What's wrong with .40 cal

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TankTop, Jul 29, 2013.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Seems this round is getting bashed a lot. First off I'm still pretty new to firearms, but I feel the .40 is very comfortable to shoot. I did buy a Sig P226 in .40 and hated it so I traded for a Glock 23 and it's awesome. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or just don't have enough experience, but when I'm practicing I'm so focused on my front sight and sight picture I don't even notice the slide lock back sometimes. My thoughts are if it has too much recoil I would have to take a second and find my sight picture again, which I don't.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

There's nothing wrong with it at all. Some people are always looking for something to criticize, and since it is the youngest of the major calibers, it's going to get knocked. Kind of like teasing the new kid in the neighborhood until somebody else newer arrives.

At some point, another round will come along and begin making headway into the market. Perhaps the .44 auto or who knows what. At that point, all the criticism of the .40 crowd will be directed towards it. And the .40? It will be just another wise choice for self defense.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I don't know that it gets "bashed" a lot, but there are many people that don't care for it. Myself included. I personally can't find any justification to own or shoot a .40. There is nothing that a .40 can do that a 10mm can't do better so I choose 10s over the 40. The recoil is sharp and snappy and unpleasant to me.

But everyone had their preference and opinion. If you like the 40, then who cares if other people don't.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Wrong? No, there's nothing actually wrong with the .40. I have 2 of them. Much of the debate centers around the question of whether it's actually needed or not, especially in light of how well 9 mm works with modern bullets. Then there is the watered down/neutered 10 mm argument. One can easily argue "why bother" if this was to be the end result.
    As for actually shooting it, it has a reputation for being harsh. IMHO, this is a legitimate complaint, at least in some cases. In my XD40SC, it does have a bit of a "broken bat" feel to it. The recoil, while not horrible by any means, is tiresome after a while. However in my full sized 1911, it's a sweet shooting round. Platform matters. As a general statement, it's not really the quantity of the recoil as much as the harshness, if that makes any sense.
    I will admit to being somewhat surprised by your hating the Sig and loving the Glock. I would have expected the full sized metal framed pistol to feel better than the compact polymer pistol.

5. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

That's precisely why I traded the Sig for the Glock (plus some cash), the Sig was snappy, so much I would loose my grip with my supporting hand. I think the spring was way too soft and the grip was wrong for me. The grip on the Glock is perfect for my hand, that and I'm 6'1" and 230lb, it just feels right. What I'm getting at is yes, in the wrong gun .40 is snappy, but in a gun that fits just right it's a pleasure.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Im one of those that see no point to it. Its not any huge advance over 9mm and falls short of the 45acp. Your getting more recoil for little to no gain over what a 9mm can do.

If you like it great. More power to ya.

7. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

You need to focus on the rear sights, and you shouldn't have as much of a problem
    .40 S&W actually stands for...
    10mm, short and wimpy...

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

1) Some platforms make the 40 feel nasty. I don't like it in my Glock 23, but it is really soft-shooting IMO out of my Glock 35. I think a lot of people shoot one magazine of someone else's 40 and decide they hate it. But it just takes a little more firm grip and good gun to shoot it.

2) For competition, 40 is very popular because of its amazing versatility for the reloader. It is also the least expensive and highest capacity round that makes major power factor.

9. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Many PD's are now switching over from the 9mm round to the .40S&W for a variety of reasons. One of which is that statistics show that the .40 is a better choice than the 9mm where stopping power is concerned. Also, the .40 allows for more ammo to be loaded, as compared to the .45acp.

As far as comfort when shooting the .40 is concerned I just can't see any problem. I know women who have no problem handling that caliber regardless of what gun it's fired from. Shooting my G27 is a pleasure for me and I carry it with confidence. I didn't buy it for bulls eye shooting, just want to be able to hit a man size target and stop him dead in his tracks if I should unfortunately be in that type of situation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  10. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you the statistics that show the .40 is a better choice where stopping power is concerned. ? I personally don't see the need for the calibre of you don't like 9mm buy a .45.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think there's a lot right about the 40S&W, large capacity along with large caliber plus plenty of good handguns and loads available. I like the 45ACP and have three 1911s, including a Colt Series '70, but now carry the shorty forty. As far as cost for cheap practice ammo, 45 tends to cost more and 9mm costs less. For defensive ammo it depends on what you get.

