What's the most pain you've ever been in....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by SRK97, Dec 11, 2019.

1. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Recon it would be either the ruptured appendix or the darn kidney stones. Neither was much fun.

2. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Oooh, I've heard horror stories about kidney stones.

Rifling82 and towboater like this.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Believe them and drink plenty of beer (or water) to keep the kidneys flushed out.

primer1 and SRK97 like this.
  4. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Kidney stones (once) or when my back locked up (twice).

Rifling82 and SRK97 like this.
  5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Last month when I tore the meniscus in my right knee. Had arthroscopic surgery 10 days ago.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Gout was by far the worst. I didn't know what REAL pain was until my first attack of gout.

Started in the right heel and big toe. Spread to both feet and both knees.

towboater, Rifling82, SRK97 and 2 others like this.
  7. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago, I got thrown by our horse: something spooked him and he reared up. That was the first time I had ridden a horse, and was riding bareback in the woods. Landed flat on my back, on an exposed root. Cracked two ribs, near the spine and bruised my liver and lungs. Also had the wind knocked out of me. Trying to breathe was tough enough, but the pain was excruciating. Wiggled my toes and fingers - no spinal injury. Then shock set in and the pain abated for a bit. My wife helped me up, I painfully re-mounted our horse, and rode him to the barn and got off. By evening, I was in excruciating agony so off to the hospital. X-Rays showed the damage and they scheduled me for an MRI because of the liver (concern it could be cancer - it wasn't). It took almost two months to get the MRI, which was a good thing since I couldn't raise my arms overhead to fit into the tube until then. Coughing, sneezing, breathing, pretty much any movement brought muscle spasms extraordinaire.

That was my worst pain, in large part because it lasted so long (several months).

Runners up:
    2) Full dislocation of my right elbow in 1972, which stayed dislocated until I got to a doc and he re-set it about an hour later. Again, shock was my friend! Until that night. Still have three bone chips in my elbow after 47 years...
    3) Had a catheter up my John Thomas for two full weeks following prostate surgery: the worst being the second week.
    4) Eye surgery in 1970, when the surgeon spilled a tray of Phisohex surgical soap in both eyes. They were both taped open for the surgery and I was "out", but in recovery, a burning pain that would not go away for 3-4 days. No amount of flushing helped.
    5) In 1989, I severely damaged my L4/L5 disc moving a piano. Not a stranger to low-back pain, but a day or two later (while driving into work) my legs went numb. Fortunately it only lasted for about a minute, but it's pretty alarming when you can't move your legs/feet while driving... The post neurologist prescribed a test to check for nerve damage, called an EMG (electromyogram). This is most often done for carpal-tunnel syndrome testing. For my spine, they lay you face down and on each side of every vertebrae - from neck down to your pelvis - a needle, connected to a wire, is inserted, slowly, then removed and switched to the other side, then down to the next vertebrae. When they're done with that, you're turned over and they go down each leg, to include right at the knee and the ankle. As they're checking your nerves (and the needle has to contact the nerves), there is no pain-killer allowed. I'm still amazed I went through that 1-2 hour procedure without running away screaming down the hall. The technician told me doing this for carpal-tunnel syndrome is even more painful!

8. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

I've had 2 bad hurts, first was a severe case of the gout which happened several times until I got medicated for it and the other was a broken jaw from a car wreck. Broke the top on the right side and the bottom on the left. Was wired up for about 8 weeks. I've had several broken bones but they weren't as bad as the other two.

primer1, towboater, RJF22553 and 2 others like this.
  9. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Shot with a speargun

primer1, towboater, Nod and 2 others like this.
  10. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Yow!^^^^

Your partner mistake you for a Goliath grouper? :eek:

Mercator and towboater like this.
  11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Gout is a bugger. Indomethicin is your friend. Take one at first twinge of a flare-up, one or two more generally quash it for me.
    TAKE AS DIRECTED! Or it will eat holes in your stomach.

locutus and Nod like this.
  12. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

The 2 times i had ingrown toenails removed. It wasn't the procedure itself, it was the 3 shots of local anesthetic directly into the toe that was unbearable. I've broken 1 rib, my left ring finger twice, left clavicle twice, right wrist, & finally right arm bad enough to need it screwed back together.

I would break all that again to not have another shot in my toe.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    primer1 and RJF22553 like this.
  13. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

When I was a young kid - about seven years old - I was bitten by a dog bigger than me. It wasn't malicious, and I loved that dog - just over excitement with me riding my bike into her yard and running alongside me. K-9s accidentally dug into my shin, got caught in the motion, and ripped out a lot of flesh - down to the bone. 17 stitches (internal and exterior) to sew me back up. That was in the late '50s. Still have that "lifetime scar"...

