With that said, it hasn't had the chance to feed me yet, but season opener is in a couple of weeks and I plan to have her in the stand with me well before the sun comes up!

Next would have to be my TriStar 12 gauge semi auto with a 20inch barrel and interchangeable chokes. I took her out turkey hunting the other evening, but couldn't get any to come into range. But she patterns pretty good and is soft on the shoulder compared to a pump gun. Plan to throw a scope on it in a couple days and use it for a slug gun for deer season too for a couple of the stands where there is too much brush for my 223.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Thank you,Casey. Did I ever tell ya I can see the moons of Jupiter with that scope? :D

9. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I am gonna say my mid sixties vintage Remington 700 ADL in .243 Winchester. It has become my go to truck gun and loved 100 gr Corelokts. Best $250 I have ever spent.

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I own 20+ guns of all kinds. I would have to say my favorite is my 580 series mini-14 that my wife bought me for Christmas in 2007. Its had many upgrades including an accustrut and a trigger job. With my handloads its a solid shooter and I have killed deer, coyote, raccoon, and a lot of paper with it. It isn't the best or most accurate gun I own by far but my girl bought it for me.

11. smarquez

smarquez New Member

My International Harvester M1. I still like it better than my AR's.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  12. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I miss my m1.

I always thought the tanker conversions were a near concept. I don't remember now which company did them...

13. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Rem. Mod. 721 Hands down!

Attached Files:

14. ADM_Anthrax

ADM_Anthrax New Member

My Great Grandaddy's ”obsolete” 99-year old 1899A 303 Savage because it shoots 1” @100 & kills stuff.

[​IMG]

15. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

My 1970 Remington ADL in 7mm mag cal. With the factory stainless barrel. It loves 150 gr corelokt. Also has a vintage bushnell scopechief VI. At recent sight in I had three shots within a quarter, a couple inches high from dead center.

Attached Files:

16. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Rem 700 (VLS at one time), .308, Burris 6.5-20x50, Choate stock, Harris bi-pod, Shilen trigger. It'll do the 1-hole and clover leafs all day at 100 as well as reach out touch something. Yes, I lug this 13.5lbs rifle around and hunt with it. It loves 150g Nosler Ballistic Tips and 168g BTHPs (Nosler J4 over Sierra).

10-19-08_1054.jpg

17. TLuker

TLuker New Member

This is tough because I have needed, or wanted, different things from different guns at different times. My all time favorite rifle is my Dad's .303 with a Charles Daily 4x16x40 scope:

.303.jpg

He gave it to me after he modernized and got a new Ruger in .270. He still says that's when he stopped killing deer and I started. Prior to that I had missed or wounded and couldn't find a lot of deer. After that I never lost or missed another deer and I've lost count of all the deer that old rifle had put in the freezer. I've dropped deer in their tracks at 300 yards with this rifle.

Sadly it's showing it's age and I finally modernized as well. My current favorite rifle is this Rem M700 5R with an M24 milspec barrel in .308:
    308.jpg

It's got a Burris 4.5x14x42 Fullfield E1, and it's my current go to deer rifle but I still have different lighter rifles for long hikes and so on because I don't like carrying this one all day! It's tough picking my favorite rifle because years ago I didn't have the choices I have now. I love the Rem 5R but I can pick lighter rifles if need be. Years ago I had my .303 and that was it. That .303 had to do everything, and it did. For that reason it's still my sentimental favorite, but nothing shoots close to the accuracy I get from the 5R. :)

I'm also a fan of big bullets and shoot 180gr Gameking hand loads in both.

Attached Files:

18. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

That's what I am talking about. Mine is a 99 in 308. I also have a Model 70 Winchester in 300 Weatherby Mag ( no I mean Weatherby just as it is typed not Win.) that I am very fond of. Sorry!!! I couldn't do just one. And then there is a????:D

19. sandog

sandog Member

While I have used , over the years, the .270. 30/06. 7mm Rem. Mag, .338 Mag and .45/70, my favorite now is the .308 Win. I am lucky to live where there is a wide variety of big game. Whitetail, Mule Deer, Elk, Mountain Goat, Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, Wolves, Grizzly and Black bear, Mountain Lion, Moose and Bison. I have shot all of those but the Grizzly, Mountain Lion and Bison with the .308. A couple years ago a friend shot a large Bison with his .308. I just bought another .308 last week. I still have my Savage 7mm mag. for long range, and if I want to hunt the timber, a Marlin .45/70, but the .308 will do it all well, and in a compact action with mild recoil.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  20. ADM_Anthrax

ADM_Anthrax New Member

That 300 must kick like a sea donkey.