I have the Glock 22, 23 and 27. They're all good but the G23 is just right. Also you can buy the Lone Wolf G23 40-9mm conversion barrel and practice with cheaper 9mm. And that barrel fits in both my G23 and G27!

Yep, there's a lot right about the 40S&W!

12. AR10

AR10 New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

How do you beat it? I think a 9mm is enough, most always. However, I remember a motto of the belt maker that holds up my pants, The Wilderness:

"Overkill Never Fails"

While you can rarely say never and get away with it (so far so good holding up my britches) a little more lead, and a little more powder, and still having more capacity than a .45acp is not a bad thing.

Yes, I do love 10mm, but after 20 years of lugging that cannon around, I am enjoying the slightly smaller size of the Glock 23C.

13. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Sold both of my pistols in 40 and picked up another in 45, much better to shoot. The 40 is neither good or bad, and that is it's problem. Way more recoil than the 9 mm and extremely less effective than the 45 ACP. I would call it a girllyman caliber.

However I did find a good use for it in this:

[​IMG]

Not half bad as a rifle round, just very short range 75 yards.

Jim

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

Some of your findings, may be at odds to what law enforcement and the military have determined.

One of the newest rounds, .357 Sig I would wager is used by more men in uniform in many states as LOE's than .45acp. The model stamp of 1911 is indicative of the era of when it was placed into service. Lots changes in a century +.

How many LEO's use .40 S&W? lots of them.

Any round has merits. No such thing as a modern round being bad, or talked trash about. .22LR, .25, .380 and up, all have stopping power. All contain deadly force.

Stumbling up to the bar and ordering a bottle of whiskey, and proclaiming all Vodka drinkers are somehow lessor men, is drunk talk.

I own hand guns in .22 Short, .22 LR, .22 Mag, .25acp, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, 10mm, .38, .357 mag, .44 special, .44 mag. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. The calibers I do not own, I have owned. Love em all!

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

No surprise there. The reason the FBI adopted the 40 S&W is because the new generation of agents, (read women agents), couldn't handle the size or recoil of the 10mm.

16. j4454

j4454 New Member

What's wrong with it? Nothing. It's just preference; if you prefer it use it. Some people will say its just a compromise between power and capacity. If you compare it side by side to 9mm and 45acp I find it snappy but at the end if the day it's a fine round. Since you like glock get a 17, 21, 22 all stock and see what ya think!

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i happen to like the 40 and have for many years. i liked it from the first time i shot one and then ended up buying one not too long after they came on the market. i have owned many 40 S&W pistols ever since and will probably always own one. my wife has no problems in shooting the 40 and does quite well with it. i find when i want versatility and compromise between size and capacity, the 40 is an excellent choice.

but what can i say, other than haters are going to hate. :mad:

18. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Here's my take.

If you consider the .40 to be a '10mm short and weak', you must consider the 9mm to be the '.357 short and weak'

For the sake of argument, if a 9mm is just as powerful as a 40 and a 9mm makes 36 caliber holes and the .40 makes .40 caliber holes, is that not justification for its use?

9mm, .40, 45, 357 Sig... With the right loads they all do the job exceedingly well, they all have their pros and cons... Can't we all just get along?;)

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I didn't see any green font? Joke?

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Everyone has their preference for caliber. Mine is whatever I happen to have on hand when I need it, or while shooting it at the range. I try to enjoy shooting every gun I can. Some weapons I have to adapt my grip, or my posture, or take a little more time aiming, but the way I see it there's always something beneficial to be gotten out of the experience. Unless I shoot myself, of course. That hasn't happened yet.

To criticize another person for their choice in caliber is silly and immature. To have your own preference is reasonable and expected.