What's the range of a 7.62 x 39?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by kirby62, Mar 16, 2008.

1. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

I just got a scope mount for my Saiga 7.62 x 39 rifle. I don't know how powerful of a scope to put on it. Can someone help?

2. 1hole

1hole New Member

From what I know of the rifle and cartridge, anything over a fixed 4x is wasted. No scope can help you hit, it only helps you see and a 4x makes a 200 Yd. target look like it's only 50 yards away, surely anyone can hit the target with that sight picture.

3. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

So you're saying that a 7.62 is accurate til about 200 yards?

4. 1hole

1hole New Member

Well, accuracy is a relitive thing and accuracy it ain't the cartridge, it's the launch vehicle. You should be "minute of deer" at 200 yards but only range testing it can tell. But the launch velocity limits the effective trajectory to around 200 yards with any significant terminal energy.

That cartridge and rifle isn't designed for long range deer hunting, it was intended for close in "spray and pray" people shooting and for that it works well.

5. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

Thanks for the info! Well that sucks. I guess i'll do what you said and see what I can get out of it. If I find that my saiga is a spray and pray, what would you recommend to replace it with? (if you can, look at my gallery. I may have what your suggesting. Plus i'm waiting for a .308 AR-10.)

6. gnoll

gnoll New Member

now i have an SKS with a 4-12 by 42 scope made by famous maker (thats there name a cheep gun a cheep scope) and i am getting 2" groups at 500 yards give or take a yard or to my range finder is old
    im not saying that 500 yards is long range just that is wat im getting

7. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

Thanks gnoll. That makes me want to keep the saiga. I hear it's the best russian made shooter out there.

8. gnoll

gnoll New Member

well never had the opportunity to get my hands around one my self but have herd good things

9. 1hole

1hole New Member

I would say again, for accuracy "...only range testing it can tell." But, with that cartridge, a 4x will be plenty of magnification.

10. gnoll

gnoll New Member

never go with wat you need get more that so you have some thing to play with
    (get your minds out of the gutter now)
    never underestimate the power of a weapon in competent hands

11. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

Hey I agree with you gnoll. I put a high dollar 3x scope on my .223 AR and and cheap 10x scope on my SU 16. I bet you can guess what hits more bullseyes at 100+ yards.
    I'm not goin make the same mistake with my Saiga.

12. 1hole

1hole New Member

"i am getting 2" groups at 500 yards give or take a yard"

Gnoll, I ain't saying that's not so, haven't seen your targets nor your 500 yards but that's a LOOONG shot for an assult rifle cartridge. Don't know if you're shooting factory, surplus mil or hand loads but for most full charges in that cartridge it will drop about 5 5 1/2 feet at 500 if the sights are zeroed at 200! Wow.
    And a 2" group at that range requires (1) about a 3/8" group at 100 yards and (2) absolutely no cross wind and (3) a target grade trigger and (4) high grade optics to even see how to shoot such groups.

Very few high quality bolt action .30 cal. target rifles shooting high velocity cartridges that have been precision loaded with target grade bullets can equal the accuracy of your Russian 7.62x39 Saiga. You need to treat that thing with kid glooves to preserve such an exceptional rifle from any damage that will bring it back to earth. And stock up on 10,000 rounds of that awesome ammo too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  13. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

I normally won't waste my time bringing up, but since you seem to want to prove groll wrong bout everything he's replied. Gnoll shooting with a SKS not a Saiga. When you replied that a 4x scope made 200 yards look like 50 yards I thought no way in heck but I was thankful for your time in answering my question. So I didn't write some nasty reply. Remember.. everybody's an expert.

14. 1hole

1hole New Member

Oops, I seem to have touched a nerve without intending to, in fact tried very hard not too. What did I say that was factually wrong or misleading? OK, I missed that he is shooting an SKS but that makes his 2"/500 yard accurarcy claim even harder to accept. But be sure to post your own 500 yard 7.62x39 accuracy and prove my skeptisicm wrong, I would love to hear about it.

You don't think that a 4x scope effectively divides the 200 yd. visual range by 4?

