What's the most you would pay for a Colt Python?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by HighSpeed, May 22, 2013.

1. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

The LGS has a good condition blued python with 4" barrel. It doesn't have the original wood grips; last owner replaced them with some black rubber ones.

LGS is asking $979, comes with a speed loader. Haven't seen them much cheaper in a long time, and they're getting harder and harder to come by.

2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

That is the cheapest price I've seen in a while also.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The Colt Python is normally outside of my budget but the deal on that one would make me jump on it. Last stainless 4" I saw was $2500. What % of blueing is on it?

4. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Not sure what you mean by %. Everything except the grips are blued IIRC, if that's what you're talking about.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Nice reference material. I'm going back tomorrow or Friday to compare it to my notes. Thanks for the heads up.

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

A gun that is like new from the factory would be 100%. If it shows some minor holster wear it might be 95%. If it looks like someone used it like a hockey puck on the street maybe 50%.

8. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Gotcha. Minor streaking on the finish, no real blemishes, prob around 90-95%.

9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Unless its in poor shape easily worth the 1 k IMO.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I bet you've pissed away enuff time that's its gone ---

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Reminds me of the time my uncle Josh Tates decided to start making compasses. He didn't have any experience in this line, but he did work as a machinist at one time. Looked up some information on the internet, read up on the subject, wiped out his 401K and even borrowed a little from the bank. Set up a shop with about four employees in an old gas station, making the Tates' Compass.

Turned out a nice looking product. Only one problem: through some manufacturing error, the compass needle always pointed south, not north. Uncle Josh wound up losing his shirt. However, he did acquire a small place in history, as everybody knows. . . .

HE WHO HAS A TATES' IS LOST.

(Sorry guys).

12. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Have you looked around on Gunbroker? See what prices are and what the conditions are. It may give you a bargaining advantage. If Gunbroker prices are higher....then shut up and buy it.

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Honestly, I'd go to the shop as soon as they opened and buy that gun. That's a great price. And since its already got some wear, you won't feel bad shooting it and enjoying it. Then if you ever want to make it a safe queen, you send it back to Colt for a refinish and it looks brand new again.

14. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Going today since it's payday. Gotta check a few things out, dry fire, and if all is good I'm snatching it up.

15. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have been attending at least two gun auctions every month and have not seen a Python in any condition sell for less than $1200 this year, most in 95% condition with box/manual/papers sell in the $1.5 to $2K range. I recently saw a 1955 unfired, blue, 4" in a wooden presentation box go for $3K.

IMO the starting/asking price means very little, you have to check recent sales.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  16. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Gone. Got there about 15 mins after the shop opened, guy behind the counter said someone bought it the day I stopped in originally. Oh well, now I know to jump on the deals when I see them.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sorry boss. That sucks. I kinda had a bad feeling it wasn't gonna stick around long tho.

18. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Don't hold your breath. It's unlikely you will ever see a deal like that again.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hate to say i told you so :(
    Lot of money if you not sure tho----

20. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

If they are Pachmayers with the Colt logo they may be the originals. Sorry to hear it's sold.

Last edited: May 25, 2013