Whats the best Semi -Auto .22 thats comparable to cost and size as the watlther p22

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by wiemers6909, Jun 4, 2012.

1. wiemers6909

wiemers6909 New Member

I got a Walter p22 a few months ago and it continues to jam consistently after the first few magazines I put through it. I clean it thoroughly after every use and make sure I oil the slides and have even went in bought special lube for the slides are supposed to help with jamming and nothing works. I've used a spread of ammo from CCI stingers to Winchester to Remington and federal ammo and they all jam after a few magazines have already been ran through it. So I am looking for a more reliable 22 pistol then the Walther p22. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF. I've heard a lot of complaints about the p22. I would suggest a s&w .22. They are usually in the same price range and reliable, accurate shooters. I get dime sized groups at 50 yds benched.

Attached Files:

3. wiemers6909

wiemers6909 New Member

Are you talking about the new M&P .22

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No the s&w 22s is what is in the pic. There are a few different variants all good guns.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Just for a size reference.

Attached Files:

6. wiemers6909

wiemers6909 New Member

O lol ... I guess I was looking for more of a multi functional pistol like the Walther not a target pistol.. I have a ruger mark II for target

7. thejsw1250

thejsw1250 New Member

The S&W 22A is a great gun. I own one as well and paid under 200 USD for it.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

What are you looking for a gun for concealed carry?

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yes it is. You got a good price. Welcome to FTF.

10. wiemers6909

wiemers6909 New Member

Well I have a concealed pistol but I would like one for glove box or just to kill snakes if I go fishing

11. thejsw1250

thejsw1250 New Member

Have you looked at the Ruger SR22? They are about +/-300 USD. It's a .22LR and is pretty compact.

12. thejsw1250

thejsw1250 New Member

Thanks mountainman13

13. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

+1 on the Ruger SR22 Pistol

14. 4sig

4sig New Member

Try T28B lube on the slide and CCI Mini Mags 40 grain ammo. It makes my Sig Mosquito work and that's one of the pickiest semis on the market. Also use a brush to clean the ejector. Since you problem is after the first few mags it could be residue on the underside of the extractor. Good luck.

15. wiemers6909

wiemers6909 New Member

That's good info.. I could see myself keep on buying CCI stinger ammo when it's $10 for a box of 50 and I can just go shoot my 9mm for just a $1 more ... I bought some kinda lube for it but I'm not sure the name it's a specialty lube.. Guy at the gun shop said it might be my mag but it does so many different styles of jamming . From not clearing the chamber with the spent brass to not even loading a new round in the chamber but ejecting the spent brass just fine... I'm no gunsmith so not really sure where to start other than lubing the slide good and trying new Amos which I have done

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

My wife's Bersa Thunder .22LR has been reliable. It's the same size & close to same weight as the Thunder .380, so makes an ideal trainer for the .380. Her's likes CCI Mini Mag & the Remington Golden Bullet. The Bersa .22s are reported to be picky & only work well with high velocity ammo, but I think that's pretty common except for a few, like Ruger Mark II & III or Brownings.

17. lucznik

lucznik New Member

The Ruger SR22 is basically identical in size and weight and even, to a certain degree, overall appearance to the Walther P22, but internally, they are really very different guns.

Ruger specifically markets the SR22 as being designed to function reliably with all kind of 22LR ammo, not just hyper-velocity stuff - which I think is intended as a dig at the Walther, some of which have been reported as being rather finicky.

On the other hand, my Dad's P22 as well as my own which I sold to a brother a while back both always have worked fine with everything we've tried in them so; the Walthers certainly aren't all bad.

I haven't had a chance to try my SR22 yet, but I'm pretty excited to "give it a whirl."

18. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

My wife bought a walther p22 a couple months ago... Never had any problems with firing, only issue is with the ejector instead of kicking the spent shell to the right it throws them straight back into your face... Or in her case down her shirt... Haha :) Other then that it shoots great. Cci and remington thunderbolts

19. redscho

redscho New Member

My shooting buddy and I both got Ruger SR22Ps a month ago and we have put close to 2000 rounds through them with out a FTF of any kind. Great little pistol.

20. wiemers6909

wiemers6909 New Member

I bought a bersa thunder 22 last summer and it started jamming on me as well but before a could sale it my apt was robbed and they stole all 8 of my firearms... I lived there a month and had my safe being delivered that week haha