What's up with all the new scope brands?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Txhillbilly, Feb 1, 2020.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It has been a very long time since I have seen a $50 hunting rifle. That $100 scope then would be at least $1000 now. Interesting is what it took to get 1" at 100 yards then and what is available now. Now you can buy $300 rifles that are guaranteed to to shoot MOA.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

JTJ,

One of the good things was that back in the day most folks realized that a deer rifle that shot 2 inch, three shot groups was more than accurate enough. Of course, most hunters back then had enough skill at stalking that shooting past 300-350 yards wasn't necessary.

Getting back to scopes. I did have a .30-06 built on a Springfield 03A3 action with a medium weight Shilen barrel that would shoot 1 one inch groups all day long with the Hornady 168 grain NM bullets. Simply replacing the old Weaver K-4 with a Milsurp Hensoldt shrank the groups to 3/4 inch.
    This was before we knew that you weren't supposed to hunt with NM bullets!:oops:

towboater and SRK97 like this.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

What does NM mean?

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

NM means "National Match."

Bullets specifically engineered to best possible accuracy without regard to terminal performance.

SRK97 likes this.
  5. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

Funny thing is with the increased populairty Long Range shooting a lot of folks are starting to hunt with match ammo again. Turns out deer are not that hard to kill after all. I still prefer a good bonded bullet because I shoot shoulders and they tend to be cheaper but know more than a few guys that swear by FGGM as a hunting round.

6. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I work night shift, don’t have Facebook, cable tv, or get out a whole lot so I’d say I do live under a rock lol

towboater and locutus like this.
  7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

You sound like me except the working night shift thing.