What's your favorite knife brands?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by iheartguns, May 2, 2007.

1. iheartguns

iheartguns New Member

What is everyone's favorite brand of company made knife?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010
  2. bkt

bkt New Member

I like Darrel Ralph and Ken Onion designs. Camillus and Kershaw, respectively, carry their designs.

3. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I'm partial to the Smith & Wesson line of knifes.

4. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Since I have a tendancy to lose knives I go cheap now days. I have been happy with the last two Leathermans I have purchased. I used to like Gerber, but since they refused to sever their sponsorship of Jim Zumbo I will no longer purchase any of their products.

5. Splatter

Splatter New Member

I'm addicted to Leatherman tools now. I can hardly concieve of my daily life without my Surge or my Wave.
    For knives with more focused purposes, CRKT and Cold Steel.

6. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Brands of Knives I prefer?

Hello all

Ron L here = Seresurplus

As for Preferences:

Kabar - I like thier Combat / Utility knives sheath models

Swiss Victorinox - I like Many of thier Key Chain small knives as well as many of thier Folders, I prefer the Metal handled models, but have many of the Red or Black Plastic as well

Cold Steel- I like thier SRK and Combat Related sheath knives, great steel, reasonable $

Spyderco- I prefer the Folders in the Endura as well as the Police Series of Combat Folders, have caried one of these when a Sheath knife was not allowed or to Obvious!

7. zeskullmaster

zeskullmaster New Member

Does old count ?

I have a couple faverits one is that old M-7 made for the US Army I also have a Gerber fixed blade hunting knife it holds a edge real nice and is pretty tough not as tough as my old Bayonet but good enough:cool:

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I bought one of the Border Guard knives a while back. for what I paid for the thing it's fantastic. I have one of the Millennium SWAT knives that I carried for years. THat thing has ben great. A little heavy to carry all the time but I can't seem to kill the blade. They have some better ones but I have 1st hand knowledge of those and would buy them again.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have had a Gerber Mk I since the 70s, but for work around the house, my Leatherman- for social occasions, my Old Timer 2 blade with the bone scales.

10. steve666

steve666 New Member

Benchmade
    Kershaw
    Puma

11. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Cold Steel

Gerber

And of course Spyderco with our great supporting member discounts.

12. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Spyderco

Benchmade

Cold Steel

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Spyderco has been FANTASTIC to our forum and they make some sharp as hell knives. I love their stuff.

Mil-Tac Knives has also been very good to us and they make some REAL world tactical style blades that take some serious abuse and keep on coming.

SOG made some great models back in the day, but their new designs seem somewhat lacking in my opinion. They do come sharp as hell right out of the box though.

We don't discuss Cold Steel around these parts. :mad:

JD

14. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

i love my benchmades.

15. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I don't know how I forgot Mil-Tac. They are top flight also. But JD you have to admit the CS Spartan did perform well:D

16. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've got a very eclectic taste in knives, and I've dealt with many companies both as a blade junky and as a dealer. These are the brands that make up the bulk of my collection (all users, no safe queens).

-Victorinox and Wenger. The blade steel they use isn't great, but their fit and finish is top notch. I love both their Swiss army knives and multitools. Great value and what's probably the best warranty ever (no matter what the paperwork says, you send a broken knife and they return it fixed or give you a new one for free). No matter what else I carry, there's a SAK in one of my pockets.

-Spyderco. Great knives, good prices and excellent customer service. I like the way the Glessers run their company, I get a warm fuzzy feeling everytime I send money their way. And I'm not just saying this because of their FTF discount (search some of my threads from way before we got that deal).

-Kershaw. I like their designs a lot, and also love that they offer some very well priced American made folders (like the Skyline or Storm). I'm particularly fond of the models with composite blades, and while I'm not a die-hard assisted opening fan I find it entertaining.

-Fallkniven. Simple designs, quality materials, convex ground blades. The only thing I don't like are the rubber handles (but you can just get finished blade blanks and a couple of on-line stores offer custom handled versions). The F1 (with full cover leather sheath) is one of my favourite outdoors knives, while the WM1 makes a perfect fixed blade EDC. Their folders are great, too.

-Benchmade. Mmmmh AXIS lock... I wish I could still buy them wholesale from my distributor, amazing knives. I was introduced to this brand by an Aussie friend who sold me a customised Ares. I also like their balisongs very much.

-Fox. This brand isn't well known in the US, but they've made loads of stuff for well known American companies. They made the Hossom fixed blades for Spyderco, the Retribution folders (also a Hossom design) for Ontario, they make folders and pens for Mil-Tac, stuff for TOPS, etc. The knives they are making for the Fox Military Division line are excellent. I was sent a few samples to write an article for an Argentine magazine and liked them so much I ended up buying a couple.

-Great Eastern Cutlery. GEC is a relatively new company that's making excellent traditional folders. I haven't tried any of their stainless steel knives, but I'm really happy with their carbon steel ones. I'm definitely going to add a few more to my EDC rotation.

-Case. Their QC has had some ups and downs, but in the past few years I think they've improved a lot. I don't care for their "Surgical Stainless" blades but I'm crazy about their offerings in carbon steel (they call it CV for chrome vanadium). There's something special about the way a bone handled slipjoint with carbon steel blades ages, it's lovely. Hell, I've even taken a liking to some of Case's knives with yellow plastic handles. My yellow Sodbuster Jr. has seen more action than all my fancy tacticool folders put together, the CV blade is covered in a delightful patina. Probably the best $15 I've spent on a knife!

-Bark River Knife & Tool. Mike Stewart (BRK&T owner) knows a lot about knives, he was vicepresident of Marble's (and some people are willing to pay extra for Marble's knives made under him!). IMHO, these are some of the best production fixed blades in the market today. Sheaths used to be rather crappy, but that has been fixed. I love that they bring old traditional designs back to life. I don't have any experience with their newer tactical knives, I prefer their outdoors oriented ones. Mr. Stewart is to blame for my convex grind addiction.

Ok, by now it should be clear that asking me to pick just a couple of knife brands is impossible, I could go on and on and bore you to death. There are too many good ones out there and I'm sure that I'd find it easier to commit to a single woman for the rest of my life than to only a handful of knife brands. :D

17. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

I am there with benchmade and kershaw no spyderco there good to and a little bit cheaper then bmo

18. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

This guy knows whats up I also like scrapyard fixed blades only. Chirs reeves sebenza 21 if you don't like knives and you see the price on that you wouldn't not understand why I would pay that much for a knife. +1 on the benchmade balis. Cold steel if I am feeling mall ninjaish. Becker is good rat is another favorite ontario is another good one that i like. The list goes on an on and on.

19. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I didn't see this thread before. My favorites are Spyderco and Kershaw, but I like my new Benchmades too.

20. J T Patriot

J T Patriot New Member

I like Case knives. My favorite is an old Explorer (Japan) 440c made of stainless and has ebony scales.