Whats the most you would spend on a scope?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by bullethole, Jun 3, 2011.

1. bullethole

bullethole New Member

Whats the most you would spend on a scope either for a centerfire or rimfire rifle? How much for hunting and how much for target shooting/competition? Im just curious to see since Im thinking about investing in a real high quality scope for my remington 700 .308 . If I was to buy one what do you think would be the best scope for long range shooting?

Thanks

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nightforce atm pretty much dominates long range shooting both for quality and durability. I think my leupold vx7 ran me around 1400 but im not certain. My next scope will be a nightforce if nothing changes

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The most I would spend, if I could justify it, would be about $2800 for a full blown Schmidt and Bender. For my money there is no finer scope out there, but they are DAMN expensive. :eek:

JD

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would spend up to $5k

If i ever build my 6dasher bench gun it will be topped by a MARCH scope. 10-60x52mm

When I build my 284win F-Open rifle it will be topped with a Nightforce 12-42x56mm or a Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman II Riflescopes 5-25x56mm Also in the running would be a Premier Heritage 5-25x56 Tactical 34mm Riflescope.

5. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I can't spend more than twice what the gun is worth and that's pushing it. But if I could afford anything, that would change the whole picture.

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I am cheap :eek: and just an occasional rifle shooter/hunter. I topped my Weatherby Vanguard .308 with a (used) $165.00 Weaver Grandslam 3-10x40 scope. For my skill level and intended use, it is more than sufficient.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  7. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Please describe what you consider as long range shooting. It will greatly help the knowledgeable ones help you better.

8. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I have Nightforce NXS on two rifles and love them.

9. Ltriker

Ltriker New Member

I have a $3000 US Optics scope on a 308 rifle that I have well over $2000 tied up in.

I also have a $29 fixed 4X on an older rimfire rifle.

I dont think it is the cost of the scope, but rather does the function of the scope fit the requirements for it once mounted on the firearm?

If you go at it from this perspective, you will find the right scope for your firearms sooner and be happier and out less money.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (my first scope is on its way via UPS and it is only a Nikon), but the best scopes have the most marginal utility on the best rifles, right?

To put a $5000 scope on a Rem 700 would be super overkill, right?

My AR-15 is not built for hunting and has no parts that are really intended for sub-MOA shooting. To spend more than $500 would be a waste on my rifle.

Have you told us what rifle you're looking to outfit?

12. bullethole

bullethole New Member

Yes it is a .308 remington mod 700

13. bullethole

bullethole New Member

If your speaking about distance Im talking about 300 - 500 yards!

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Chris does bring up a good point. Intended purpose. Here comes the What if.
    If I buy a $369.00 scope( that is what my Sightron above cost 3+ years ago) and it performs excellent. It has a no question guarantee, would you try one?

Chris, the point in which you need to clarify is whether the 700 is a stock hunter, or a custom built gun.
    The 6-20x42AO Sightron SII that sits on my CZ 527 in .223 is amazing. The only thing that would make it better is a caliber specific scope. The issue there is bullet weight.

I understand that higher priced scopes are normally better constructed, and have better glass, but where do you draw the line for intended use?

At 400 yards, my hunting max range in 7mm RM my Weaver V10 is perfect. It sits on a Savage 110 that cost $379.00 quite a few years ago as a package gun. Works very well for its' purpose.
    I don't know if a $1000.00 scope would work any better.

15. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Most people I know would not categorize 300-500 as long range shooting. This info should help you get better recommendations.

16. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

I have paid as much as $2500 and as little as $50, it was always about the scopes features and intended use.

A lot of attention is paid to "good glass", but the optical qualites of a scope are extememly subjective, each person will see something slightly different in the same scope.

The intended use should determine what features you should seek and ultimately the price you pay; for example:
    The ability to range targets at a variety of magnifications may mean a reticle in FFP, and they will cost more than an SFP setup.
    The need to make shots based on adjusting elevation turrets vs holdover, a scope designed to make accurate and repeatable adjustments will have durable internals with finger-adjustable turrets and will cost more than a scope with inexpensive internals that are not designed to be for frequent changes (or holdup to the recoil of high power cartridges).
    Along with the accurate adjustments having a "zero-stop" allows the shooter to go back to his baseline with minimal effort but adds to the complexity of the turrets and cost.
    These are just some examples of the things to look for and the reasons a $2-3000 scope MIGHT make more sense than a $2-300 scope.

IMO basing the cost of the scope on the price of the rifle is silly.

17. ron12301

ron12301 New Member

I personally would spend $1k to $3k, on a target/varmint/long range scope and about $500 to $1k on a hunting scope for local big game, Deer etc. I think for long range shooting Nightforce, S&B, Zeiss, March,US optics, Premier all make very good optics. I would try to narrow down just what my intended use would be and pick the scope best suited to my needs and then take the best deal. Easier said than done !

18. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I put a Nikon Prostaff BDC on my Remington 700 30 06. Paid less then 150.00 new. For what I am using the gun for it works fine. I would spend more on a scope if I was big game hunting in Alaska or a SWAT sniper. Some people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a $5,000 scope even if they were inside the barn. Get what you can afford for the purpose you are using the gun for. Don't just wait till hunting season to sight it in. Practice with it all year long.

19. Wambli

Wambli Member

So far my most expensive scope is a Swarovsky Z6 on my Remington 700 AWR (custom shop) .300 WinMag. I think it was like $1,700. On the target side my .308 has a Leupold Mark 4 that set me back about $1,300 bought based on the recommendation of folks that take theirs on the field for real. They also told me that if I want to jump higher to go straight to the Schmidt Bender for about $2,800 which I MIGHT do someday...

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It all comes down to the quality of glass that you want to shoot with.

Most people have it in their head that a $300 dollar scope will work as good as a $2000 scope.For how they use it,it might.

I don't buy scopes for what they cost,but for what they will be used for.I want to be able to see what I'm aiming at,and with most lower end scopes,they work great if you are using them on a bright sunshiny day,but get a foggy or overcast,a little rain,etc.,then they don't perform very well.

You also have to look at the ranges that you intend to shoot.If you shoot long range targets,the scope must have enough adjustment ability in order for you to adjust for the shots.For most people this isn't an issue,but it is something that most lower priced scopes don't have.

A scope isn't going to make you a better shooter,but a good scope will let the shooter see clearly what they are aiming at in the worst conditions.

If you ever look thru a quality higher end scope,you will see the big difference in the quality,and clarity of the glass & coatings that the lower-mid range scopes don't use.
    It will ruin you forever.