Whats the big deal about the shield

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by psymmonds, Jan 24, 2013.

1. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

I've noticed a lot of people on this forum that are looking to getting one. Or are on a waiting list. But I don't see anything special about the shield. So I was wondering why so many others want one and for what reasons?

2. lucznik

lucznik New Member

The Shield is an excellent CC gun. It is powerful, accurate, disappears super-easy, and feels better in the hand than any other auto pistol I have ever held. It is quite simply one of the finest carry guns around.

On the other side, being striker fired it has a terrible trigger. It's a lot better than the trigger on many other similar kinds of pistols (Glock, Springfield XD, Ruger SR**) and it's as good as most people will ever really need but, it's still not very good.

3. danolator

danolator New Member

It is a great gun, but once I got to compare it side-by-side with my M&P compact, there wasn't enough difference in size to justify owning one.

4. pistolero_loco

pistolero_loco New Member

Jmho

For me it was the following. I wanted more punch than a .380. I wanted to practice a lot, so needed affordable ammo, therefore 9mm. My personal preference is for striker fired over 1911 or SA/DA. Don't like cocked and locked. I want the same trigger pull on every shot. The small double stacks such as the G26 were just a little too fat and heavy to be comfortable. I preferred the crisp trigger pull of the Shield to the long DA pull of many of the others. I wanted to couple extra rounds an auto offers over a revolver. Also, I may be in the minority, but I like having the option to use a thumb safety, especially if I want to pocket carry. The Shield (with added night sights) in my experience for my needs is the perfect fit.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  5. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Also shoots like a larger gun, and has less felt recoil IMHO than other guns of similar size. Great American quality at a great price.

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

It's a great comfortable firearm to shoot.

7. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

But why not get the M&P 9c instead? Is the shield that much thinner to make a difference?

8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I didn't shoot them side by side, but the shield just seems more comfortable in the hand then the M&P. My father in law bought one and absolutely loves it. If it wasn't so close to two of my other carry pieces, I'd buy one.

9. danolator

danolator New Member

Actually the single most criticism of the M&P line is the trigger. Many of us have opted for the Apex trigger kit to alleviate that gritty pull and inconsistent reset.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I was really looking forward to one, until I got my hands on it. Lousy trigger. Bought a Kahr instead.

11. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

The trigger on mine is good. It is small, comfortable in an IWB, but fits in a pocket holster. I find it to be accurate out to 25 yards, and very comfortable to shoot. Also, my wife shoots it, so I can leave it home with her and be comfortable with the fact that she has one she can shoot and control. I also like the safety it has.

I also have a Ruger SR9c, which I am very happy with, but the Shield is easier to carry.

12. Shield9MM

Shield9MM New Member

Love my Shield!!!!

image-993449887.jpg

13. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

My Shield seems like it is only 1/2 the thickness of my M&P 9C. If you look for side by side pics on Google you will find several.

The Shield has so much going for it it's hard to hit on all of it's attributes. Size, shape, ergos, shootability, accuracy, reliability, aftermarket support, warranty, etc., etc. I upgraded mine with Warren Tactical sights and installed an Apex trigger kit. Went from being an excellent concealment piece to an AWESOME compact handgun. The stock trigger was better than any Kahr, Nano, LC9, PT709, etc. I have ever felt or fired. Adding the Apex components made a good trigger great. The ONLY downside to this gun is availability. Other than maybe the Walther PPS the S&W Shield is a full letter grade a head of any other competing product.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  14. DarrinD

DarrinD New Member

I will keep my M$P9c primarily because I don't need a deep concealment pistol and I like carrying 12+1 for all my clothes. The Shield is fine for many, but I wouldn't want to rely on 6 shots as my every day carry, just IMO.

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

I've got both and the difference is considerable. Not only is the Shield easier to conceal, especially in the summer, it's lighter. You might not think so at first glance, but carry one, then the other all day and you'll find out.

16. sharpshooter1997

sharpshooter1997 New Member

What kind of grip tape you got on you handle?

17. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Haven't had the chance to carry a Shield for a day but I daily carry my 9C and it is plenty comfortable plus you get 12+1.. Here she is with Crimson Trace grip laser.

Attached Files:

18. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  19. chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 New Member

The trigger on the Shield is much better than the trigger on my wife's M&P 9 Pro.

The reset is definitely much more identifiable.

20. ThinkFastHolsters

ThinkFastHolsters New Member

I got my Shield the day it came out and it converted me from a glock fan boy to a M&P fanboy. So much so that I bought a fullsize M&P and now Im thinking of replacing my G19 with a M&P9c. The Shield is phenomonal! Ive never been a big sa/da guy and striker fired is about all I know so the trigger is no issue (im no trigger nazi anyway because i think my M&P9 fullsize has a great trigger out of the box:p) The Shield is the ONLY thing I will carry in the Spring/Summer unless Im concealing OWB. Obviously you have to be ok with only having 8/9 rounds loaded up but with a spare 8 rounder thats hardly noticeable I am plenty confident in its abilites. Its not a pocket gun, It is a small framed fighting pistol. The Shield can be run through a 2 day training course just as comfortably as a full size hand gun. I cant say enough good stuff about it!