Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Paper, coffee cans (frozen water) and steel plate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need some ideas on swinging targets. Other than steel plates. I don't have any steel nor do I want to pay for it. I need easy stuff.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I'll shoot at about anything. Mints, Necko's put on a board. Saltines are pretty cool and it's the mosit fun way to feed birds I"ve ever seen. WE've even done asprins but those tihngs arwe pretty hard to hit. I got on a kick some years back with hitting golf balls at 50 yds with a 9mm. Man those things will really take off when you hit them good. The small 22 ammo boxes work pretty good. I bought a dozen bowling pins years ago that I still have some left to shoot at.

I got a couple of the Do-All self sealing targets that have been a real blast to shoot at. Just don't use HPs on them.:eek: I hang them on strings or just let them skip around on the ground making for a target that moves around so you have to reacquire every shot.

·
Administrator
34,517 Posts
One year in Kentucky we were shooting at gallon milk jugs filled with water. When they were emptied of water, those things went flying, too.

I mostly shoot paper but I like the challenge of anything. I had great fun shooting a watermelon, milk jugs, balloons. I want to try eggs and grapes.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
One year in Kentucky we were shooting at gallon milk jugs filled with water. When they were emptied of water, those things went flying, too.

I mostly shoot paper but I like the challenge of anything. I had great fun shooting a watermelon, milk jugs, balloons. I want to try eggs and grapes.
Eggs make a great target. You really know you got one...when you get one :)

G

·
I don't care for "plinking," or seeing things explode when hit. I shoot only at targets that I make from recycled copy paper, junk mail, etc. I use the bottles of Bingo dot blotters in blue and orange. I will make 9 dots on an 11x8 1/2" sheet of paper. The dots are roughly 5/8 to 3/4" in diameter. I shoot 3 shot groups, so I get 27 shots per target. Since most of my rifles will shoot sub MOA groups, these targets work fine for me. Because I am always trying out new loads, I might get a load that shoots 1 1/2", hence only 9 dots spaced evenly instead of lots of dots. Of course that load will be scraped until a better load is found. DSCN0009.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you are talking about reactive targets my favorite is something called Tannerite.
It is a ammonium nitrate-based binary explosive that explodes when the fired round strikes it.
Video
http://www.tannerite.com/

My second best target is a frozen gal jug of water, you can see it explode when hit & it will take quite a few shots if you start at the top.

·
Registered
292 Posts
sharpshooter1997 said:
I need some ideas on swinging targets. Other than steel plates. I don't have any steel nor do I want to pay for it. I need easy stuff.
Find a local farmer with a messy yard. Ask if he has any old equipment with teeth or blades. That stuff is hardened steel. I have lots of steel targets that a 9 doesn't even dent for free

·
Registered
757 Posts
Find a local farmer with a messy yard. Ask if he has any old equipment with teeth or blades. That stuff is hardened steel. I have lots of steel targets that a 9 doesn't even dent for free
Thats a great idea. I like shootin things before they go to the scrap yard. Cars are by far the best. Old fridges, microwaves, dryers, and tvs are fun too. I gota broken xbox thats on the next list to go

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
I'll shoot clay birds with pistol or rifles. A lot of the time though the bullet will just punch through without shattering it with .22s,taking several shots to pulverize it. Same thing with crackers. I bet those Necco wafers would work nice though. I also shoot bottle caps. They work nice because you can pound then into the railroad ties that I have as my backstop (or actually in front of the earth bank that is my real backstop). As mentioned shotgun shells work nice too. (On a side note, we have taken shotgun shells and stuffed a C-size model rocket motor inside, glued some plastic tail fins to them and fired them off into the air. Those suckers really fly high!).

I have made some swinging targets using pieced I cut from old truck leaf springs. They will stand up to a lot of abuse. I want to make some spinning targets out of them too. My son made a shooting jack using leaf spring target pads, but he made the jack frame out of mild steel so it doesn't hold up to high powered rounds.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts