What's the best SAA repro?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by cnorman18, Sep 21, 2012.

1. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

I know the Colts are still being made, but I'm told that the quality isn't what it once was. I've also heard that the US Firearms SAAs, made in the old Colt factory, are higher quality. Then there are the Italian reproductions, and others. Any opinions? I once had a 4-3/4" Colt SAA in .44 Special, nickeled, that was the only firearm I could ever "point-shoot" with, without aiming, and hit my target every time. I traded it for a car (1980 Triumph Spitfire that I drove for 10 years), but I still think it was a bad trade.

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Personally, I think the Ruger Vaqueros are the best Colt SAA reproductions. They are made to be extremely strong, and are great shooters. Many (possibly most) of the people who compete in Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS use Vaqueros.

IIRC, they come in 357 mag, and 45 LC. They used to come in 44 mag (old model), and 44-40 (I think it was old model too, but I'm not sure.)

You can find them for about $500-$600.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Agreed, they are built like a tank.

IIRC some of the more powerful ammo actually says 'For Ruger only', that tells you something right there.

Here's mine, (old) Vaquero, .45 Colt.

Attached Files:

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Not too long ago I handled a pair of sequential Ruger Vaquero SASS Special edition that were just absolutely perfect, except the price. I forget what they were asking at the GS, but on the Ruger website they list for $1600 each. The triggers were like butter, the springs were perfect and the hammer is laid down for fanning or thumbing easily. Beautiful guns.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Agreed on the Rugers. Last year lgs had sequential match pair of 45lc price was just under $3000 irrc.

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I don't doubt that at all. I have seen the pressure limits of the Ruger compared to other SAAs, and they are way up there.

Nice revolver. I have always loved the look of the stainless steel ones. :D

7. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I like shooting my Ruger. It is well built and has a great feel to it. It took a couple hundred rounds and smooth out and now it is like silk. My only complaint is the stocks, I don't like the plastic/rubber, but that is an easy fix.

8. Fielder

Fielder New Member

Well I won a 2nd gen colt, an modern Uberti SAA (barrel print branded Dixie as well as Uberti), and a Ruger blackhawk. The modern Uberti has a better trigger pull and smoother than the Blackhawk. The genuine Colt (Uberti made 2nd G) is best of all.

I would give an A+ letter grade to all of them. But the modern Uberti's are very good in my experience and are cheaper than Rugers (see Dixie Gun Works).

EDIT: It may be that I just got an exceptional Uberti, because Rugers probably have a better reputation I would guess, reading online.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

I like the Ruger new vaquero. Mostly because it uses a transfer bar safety, and that means I can carry with a full cylinder. Colts, as well as similarly designed guns, can discharge if the hammer is down on a loaded cylinder if the hammer gets bumped...

And that's coming from John Taffin, btw....

10. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I own 2 Vaquero and an Uberti repro. Both are fun to shoot and very accurate. New an Uberti is less expensive. In CAS I have been using the Uberti more, but only because it is the newer gun.

11. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

Anybody have a Ruger Vaquero Montado? Looks awesome.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on what you want to use it for.

If you shoot cowboy, or you want authenticity, get a "new" Vaquero or a spaghetti gun.

If you want an all around good shooter, get a Ruger Blackhawk.

Strong enough for utra heavy loads, transfer bar, and excellent adjustable sights.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Absolutely agreed. I have a New Model Blackhawk and it is a fine gun, one of my favorites as a matter of fact. I put the Gunfighter spring kit in it and is just perfect!

14. 1911user

1911user New Member

Uspfa saa and now 1911's

15. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

The best (closest to the original) is the USFA (U.S. Firearms) Many think they are better than the new Colt SAA.

Rugers are awesome single actions. Beautiful guns. They dont have the 4 clicks, when cocking the hammer. And they have the transfer bar.
    It just depends on how authentic you want.

In this pic. Left and right are American Western Arms. Their out of buisness now.
    Center is an Uberti with old west finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's another pic of the Uberti. It is a fine gun, and I sure enjoy shooting it. For the cost, they are great!!!
    [​IMG]

Here is a pair of USFA SAA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The Uberti is a little cheaper. You get what you pay for, the ruger has adjustable sights. no, you can't fan a new SA. I have a 3 bolt ruger. Fanning it usually results in a trip to the ER. not to mention I can't hit anything. the 3 bolt is very accuate. I am pretty consistent to about 40 yards. I have seen better shots shoot my gun on the rifle range. 100 yards they just smoke a 6" target. 44 mag is not for CAS anyway. I end up catching the rear sight trying to fan it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Meaning you continue to try it???:eek:

18. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I can get one or two shots off without injury. Every couple years I get cocky and try to empty the gun. I will admit this is stupid. In a SD situation one or two 44 mag rounds will put most drug crazed attackers down. Moreover, by the third shot I am likely shooting into squirrel nests. Deep down we all want to be like John Wayne, I want it more than the average bear.

19. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 New Member

Sadly, USFA has basically ceased production and is assembling a few standard model from parts inventory.

20. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Yep, and the prices have been going up on whats out there.