What's your favorite home defense weapon and why

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ARlover, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ARlover

ARlover New Member

I can't make up my mind on my S&W m&p .40 , 12ga 870 or my AR in .223 what do u use??

2. McCakie

McCakie New Member

It's a tie between my glock g24 and my mossberg 930..... Probably end up taking the glock as my first choice due the layout of my house and the overpenetration of buckshot

3. ARlover

ARlover New Member

Ya that's how I feel but the at I love!

4. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

Beretta PX4 9mm is always my 1st weapon. AR is close by and haven't bought a good shotgun yet. I have 2 big dogs and I always have thought if someone kicked in the front door the shotgun may not be the best choice because I certainly don't want to hurt my dogs if shooting an intruder. IDK may be silly but I know my dogs would be all over the bad guy and I want to hit him not spray the dogs with shotgun rounds, even if it is heavy birdshot.

5. AR10

AR10 New Member

My wife, but I wish she would quit turning her weapon on me! (voice like a train wreck!)

6. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

My xd40 tactical I would grab my ar if I lived in a more rural setting but the subdivision I live in my 6.8 spc rounds would travel too far and possibly hurt my neighbors. My xd is always nearby though with 15 hydro shocks ready to go down range

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

My favorite is the one I have within my reach when I need it. All those listed will do the job nicely IF you can get to them in time!!!:)

8. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

Pump shot gun loaded with #4 shot. just in case I miss. And my trustey s&w 38

9. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

For me it's a Sig 226 in 357Sig and a Mossy 500

10. mahall

mahall New Member

Glock 19 something that I can fire 15 rounds within 20 seconds or so, with good accuracy with an extra mag near by, that's 30 rounds in 45 seconds or so!! If that doesn't do the trick than my choice of HD was a poor one and I'm probably dead!!

11. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Anti personal mines, and a 7mm rem mag to pick off the ballzy ones that keep coming. :D

Joking aside I'm a big fan of my 12 gauge but for a pistol a 357 mag is always close by.

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Anything I can get to before they can get to me. It doesn't have to be a firearm, either:

I'm none to proud to stop an intruder with a 6 iron, a broom handle or a kick in the balls

13. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Prayer and Faith have been my greatest and most consistent guardians in life. So far, its always come through. Any and every weopon or animal you can carry or keep are made much more effective with a little faith and a quick "Our Father"...

I seek his solstice more for guidance than relief and he's never let me down, if I fail, Its usually because I didnt strongly consider WWJD before I acted. I Really Like my Guns, cherish my rural kingdom, appreciate my little barker alert system but I love my God! All of the other things arent always with me!

14. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Night vision and ninja throwing stars and a flame thrower

15. hmh

hmh New Member

Then don't load it with buckshot. If you are worried that buckshot over penetrates than you pistol would most likely be worse.

16. string1946

string1946 New Member

I'm kinda fond of my Marlin Camp Carbine 45 ACP. Its short, light, powerful and uses the same magazines as my 1911.

17. bigjim

bigjim New Member

The one that's with me most of the time, 45 ACP compact.

Jim

18. FAS1

FAS1 Member

My Gen2 G17 with night sights has filled that roll for the last 20 years. It is completely reliable and I trust it without question. Since it is a dedicated HD gun for me, it is easier to secure right next to me when sleeping as it is always there. I do keep a Beretta 1201FP shotgun loaded with 00 Buck in the big safe, but it is not quite a close when sleeping.

[​IMG]

19. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I prefer a handgun. Personally I use a Magnum Research Baby Eagle in .45 ACP. 230gr Hydra-Shoks.

I have a relatively small house and if push were to come to shove it would be fairly easy to get the whole family into a bedroom down a long hallway. Fairly defensible and easy to get out the bedroom window if we had to. Somewhat tight quarters though so not thrilled with the idea of trying to use a shotgun or rifle. I also like the idea of having one hand free, partly due to the tight quarters.

If I had a more "open" layout like some houses I've seen, I might go with a shotgun.

20. davva360

davva360 New Member

Ruger SR9c is the gun I keep on me or on my nightstand because I shoot it better than any other handgun. Also keep a Winchester SXP defender loaded with 000 Buck inside the closet door.