I thought to answer your quesion for a knowledgeable point of view, didn't occur to me that you would resent valid info as from an "expert". Oh well, it don't matter do it, you do it Gnolls way and be happy! Have a grand day. :)

15. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

First I can admit when I stepped out of line. SORRY! Gnoll's 500 yard story does seem like well, a story. The simple math you spelled is certainly correct
    I should have said a 4x scope is not enough for me to see the bullseye for a good grouping for me. But for someone that's a better shot, such as yourself maybe that's enough. I guess also what I should have said was life's too short to go around correcting everyone. I know all advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I just don't want to see your replies make people stop writing replies.If you look at number of views in ratio to number of replies it kinda makes you think that people are worried about what someone says back. I've seen alot of my on line mountain bike buddies stop talking in our forum for just that. I don't want to do it gnoll's way. I would rather have more input from many different people then tried them all. But I have to wonder that I didn't get any replies, because us 3 were trying prove each other wrong Lastly like I said before, I really appreciate your time answering my question. And oh when I said everybody's an expert. That meant everybody me, you gnoll everybody I really hope you keep answering any of my future questions because heck, even if I don't agree initially... I'm still going to try them out

16. 1hole

1hole New Member

Accepted, no offense taken by me anyway. I really didn't want to say 2"/500 is pure BS so I chose to give factual points to refute that as so unlikely as to be impossible.

I was laughing so hard when I read one post that I missed he was shooting an SKS, I'd have collapsed on the floor if it had seen that the first time!

Perhaps I am less than totally patient with bad information being passed to those who truly seek to know and understand but are blown off course by windy folks with stories to tell. Thought maybe I could give both you and him facts to consider and both of you would see the truth without me pushing it off on either of you.

Learn to sift through the BS or the net won't offer much help. Be cool..:D

17. gnoll

gnoll New Member

well ok u got my i reload alot and there hot (not that i wont share but i think i might bore you with the specks of the rounds i load)
    now i dont shoot in a standing position when i do this
    now as for optics the knobs on the scope are for wind i know how to use them
    so do You live in AZ come shoot with me i dont remember if it sed with your Av
    if not where do u live maby ill hunt were u live ill shoot with u
    and if a man cant handle the truth what can he handel
    dude i dont make stuff up
    dont care if u trust me i dont trust you

18. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

Hey gnoll, I'm into reloading and would love to know how you press out a 7.62 x 39 that would hit a target at 500 yards. Man i'll split the money that I hustle off the guys at the range ( won't be the first time!) lol. Thanks again for your input. Hey what about inviting me to Arizona. Are there alot of wide open spaces to shoot there? There ain't any in Baltimore.

Thanks for the advice 1hole. Like said before, I hope to hear from you again.

19. gnoll

gnoll New Member

well here we go
    disclaimer as with any reloading it is dangerous and should be done by a well qualified individual i hold know responsibility for the condition of your fire arm or the ability or quality of your equipment so i hold NO liability for your safety or health
    now that sed u cant sew me!!!!!
    ok with this reload i do have some feed probs but in a bolt it should work better
    i use Sierra #2100 110 gr.RN bullets
    for powder i use AA-1680 26.5 gr.
    CCI# 34 primer
    head setting at1.95"
    ok now the 308 bullet i used is not what the AK or SKS shoot it works well
    remember this is close to the limits for the powder live hard or go home but build to these limits for your safety be shure your gun can handle the pressure
    want to tell if the high pressure is occurring in your weapon regester for my class
    now i have good simple target round
    fun shooter and the feed problem gone round
    use ing the proper dies .311
    125gr. #2305 Sierra SPT bullet
    powder IMR 4198 at 23.4 gr.
    CCI# 34 primer
    head set2.185"
    like to bump fire this

now some history
    the 6mm PPC considered possibly the most accurate cartridge ever developed
    descended from the 7.62 by 39mm
    but thats apples and oranges
    good shooting and oranges but still good to know when we are talking bullets

20. kirby62

kirby62 New Member

Dude, I was trying to be cool. I'm serious we're like a back room in Chinatown at the range. Forget anyway I don't want to hurt myself I'm new at reloading
    So since you thought I was being disrespectful, does mean the trip to your killer shooting spot in AZ is out of the question? We don't have any place cheap to go in Baltimore that's over 200 yards. I got a tricked out AR 10 and thought I was trying to make a friend so I'd have a place to test it's limits. My bad.