What's with the fingerless gloves?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Scratchammo, May 24, 2013.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I've seen several characters post apocalyptic movies & shows wearing fingerless gloves. They look cool but what's the benefit in survival situations.

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well, if you're selling newspapers in post apocalyptic NYC you will be able to make change easier...:D

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yes...seems the trend is opposite of what it should be.

Attached Files:

4. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Makes sense to me :rolleyes:

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Nice shoes.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Good question. They are better than nothing and you are able to still work like pull a trigger. They are the exclusive glove of guys who think they are tough and/or those who don't know what cold really is...

7. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The benefit is they offer extra dexterity.

I dont bother with them as tactical gloves offer dexterity good enough for manipulating your weapon or picking things up and climbing.

And in a SHTF situation you cannot rely on surviving an infection.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For shooters that know COLD weather- Trigger finger mittens

trigger finger mitten.jpg

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

In actual combat situations, they offer protection to the palms and backs of the hands, while leaving your fingertips free. I learned this lesson myself and have the scars on my palms to go with it.

If you see someone wearing them, and they're not actually engaging enemy combatants, or preparing to, it's the calling card of the "kool kids klub".

The scars have faded quite a bit in the past 8 years, not you may still be able to make a few out...

On the heel, below my thumb, along the 5th metacarpal, and several very faint ones running lengthwise between the creases. All superficial, but all annoying as hell. Y'all know how much of an annoyance it is to have to switch wiping hands? Damn.

ForumRunner_20130526_200739.jpg

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

And these can be found pretty commonly nowadays... Look at ski gloves on sale sorta like C3's -- great for cold motorcycle riding too.

Say what you will, but decent and inexpensive imports, especially if you buy at the END of a season (buy for next Winter in Spring) as part of your preparations, make keeping extras (as in a Get Home or Bug Out Bag) cheap and easy.

In Winter you'll want to include those gloves, an insulating hat (I like a woven ski mask that can cover my nose), wool socks, a thin folding long-sleeve golf shirt, bigger boxer shorts, a poncho liner...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I had a great pair of those. Lost them somewhere. They were worn out though.

12. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Makes good sense. Not sure if I'm capable of switching wiping hands.

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Being an all season/weather rider, I could definitely use those! Do they come in black?

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't wanna think about the ramifications if it'd been my other hand...

15. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I know what you mean.

16. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i bought some gauntlet-style waterproof ice fishing gloves for about $20 at a local sporting goods store, that's what I use for cold weather riding (i.e. 50 degrees or colder & sustained highway speeds for at least an hour)

when hunting in cold weather, I usually wear slightly over sized mittens & quickly shake the one off of my shooting hand when a shot comes up. for me it works far better than any other options on the market

17. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

They're worn by the same prepper's that have solutions for keeping their iphones charged.

18. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Looks like I'll be ordering them soon. Maybe I'll find them cheap considering its almost summer.

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Whatever happened to that Wapual character?

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

He apparently WAS the last of the Mohicans.

The Walrus called me and left a message. I played it backwards and it said "Wapual is dead, miss him, miss him. Goo goo g'joob."

'course I might be wrong. It did sound a little like the eggman, sitting, pretty little policemen in a row.

Last edited: May 27, 2013