What's the deal with Gerber knives?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by indyfan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I'm looking for a new folder and I've stumbled across some real neat looking Gerber knives. The only problem is, Gerber is the most confusing brand when it comes to knife quality.

I always see cheaper quality Gerber knives at walmart. I purchased one a couple years ago and the thing was garbage. I ended up throwing it away after a couple weeks. Now around the same time, my friend returned home from serving overseas in Iraq. He showed me his Gerber LMF Infantry 2 and I was amazed on how good the quality was. I'd never held such a well-balanced, rugged, durable knife before in my life.

Which brings me to my question, whats the deal with their quality of knives? I see all these good looking knives online, but I'm hesitant to go through with a purchase because of my personal experience with their folding knives.

Are the Gerber blades sold at Walmart some cheaper chinese version? Cause that's what it seems like to me.

2. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I know some, or maybe all that wal-mart sell are made in Taiwan. I'm not sure if they make any in Portland anymore. I understand some knives made in Taiwan are supposed to be pretty good compared to anything from china. Maybe the better knives are out of Or..

3. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Would all Gerber knives be made in Taiwan these days? or just the ones at walmart?

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I'm not sure about the why's but I have a Gerber Paraframe that I carry daily and use for work. I think it's a great little knife - easy to keep sharp, small and compact and very light weight. :)

I don't know if it makes a difference but I did not buy it at Walmart

5. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Just checked all the Gerber knives at Walmart tonight.

"Made in China"

:(

6. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Some are made in another country and some in portland, you have to look before you buy. I have a gerber gator and its made in portland. The ones made in the states are really nice, but not the same for the ones made over seas.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Get a Kershaw Leek. Assisted opening Made in the USA and twice as sharp as a Gerber.
    Kershaw 1660CB K.O. Leek, Stainless Steel Handle, Plain

Most knifes brands have Made int eh USA models and Made in china models.

I have a Kershaw OSO Sweet that is one hell of a knife but, it is made in China and you can see the difference in quality vs a leek.

8. County Boy

County Boy New Member

My Gerber was made in Taiwan has a half serrated blade, sharpens easy and seems to hold its edge, used the snaught (?) ( nose juice) out of it. I got tired of the serrated edge so I started looking for a non- serrated blade, and found a Benchmade knife bought it and have been using it ever since, now I own 6 Benchmades. One is a straight blade for skinning and the rest are folders, they are great looking knives, but are very pricey $80-160 in price. As the old saying goes " you get what you pay for" its all on what you can afford to pay or want to pay that will influence your purchase on quality.

9. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I'll bet Sam is spinning in his grave.

10. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

Walmart works with companies to make things cheaper. Everything at walmart is lower quality than you would find in a regular store.

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I checked them out at walmart today. Yep, they're made in china......... :(

The Kershaw's,however, have a big Made in the USA label on the front!! I'll take the Tanto Blur!! :cool:

12. XR750

XR750 New Member

II don't really care where a knife is made, I try to buy American, but as long the quality is their in the knife. I own a Kershaw oso sweet & a Boker Automat Kalashnikov AK-74 Auto Knife both are well made and made in Taiwan China.
    Joe-R

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cannot speak to Gerber folders, nor to present day Gerber products, but I have a Gerber Mk 1 from the 60's. I do not know what it will cut and what it won't, but I do know this one can make a door in the side of a CH-47 helicopter if you REALLY need one, and are sufficently motivated. :cool:

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I think what you've found is common in many of the major blade manufacturers today. They have a line of higher priced blades made in the US and Europe, and a line of lower priced blades made in Asia.

Not all of the Asian blades are junk. But you'll probably find most of the blades that are junk are from Asia.

Anymore, I find the first thing I look at when checking out a new knife is the "made in" description. Unless it is something very interesting (or just a throw away), I'll skip the Chinese stuff.

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’ve the same one. It’s not much of a knife for cutting, but for putting holes in things (people & apparently helicopters) it’s bullet proof. It was left to me by a friend I once had. I use it as a letter/package opener to remind me of him. :(

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  16. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Sadly, it seems Gerber has gone the way of many cutlery firms. They were once a very high quality cuttin', stabbin', and general get ya home alive blade. Now, they seem to be a Wal Mart quality pocket knife, good for little more than light use.

Kershaw is still a great knife, and so is CRKT, and Spyderco.

As to the asian blades...BYRD is the chinese manufactured Spyderco line, and they are ROCK solid. Try the Cara Cara (you can get 'em for $20) and they are every bit the knife the Spyderco is. A friend in the knife business gave me one to try four years ago, and I still carry it every day. It has taken a pounding like you wouldn't believe and keeps right on doing what I need it to do!

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I used to have an old Mark II that I picked up in a junk store for 5 bucks. I gave it to my cousin who still has it, and is in fact toting it in Afghanistan right now. I also used to have an EZ out that I lost many moons ago, and would love to have another one.

BTW when the hell did Buck knives start getting made in China?

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a Kershaw, designed by Ken Onion, and you will be happy. You don't have to spend a fortune and you will have a great knife. I have been using my 1550ST (made in USA) for about 5 years and it is a fine blade.

I am a construction worker, and my knife has to work hard. I use it at least 10 times a day, every day.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've got one, the tip is broken off. I just haven't taken advantage of the warranty yet. My current EDC is an old Remington 2 blade folder I inherited from my Grandfather.

If I know I'm going to be abusing a knife on a particular day, I break out the Ozark Trail Walmart special. It's a pretty tough knife believe it or not.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Kershaw Wild Turkey #4150 that was given to me. Made in Japan. Just started carrying it so I cant say how good it is but it looks pretty decent. I misplaced or lost my Buck so I am looking for a good USA made knife too. Anyone using CKRT?