Whats the difference between these two

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SRK97, Mar 6, 2013.

1. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

image-4131672766.jpg

Is there any advantage a JHC has against a JHP?

2. SRK97

I just found two boxes of them behind everything else, they must be fairly old at 10.99$ per box.

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

It looks like you inherited these boxes of ammo. The price sticker is a dead give away that these boxes are older.

From the looks of the boxes the green Sierras on the left are probably .357 mag., because of the height of the box. The box of Hornadys on right is probably .38 spec. Check the head stamping on the cases around the primer to be certain.

I don't know your level of knowledge, but do not load the .357 mag. into a firearm that is labeled and designed for .38 spl. ammo solely.

JHP = Jacketed Hollow Point

JHC = Jacketed hollow Core, which is much like the Hornady Guard Dog ammo. Think of it as a JHP encased in a Full Metal Jacket.

Go to www.sierrabullets.com and lookup the "Sport Master" bullets for an explanation.

4. SRK97

They are .38 cal bullets, I think I'm going to reload them but first I have to find a recipe for a 170 grain bullet.

5. JHLL

JHLL New Member

Go to sierra web site and you can find loads for 170 grainers

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Jacketed Hollow Cavity is Sierra's designation for JHP. They;re not full jacketed.

7. SRK97

Would that be considered a good thing or a bad thing. Do you thing a heavy bullet would shoot ok in a Ruger SP-101 with a 2.25in barrel I'm not sure what the twist rate is

8. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Two boxes of PROJECTILES...

Pictured are two boxes of PROJECTILES--For loading in .38Spl. OR .357Mag. cases--NOT loaded ammo.

You will find the heavier load data in the .357Mag. section.

Most all .38Spl. or .357Mag. revolvers are sighted to fire 158gr. bullets to the correct Point of Impact...Bill.;)

9. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

duh...................

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Only handguns lacking adjustable sights are zeroed "maybe" for one weight of bullet. But what about the velocity of that load.:confused:

11. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Member

Not much real difference.

The difference between Jacketed Hollow Point bullets and Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullets are subtle.

I remember buying Sierra JHC bullets in 1971. The difference is one of internal shape and marketing. A standard 'hollow point' has a nose cavity that is either wider at the top and narrows to the bottom of the cavity, OR is parallel sided from top to bottom. The Sierra 'Hollow Cavity' bullet features a cavity that is wider internally than the nose opening. According to the advertising, this makes the bullet expand better on impact.

Both the JHC and conventional JHP bullets are jacketed to the point where no lead touches the interior of the barrel. Most expanding bullets have exposed lead on the nose, somewhere. (There are some hollow point bullets which do not have exposed lead, but they are less common and specialty items.)

I cannot discern any performance difference between the two types of bullets.

However, your firearm may shoot better with one style or the other. Can't tell without trying.