Whats this lil booger ?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by MobileMarine, May 10, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

bottom of the pic , pen flare ? pen gun :D? a fancy paper weight ? its old and i thinks its brass

[​IMG]

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hard to say from the picture- is the opening threaded on the inside? Those were typically tear gas guns/ flare launchers. Any markings?

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

4. orangello

orangello New Member

If it was a dull aluminum finish & if that clip-looking thing slides an internal spring back, it would look just like a mace dispensing device that a childhood friend and i accidentally tested for his mom. It was quite effective.

5. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

no markings , not threaded on the open end , has powder residue , was told it shot a .38 ....... you go ahead and show me that 38 in that thing going off .

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I don't recall any of the pen guns that were on the history channel a couple of weeks ago, being such a large caliber. But, the way the cocking leaver has the little notch to rest it in when it's cocked looks identical them.:confused:

7. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

You say it isnt threaded in the open end, will it unscrew into two pieces. It looks like the military (Coast Guard) flare launcher and the Penguin tear gas pen but both of them have internal threads in the open end.

8. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I don't know what it is but it makes me want a pen gun that shoots a .410 shell...

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Trust me on this- NO, you don't!

You CAN get one- but first deal with the ATF. That would be a class III AOW.

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Largest I've seen in a pen gun is .380, don't know of anything bigger....

11. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

it had a almost plastic type base that looked almost like a suction cup . Im sure if my life depended on it i would fire it but not for ITS AND GIGGLES . i bumped the bolt closed on a sk once and my hand took the full recoil , i imagine thats close to firing a pen gun

12. DarwinsMistake

DarwinsMistake New Member

Bazooka for midgets , if only it had a quad rail for mounting accessories :p It looks to be some sort of a zip gun..?It could also be one of the early .38 snake shot guns that were in some of the survival kits ..But its looks a bit different to the ones I have seen..Its kinda cool either way..

13. cornbelt

cornbelt New Member

Pengun

Believe it or not, Ithaca made a 12 ga. pengun for police use. It was about the size of a flashlight. Had to be a handful.
    I shot a Mac Stinger converted to .22 mag once. I thought that was excessive.

14. teaberryeagle

teaberryeagle New Member

I cropped it from his photo and edited it a little in one and only brightened it in the second photo.......don't know if this will help identify it or not......:D

Attached Files:

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Looks like the business end of a bang stick for sharks. If the device seperates in the middle by screwing one end to the other and a 12 or 20ga shell fits in its a bang stick. Dont use it it looks in terrible condition. Dont put a live shell in to test it use a fired one.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  16. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

I also have one that belonged to my grandfather. I know for certain, even though I don't have any, it fires a 38 Special Tear gas round. Wish I knew where to find some. I do remember in the mid 40s I used a nail to pull the wad out of the mouth of the 38 Special case. That was a mistake!!! my one eye teared for over an hour. The saw dust like pay load was fired by the primer, as I don't recall a powder train inside the case, Looks like a coat of red paint on the outside, with no name but numbered. The barrel screws off about midway and a 38 special empty case drops in. When assembled, a stud is drawn to the rear and pulled to the side to hold the striker to the rear. I suspect that it might be as old as the 30s or early 40s. My little experiment took place at 5 or 6 years old, and not a clue why I decided to pry that wad out of the shell case!

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Believe it or not they do make them pretty good size, this one is Four Hundred & ten.

Attached Files:

18. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I think i would use some gloves with that one or better yet let my buddy shoot it first

19. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

I am sure that none of these pen tear gas devices were meant to be fired with anything but the loads designed for them, without serious results and harm that would occur should you decide to get experimental. Almost a sure thing a big time injury as contruction is very soft steel, and would not handle any cartridge pressures