The most painful aspect was the procaine shots preparatory to the stitching. Shock probably helped before then...

primer1 likes this.
  14. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

Bit of a mill race:

1. Hyperextended my knee, and tore up my Patella, fresh out of the Navy.

2. In an attic, installing a box support for a ceiling fan, I lost my balance, and drove a 3" long phillips head driver thru my thumb nail, and out the other side of my thumb.

3. Last month, tending bees, got stung repeatedly, about a dozen times, through the socks, on the ankles.

RJF22553, primer1 and towboater like this.
  15. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Nope.

We were on dry land. He was showing it to me and I asked him to shoot it into the ground. He miss judged his shot and when the spear hit the end of the tether it bounced back and tagged me right in the ribs

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Over the years I have endured pain on several occasions for several different reasons now including some present day arthritis and a herniated disc! But as the others have mentioned over the years I have had three rounds with Kidney Stones. Mine for a grand total of four of them over the years were coal black, jagged and looked like they had sparkly diamond dust in them! :eek: Passed all of them! OOOUCH!That pain trumps most all of the others I have ever had. They say that pain is the closest experience a man can come, to having a baby!:rolleyes:
    Don't know never had a baby!:p:p:p:p
    By the way a doctor told me if I good strong drink once a day or two beers each day I probably would never have more Kidney Stones? SO for years I have taken his advice and medicated with Gentleman Jack and Jim Beam Black each evening while watching my favorite TV shows!;) Haven't had one in years!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Indomethicin is great. Unfortunately, it's an NSAID, and if you have heart trouble you can't take it!:(

towboater likes this.
  18. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was playing five finger fillet when I was younger and drove a knife, through my finger right next to the nail, stupid. I dont remember it hurting that bad at all but I was probably bleeding alcohol more than blood.

RJF22553 and primer1 like this.
  19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Worst pain. Getting shot through the left thigh was pretty bad, not immediately after, but a few minutes later, when the nerves finally caught up to what was going on. hyperextending my left knee, and breaking the femur (compound), was also rough, but what happened years later, was the worst.

As many on here know, I am a diabetic, and an amputee. Back in 2005, I made the mistake of self treating an injury to my left foot, that became infected. It soon progressed to cellulitis, then gangrene. I proceeded to report to work like this for a few days, and by the time I finally decided to go to the ER, I was in the early stages of blood poisoning. A few days in the local hospital, after walking in like this, and i was moved to a bigger hospital in Buffalo, checked in, and prepped for surgery, ASAP. Wound up losing two toes, including a notched out section at their bases, down to the bottom skin of the foot, and a swath cut out of the top of my foot, three inches wide, from there to the pouter edge of the foot.

Got my first look at it two days later, when the surgeon came in to check on the site. I have seen some pretty messed up s*** in my life, as a fireman and EMT, but that had my stomach doing belly flops, but i still found it fascinating, seeing how the inner workings of the foot are laid out. As he did his inspection, he noticed something missed in the surgery, part of the tendon for the middle toe, that was affected by gangrene, and was dead, was still in there, and had to be removed. At this point, i was offered an option of either Delaudin or Vicodin before the procedure, and declined, same with a local.

I just told him to take the forceps, ja, them in deep, hook on to the tendon, and pull up, as i pull down, and once he gets a few cm of good tendon, cut it, and get it done quick. After telling him I was sure about it, we did it.

3 seconds of the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Electric shock applied directly to the testicles would have been more pleasant. Running my finger under the needle on my Singer hurt less (Through the nail, and out the pad!) The 1 to 10 pain scale doesn't even come close.

I didn't scream, held my foot right where it had to be, teared up a bit, and sucked in some air, but held pressure, and stayed firm. The pain level dropped to a throbbing 4, at that point, but keep in mind that my 4 is most people's 9. He looked at me, and just said "Delaudin?", to which I said "Please."

The nurse was in there 3 minutes later with a saline line flush, and the Delaudin, and at that point, I didn't care about what i could still feel, which wasn't much.

The next day, when the doctor came in to check the foot again, he asked me why i had gone the route I did, when he cut that tendon. My answer:

" I see it this way. If I made my choice before you did it, and the pain was more than I could take, I would be a minimum of two hours from the next chance at relief from that pain. A couple seconds of intense pain, over and done, is easier to deal with than 2 to 4 hours of constant pain, knowing there's nothng that can be done about it."

His reply: "Make sense. What did you have happen before, that you came to this conclusion?"

"A circumcision under a local, in my 20s." (Worst pain #2, when they administered that local, especially due to a high tolerance to certain anisthetics. They had to do the first injections, wait about 20 minutes, then do a second dose, and I still felt the incision. which I explained to him, as to why i refused the local.)

RJF22553, Sniper03, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  20. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

In a word: Shingles.