what's your favorite target?

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by sharpshooter1997, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sharpshooter1997

sharpshooter1997 New Member

Mine are 2 liters. Because that's what I have on hand. What's yours?

ForumRunner_20130212_200958.jpg

2. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

Aluminum cans first, clay pigeons next, and finally Necco Wafers.

eldar

3. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Paper, coffee cans (frozen water) and steel plate.

4. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Anything from plastic water bottles to coke cans. Sometimes golf balls.

5. sharpshooter1997

I need some ideas on swinging targets. Other than steel plates. I don't have any steel nor do I want to pay for it. I need easy stuff.

6. nixfix

nixfix New Member

Living in the communist state of Northern Virginia, mostly paper... :(

7. hmh

hmh New Member

My favorite.

Attached Files:

8. austin92

austin92 New Member

Ice, really let's you know when you hit and you don't have to clean it up :)

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'll shoot at about anything. Mints, Necko's put on a board. Saltines are pretty cool and it's the mosit fun way to feed birds I"ve ever seen. WE've even done asprins but those tihngs arwe pretty hard to hit. I got on a kick some years back with hitting golf balls at 50 yds with a 9mm. Man those things will really take off when you hit them good. The small 22 ammo boxes work pretty good. I bought a dozen bowling pins years ago that I still have some left to shoot at.

I got a couple of the Do-All self sealing targets that have been a real blast to shoot at. Just don't use HPs on them.:eek: I hang them on strings or just let them skip around on the ground making for a target that moves around so you have to reacquire every shot.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

One year in Kentucky we were shooting at gallon milk jugs filled with water. When they were emptied of water, those things went flying, too.

I mostly shoot paper but I like the challenge of anything. I had great fun shooting a watermelon, milk jugs, balloons. I want to try eggs and grapes.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Eggs make a great target. You really know you got one...when you get one :)

12. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I don't care for "plinking," or seeing things explode when hit. I shoot only at targets that I make from recycled copy paper, junk mail, etc. I use the bottles of Bingo dot blotters in blue and orange. I will make 9 dots on an 11x8 1/2" sheet of paper. The dots are roughly 5/8 to 3/4" in diameter. I shoot 3 shot groups, so I get 27 shots per target. Since most of my rifles will shoot sub MOA groups, these targets work fine for me. Because I am always trying out new loads, I might get a load that shoots 1 1/2", hence only 9 dots spaced evenly instead of lots of dots. Of course that load will be scraped until a better load is found. DSCN0009.jpg

13. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

If you are talking about reactive targets my favorite is something called Tannerite.
    It is a ammonium nitrate-based binary explosive that explodes when the fired round strikes it.
    Video
    http://www.tannerite.com/

My second best target is a frozen gal jug of water, you can see it explode when hit & it will take quite a few shots if you start at the top.

14. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Find a local farmer with a messy yard. Ask if he has any old equipment with teeth or blades. That stuff is hardened steel. I have lots of steel targets that a 9 doesn't even dent for free

15. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I like to shoot at spent twelve gauge shells with my 22 they really jump if u hit the bottom of em

16. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Thats a great idea. I like shootin things before they go to the scrap yard. Cars are by far the best. Old fridges, microwaves, dryers, and tvs are fun too. I gota broken xbox thats on the next list to go

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I'll shoot clay birds with pistol or rifles. A lot of the time though the bullet will just punch through without shattering it with .22s,taking several shots to pulverize it. Same thing with crackers. I bet those Necco wafers would work nice though. I also shoot bottle caps. They work nice because you can pound then into the railroad ties that I have as my backstop (or actually in front of the earth bank that is my real backstop). As mentioned shotgun shells work nice too. (On a side note, we have taken shotgun shells and stuffed a C-size model rocket motor inside, glued some plastic tail fins to them and fired them off into the air. Those suckers really fly high!).

I have made some swinging targets using pieced I cut from old truck leaf springs. They will stand up to a lot of abuse. I want to make some spinning targets out of them too. My son made a shooting jack using leaf spring target pads, but he made the jack frame out of mild steel so it doesn't hold up to high powered rounds.

18. sharpshooter1997

What part I'm in northern panhandle of WV

19. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

head-size pumpkins with faces drawn on them