What's your favorite rimfire? and Why?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Rex in OTZ, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I'd thought of this, I have a favorite go-to-first rimfire, it isant the most accurate and doesent have sentimental attachment either just my favorite.
    It wouldent be fair to ask just about .22's so chime in if you got a favorite.
    Whats your favorite rimfire and why??

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 New Member

Well...

My favorite rimfire is a Marlin Model 80C bolt action that I picked up at a flea market near Shamokin, Pa while killing some time before the range opened up by 3 Pines Golf Course. It was sitting in a rack of toy rifles, it looked brand new ( it was actually from the 1960's ) so I asked about it and bought it for $75. It fires .22 short, long, and long rifle from a seven round magazine...and with just iron sights, it's a tack driver. It's my favorite because I can shoot it all day long for pennies on the dollar...and because it so damn accurate.

Anyone else own a Marlin M80C ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

[​IMG]

I've got a Marlin Model 80 G, I think, I'd have to look when I get home to be sure.
    This belonged to my Great Grandfather, came from the factory with the scope and is a tack driver! It technically belongs to my dad but I've been taking care of it for him for a little while because I don't have one and I wanted to do some squirrel hunting.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I am really fond of my Remmy 597. Accurate and easy. I know that it is Wifey's favorite! As said, shoot for pennies. My Pop swears by his Mossberg plinkster (hasta be circa 1950).

I think with rimfires it is with what you are most comfy. If you know how it shoots, and you likey.... :D

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 New Member

Marlin 80's

Nice rifle spittinfire...looks like you been takin' real good care of it !!

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Remington 514. Mine holds huge sentimental value to me.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Mine would be my Remington 511 Score master in a 513T stock. It shoots 1" 5 shot 100 yard groups and even looks good while doing it.

[​IMG]

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hmm...I have 3 top contenders. A Lever, a Semi-Auto and a Bolt.

1.) Marlin 39. I have a carbine (39A Golden Mountie) from the late 40's, and a rifle (39AS) from the early 90's. Here is a pic of the rifle.
    2.) Thompson Center arms TC Classic. A semi auto with match grade accuracy, graceful lines, and beautiful walnut stock.
    3.) Anschutz 54 Sporter. Sleek, graceful and amazing accuracy.
    4.) Gratuitous pic of my late 60's vintage 10/22 with beavertail forend. I'm not a big 10/22 fan, but have a couple.
    5.) Added a 70's vintage Belgian Browning Take Down .22. This one has the original Browning hard case.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. Jason66

Jason66 New Member

Winchester Model 190 .22 semi auto rifle. This was my first "real gun" so holds special meaning plus its just a really fun gun to shoot:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That gun sat in my dad's closet for a number of years before I asked to borrow it to do some squirrel hunting this past year. I wiped it off before taking it out and after that I took it completely appart and really cleaned it up which is what you see in the pic.

That gun has a bit of history to it as well, it was purchased by my great grandfather who was quite the marksman from the stories I've been told but I never had the pleasure of knowing him. Anyway, my dad had always seen him shooting this thing and he always like it but was never allowed to use it because apparently his grandfather was a little particular about his guns and didn't want his young grandson to mess it up. My dad has told me this part many times, as his grandfather got older and his health began to fade he called my dad into his room one day, sort of out of the blue. He told my dad to go get the rifle and bring it to him, so he did and when he came back with it he was told to keep it, it was his. Shortly after that his grandfather past away and he's had the rifle ever since. That was around 50 years ago, I know that is one rifle that will never leave our family.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

[/ATTACH]

A couple I like- Mossberg 51M, and a Kolb Baby Hammerless- the smallest Double Action Only revolver made in the US. One inch bbl.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

april 09 008.jpg
    One more- Mossberg 152 CARBINE- 16.5 inch version of the 152. Forearm folds down for front pistol grip.

13. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Nice! I have a 352K that looks EXACTLY the same with the exception of the mag. My mag is 7 rds. capacity and shorter than the one in your pic. It jams with all ammo except cheap Remington yellow jackets. Bought it at Caldors in 1973 for $45. It was my first gun so it has a place in my heart.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  14. NY Marksman

NY Marksman New Member

My favorite would have to be the Ruger 1-/22 because of their reliability and because there are so many after market parts that are available that you can create anything you can envision. I wanted a classic Sporter and a Tactical style (or as some folks like to call them Tacticools). Thats the great thing about the 10/22, the only limitation is your imagination.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fragout

fragout New Member

For me, it would have to be the Ruger 10-22. I prefer them over others because they are magazine fed semiautomatic rifles, and mine have proven themselves to be reliable, and plenty accurate for small game hunting in the field. Parts are easy to find just about anywhere in the lower 48 at least, and as NY Marksman mentioned, the availability of aftermarket parts allows me to turn it into just about anything I want to turn it into.
    Lookin into taking a 10-22, and turning it into my version of an "M14 training rifle", using a modified USGI M14 synthetic stock.
    [​IMG]
    My favorite two rifles. 10-22, and M14.

16. fragout

fragout New Member

Edit: (double post)

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

[​IMG]

Remington 597

[​IMG]

Browning buckmark

Why? These are the only .22's I have!! :)

18. phrogmech

phrogmech Member

Remington 40X, First time I fired it fell in love with it, Accurate and comfortable.

19. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

I have a hard time choosing. I still have my first rifle, a Winchester Model 47 (Christmas 1949, when I was six); it's single shot but heavy on sentiment. I now have Models 61 and 63 to further help relive happy childhood times. Dad gave me a Win 290 upon return from Vietnam. I've added two heavy barrel Rem 597s (.22LR & .22WMR), a Savage Mako, two Henrys (Golden Boy and Target), a Ruger 22/45 with red dot, Ruger Single Six (both cylinders), Ruger Bearcat (I was with Dad when he bought it new in '66) and two Sig Moquitos. I love shooting them all.

20. teaberryeagle

teaberryeagle New Member

Which .22 cal rifle do you like and why........

For the original price, you will never beat the Winchester Model 310.....a single shot, bolt action, modeled after the Winchester Model 70....pistol grip, checkered, sling brackets and accepts a scope. Mine had beautiful bluing and just great looking all around. It sat, alone, on its rack in a Woolco Dept. Store (long since gone out of business) in Richmond, Virginia and I would go there and look at it for several weeks before I purcased it. Afterwards I added the sling and a Tasco scope and thought it was the most beautiful rifle around. But, to also answer the question, I bought it for squirrel hunting. Never did like the idea of hunting squirrels with a shotgun. It was so accurate that the single shot was all you ever needed for this hunting. I once amazed a nephew by shooting a hole in a tree, then take the spent shell, stick it in the bullet hole and with another single shot, drive the shell out of sight into the hole. I also took my daughter into the woods to squirrel hunt and she could knock them from the trees at the distances I was shooting. But, at that time I owned a Volkswagen Superbeetle into which I had installed a CB radio and had the rifle in the boot from a trip to West Virginia the weekend before. At that time CB radios were great theft items, and of course they had to break into my car and steal the radio. And the worst part was that in the glove compartment was the lever that released the boot. I guess it is self explanatory what happened to my rifle. Every since then, I always look for them at different places, but have never found one that looked as good as this one. I would like to find one that is in this condition. The gentleman that said he found one at a gun show and was able to purchase it for $100, I could hardly believe. He definitely got a great buy and will enjoy shooting it for the rest of the time. If you tire of it, just let me know and I'll take it off your hands.