What's The Difference Between These Two Shotguns?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ryevick, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick Member

I am looking to pick up one of these after Christmas for home security and don't know enough about all of this to know what the real difference between these two are and how that difference will show itself when using it. The 55605's muzzle break looks more like a sound suppressor almost. I see it has an attachment rail but the muzzle break differences are a mystery to me. Is one "better" than the other? Please help. Thank you.

Mossberg 50591

Mossberg 55605

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Seanbo123

Seanbo123 New Member

Well ive seen these and i dont really own one but i do own a rem. 870 . Well anyways they are both pretty much the same weapon but the first mossberg with the barrett/ christmas tree shaped muzzle end piece will let gas escape out of the the ports facing towards you. But the gas wont hit you it will actually help you by letting more gas escape reducing the recoil. The second one lets less gas escape and strait out the side. I would pick the first one and plus keep this in mind. You can always change the end piece.

3. Seanbo123

Seanbo123 New Member

Yea and hope my response helped

4. ryevick

ryevick Member

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I figured they both would help in recoil but like you say I'm guessing the one on the left would do a better job with recoil but the one on the right does have a rail which is nice. Since posting this I have begun debating on whether I want the pistol grip above or this stock mossberg 50772 shotgun... hmmmm... I still have a few weeks to decide... I'm starting to think in a home defense mode quick aim, stability and a larger capacity might out weigh the less confining pistol grip.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, the muzzle brakes on both will make them INCREDIBLY loud. I mean REALLY.

If you have not spent time shooting a pistol gripped shotgun, would urge you to do so before buying.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Right on both counts. The noise of a 12 in a confined space is painful. The muzzle brakes will make it worse and the Barrett brake will be loudest as it is directed back.

7. ryevick

ryevick Member

Thank you, that's all I need to know... I know a Shotgun is gonna be loud anyway but I have severe tinnitus (ringing ears) so that info alone will cause me to go with the 50772. Thanks!

8. Underdog

Underdog Member

Both those pistol grip models may look cool, but they can cause serious wrist pain with just a few shots fired. Go with a traditional stock model like the 50772 and you will get a better to use in any situation gun.

9. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I'm in the regular stock crowd myself. Whatever advantage a pistol grip may afford you in a very specific circumstance, simply is not enough for me when you look at the disadvantages.

10. Slugo

Slugo New Member

maybe you should consider a Blunderbuss! It can double as an umbrella stand... ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  11. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

That's the best picture you could come up with Slugo lol??