Whats the objective of your load ?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Tenderribbs, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Do you load for speed , accuracy , or just general plinking ? Just curious I have read where people load for speed. Me I want accuracy no matter the speed . In my head if you can't hit it t ain't no good anyways .peace .

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

My heads on wrong today.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

How much accuracy do you need??????

Do you seek accuracy simply for the challenge of acquiring it??

Or do you have a need it for practical.

I've heard folks say that they wouldn't hunt elk of moose with any rifle/load that won't shoot into 1/2 MOA.

And I ask...WHY????

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I just try to reload to the old military specs for my old military guns.... Ive found thats what usually works the best in them....

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I reload for accuracy.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

what is accuracy? To a big game hunter 2 to 3 inches with 3 shots is workable. To a bench rest shooter it is the elusive one hole 5 shot group. To a serious stalker of big game it is a non issue he uses his skills to close on his prey like a Mountain cat.:eek:

7. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

I mostly plink nowadays so I mostly just use the published starting loads.

8. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

All my rifle handloads are for hunting, so fast and accurate make the list. I have several rifles, some are designated brush guns with more of a power focus with heavy bullets, others only come out the case if I know I am shooting a LOOOONG ways, for them accuracy is king and speed is queen. My "do it all" gun is my Tikka T3 6.5x5, at max load (and even hot load) of RL22 she will cut cloverleafs with the very slick 140gr SSTs, full on power, pinpoint accuracy and modern poly tip range, the best of all worlds, why compromise when you can have it all? :D
    I actually have several really good loads for that rifle, the 120gr BT over a max dose of RL19 has killed more deer then the others, 3000+fps speeds, hits like a bullet train train no tracking has ever been needed they rarely even twitch, and makes pretty little holes on paper.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

It depends on the weapon. Obviously with some of the older military rifles 3"-4" off the bench is good at 100 yards.
    While with a hunting rifle 1-2 MOA at 100 off the bench is good. If you hunt Texas which I do. I want the rifle shooting 1 MOA or less at 100 yards due to the longer range shots in open country. If your making a 300 yard shot with a rifle shooting a 2 MOA Group at 100 you could be hitting 6 " off your aim point at 300 yards. With the 1 MOA Rifle 3"s. 6 is unacceptable at the longer ranges.
    As far as my AR and Varmint Rifles I want 1 MOA or less at 100. I load all rounds for accuracy since I take enough human error to the field with me each time I go if you know what I mean!;) In addition when I load I load somewhere in the mid-range of the powder charge where I usually find the best consistent accuracy. Faster is not always better!

10. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

For my rifle cartridges I load for accuracy, which is usually in the mid range of the load data charts. The loads I use also happen to have velocities that are conducive for effective hunting but I only shoot paper now. For my handgun cartridges I load for the same velocities I would want for a self-defense round. When I shoot I want to get used to the feel of the round I would use for self defense. I know shooters who like to use powder puff "target" loads but not me. Maybe they are trying to save a few pennies or can't handle the recoil of a regular load. I wouldn't shoot a cartridge if I didn't think I could handle the recoil that came with it. Why use a cartridge if you have to load it way down to feel comfortable with it? Go to a smaller round.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

1. functional reliability
    2. accuracy
    3. economy
    4. terminal effectiveness

That is for most of what I load

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

rifles i reload for as an accurate a round as possible. lot of that is the sheer enjoyment of working up a load and testing it. i find it to be very relaxing and enjoyable.

for my pistols i work up loads that are decently accurate and shoot them for practice. this allows me to be able to practice more and to become a better pistol shooter. not looking for the Nth degree out my pistol loads.

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

My ammo is all designed to stop, drop, equalize heart rate, with blood pressure, as well as bring body temperature in line with room temperature.

In my 44 mag, my ammo has a cut off drywall screw sticking out the Hydra-Shock hollow points. I have them measured to just clear the rotating cylinder. I would do the same thing with my Glock 10mm but I anticipate feed issues. I have renamed the Hydra-Shock ammo, """You're Screwed!"""

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  14. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Right now the focus has been on the "major" side,cheap and clean.The minor is on accuracy.With an eye on speed because of safety and also how it applies to the clean aspects.This is in a #14 Smith used for Dbl action practice...shooting homebrewed wadcutters.

In rifle's,given this time of year(predators),a .223 or 22-250 is what's on the menu.The goals here are on the major side.....terminal ballistics,and a minor on accuracy.If I can get 1 MOA,then thats plenty.These rounds are being rammed up through mags....in and out of std ammo bxs.....wash/repeat.To chase accuracy means being WAY more concerned with factors that honestly,don't suit the gaming fields where we hunt.

Theres a big difference in bullets/terminal ballistics.......no exit wound means one less(sometimes huge)hole to sew up on pelt.And in general (frangible bullets)makes for good ju-ju when varmint hunting.

I chase accuracy with ten shot groups through a cast bullet rifle.This is/has been a loooong affair.Have some impressive groups(10 shots)that have come with a serious amt of time invested.Not whining but,need a little better tools,specifically dies.Not so much about bushings N such....I can machine those.Just need them to be finished better than what we're using now......not ready to drop a buck fifty on the really nice stuff?

15. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Screw, blued and tattooed!

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I make "cowboy" 30-30 loads.... There cheap, quiet, and dont kick

I dont understand why I can shoot my military rifles (1903, Mosins, Steyr, Enfield, Arisakas) all day without flinching, but my little 30-30 beats the crap outta me??? It even has a buttpad where my military rifles have metal ones??? :confused:

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

One of those little mysteries of life!:p:p:p

18. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Trez, my Model 94 still kicks like a mule but I love shooting it. I guess it has hard recoil because of its light weight. I can understand why you use "cowboy" loads in your 30-30. I use full loads in mine because after 40 years of shooting it I am very familiar with it and I think it would serve me well as a self-defense weapon, both against two-legged and four-legged threats.

19. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

This post is so full of fail. The worst part is I really think you do this and have no idea why its ridiculous