What's your favorite World War 2 Fighter Plane?

Discussion in 'History' started by GatorDude, Jun 5, 2014.

1. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

I would add a poll, but there are just too many planes to choose from. My question: what's your favorite World War 2 Fighter Plane?

For me, it's a toss up between the P-40 Warhawk and the P-51 Mustang in all of it forms. Since the P-51 has the better record and really changed the course of the war, I've got to go with the Mustang.

The P-51 Mustang: the Best Fighter of World War II

[​IMG]

2. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Grumman Hellcat. I don't fly, but when I grow up I will have one in my driveway...errr....runway:)

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

The p-40. Heavy, outdated when the war started but man could those pilots give the Japs fits with it.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

F4U Corsair, Pappy Boyington's other plane.

5. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I have Always loved the P51 Mustang. There is Nothing like hearing the sound of one fly over! It's like music, But then I also like the sound of the C130

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Toss up between the Corsair and the Mustang. The mustang had amazing performance. I just find the gull wings, the whistling in flight, and the carrier ability to add the unique cool factor to the Corsair.

7. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]
    Germany: Focke Wulf FW 190

[​IMG]
    USA: Republic P-47

[​IMG]
    Japan: Nakajima Ki-84

[​IMG]
    USSR: Lavochkin La 7

[​IMG]
    UK: Supermarine Spitfire

[​IMG]
    Italian: Macchi MC.205

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  8. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

1. F4U Corsair

2. P-47 Thunderbolt

3. Supermarine Spitfire

4. P-38 Lightning

5. F6F Hellcat

9. TennTrucker

TennTrucker New Member

Love the P51 Mustang

Attached Files:

10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

P-38 Lightning, P-51 Mustang

11. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

My dad made and packed chutes for Pappy and his boys. He was really proud of that. I actually have snapshots of Pappys bunch with my dad in the middle .

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  12. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I like the Mustang and the Thunderbolt.

If America ever wanted to field economical observation and CAS aircraft, the P-51D and P-47D would be the aircraft to do it with.

13. Mouser

Mouser Member

Now we are talking my passion... P-38 is my favorite American plane and the Spitfire for English. I have a strange attraction to twin engine planes so many of the medium bombers and attack aircraft like the Beaufighter, Mosquito and A-20/A-26 are some of my favorites

14. therukh

therukh New Member

P-38 Lightning

Mine was the P-38 Lightning because my mother worked on the wing section as a Rosie the Riveter and bucker in northern Ohio.

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Wow. I almost don't know where to start.

Ask 10 pilots what is the greatest prop plane every built, and 8 will tell you the Mustang. At Oshkosh, there will be pilots flying in in multi-million dollar, top-of-the-line fighter jets. Ask them what plane they would give their eye teeth to fly, and they will say the Mustang. My love of it goes a long way.

But I've always thought the P-40 for all its faults just looks like what a fighter plane is supposed to look like. That shark's mouth under that sharp prop spinner just looks mean.

[​IMG]

16. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

P 47, P38 and the Mosquito. Gotta respect the Mosquito, one of he fastest planes in the war and made out of plywood.

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

4-Mustang, Corsair, Lighting, Thunderbolt. One of my uncles flew The Corsair, but carrier based,..I volunteered at an Av. Museum for 3 years until I moved here. The nearest one I can even go to here is 2 hrs.( 2 of them) either way. I was spoiled having 2 less then 15 mins. away back east.....have not been to a "Real" Circuit Air Show Since '11...darn I need someone to invent mass produced pedal-less Control systems for Aircraft Already......my hand work as well as they always have...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  18. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

The Spitfire. It looks like a fighter should,sleek lines, very agile and could deliver some bad news to enemy fighters.

For the Germans the ME109 Messerscmitt for the same reasons.

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Yeah...

Spitfire too, but more because of the pilots that flew them like Bader, Pickering, and the Canadian kid whose name escapes me just now,.. :(

20. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I just checked the differences between the P-38 and the P-61 “Night Fighter”. I hadn’t realized the P-61 was a much bigger, slower, crew of three aircraft.

Besides the Mustang, are there any other double fuselage aircraft that made it off the drawing boards and into the air?

Did fighters have ‘power steering’ back during WWII, or were they all cables & mechanical advantage?