What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by rp50817, Sep 19, 2010.

1. rp50817

rp50817 New Member

People tell me I should use a .22 rifle for squirrel hunting. I did that as a youth. The only way you're going to bag a squirrel with that firearm is if it is sitting still. Many times squirrels are fast moving and you only see a glimpse of them. This is especially true before the leaves drop. If you want to get your limit, or at least several for the table, what's wrong with a shotgun with No. 6 or No. 7 shot?

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

i don't know about you but back in my youth i had no trouble bagging all the squirrels i could find just using my pellet gun. would there be anything left if you blasted one with a shotgun? :confused:

3. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I don't really think there is any challenge in that. Thats more of a massacre then hunting, but if you're hunting for food instead of sport (and food, I always eat what I kill. People who don't are usually douchebags in my experience, not trying to offend anybody) go for it.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have used a shotgun- go for headshots to avoid biting shot in the meat. Usually use a .22 and a pair of poker chips. Funny how they sound like a squirrel chittering when you hold them together and rub back and forth- Mr Bushytail stops, pokes his head up to see who is new squirrel. Say goodnight, Gracie.

5. RairWeatherSmok

RairWeatherSmok New Member

Been doing it that way for years. Tasty critters when braised in a spicy brown gravy over rice.

6. steve666

steve666 New Member

Used to use a .22 pistol, but now that I'm getting old and decrepit I use a .22rifle. Don't like a shotgun because you have to pick out the shot.

7. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I use one early in the year while the leaves are still all over the trees but once they start falling then I use the 22.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I dont think there is anything wrong with using a shotgun for squirrels.

To reply to: dog2000tj

Of course there will be something left if you shoot it with a shotgun. A squirrel is pretty comparable size to a dove. Shooting doves with a shotgun is common practice.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I would us a 22 just to keep the meat from being full of shot. Also, the shooting challenge is fun for me.

10. rp50817

rp50817 New Member

Surprising response on squirrel hunting with shotgun

The Forum's members contribute great opinions. My question about the appropriateness of squirrel hunting with a shotgun quickly solicited many comments. From the information I've received, I think I will use both a .22 rifle and a shotgun depending upon hunting conditions and methods. When trees have many leaves early in the season, and I'm using the spot and stalk technique - or still hunting - walking slowly, then standing still for several minutes, I will use the shotgun. The squirrels are more likely to be scampering toward their holes and you only catch glimpses of them as they move. Hitting a fast moving squirrel in the leaves is too difficult for me with a .22. When I sit and wait for them to come out, however, using a squirrel call (either factory made, two poker chips or two quarters), I'll use a .22. I think they are more likely to come out and sit long enough for me to get a bead on one with a .22. Now, my next question for squirrel hunters is this: Would you use a scope, and if so, when, where and why? How many of you would prefer open sites?

11. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I shot Squirrels with a 20 ga and not Blasted it to smigerines. Yes there're pellets. I only seen may be 3 or 4 total. Once you skin it you will clearly see were the pellets went and be able to remove the shot. Contrary to to popular belief shotguns don't make game explode into a vapor.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  12. rp50817

rp50817 New Member

Thank you, sir, for the very fair opinion. No, unless you are up close and personal, shotguns do not obliterate small game. I don't think it's too difficult to remove a few pellets. Like another Forum member commented, we use shotguns on doves (and quail.)

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

There's nothing wrong with using a shotgun on small game like squirrels. The main reason I use a .22 rifle is I'd rather hunt than just shoot them. Hunting with a shotgun ensures you'll have plenty of squirrel for breakfast or supper. When I'm expected to bring in a limit for somebody such as the landowner I'll sometimes use a 12 gauge with high brass #4. The larger shot contributes to a clean quick kill and adds more range while making less holes.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, honing the hunting and rifle skills on small game helps when the big game seasons open.

15. Tuner

Tuner New Member

Not a darn thing! If I were going for a meal or early in the season I wouldn't hesitate to use a scatter gun. Later in the season when the trees are open I think using a .22 on squirrls is more of a challenge and as much fun as deer hunting; you just don't get as much to eat!

16. amoroque

amoroque New Member

When I hunt small game like squirrels and bunnies with a .22 I prefer to use open sights because it helps me to track them as they move. just my 2 pennies.

17. RairWeatherSmok

RairWeatherSmok New Member

Easier to carry a game bag full of squirells than a 150 # of deer.

18. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Kill The Buggers

Our native red squirrel is under threat of extinsion from the Canadian grey. In UK we shoot the buggers on site. With any means available.

19. rp50817

rp50817 New Member

Excellent idea.

20. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

The one thing I like to take into account is that a .22 will travel nearly a mile, that being said, if you have a good backstop go for it, kinda the "I shot an arrow int the sky" scenario. I've bagged many squirrels with my 20 and haven't broken a tooth on a pellet yet.