What's the best Personal Defense Rounds and caliber

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by GlockUSA, Jan 5, 2012.

1. GlockUSA

GlockUSA New Member

I am gonna vote for the 9mm or the 10mm for maximum damage. I also like 410 that is my number one

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I personally favor the 9mm and .45ACP. I like 147gr 9mm bullets and the classic 230gr bullets in .45ACP.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My home defense gun is a .357 magnum revolver. I'm not saying it's the best, it's just the 'biggest' I have right now.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm with WOC. I've got a smith .357 loaded with 158 grain hornady xtp.

5. undumb

undumb New Member

Hands down , .45 ACP 230 jhp

6. Secondhand_Hero

Secondhand_Hero New Member

Depends on the size of your house, the size od your enemy, and the amount of damage allowed (to both your target and home.) My all-time favorite would be revolver chambered for .410 ammo, she's reliable, hits hard, and spreads to the size of a full human in about 20 yds. This means if they're up close they've got one Hell of an ouchie or if the SOB is unlucky enough to get far they're gonna have as many holes in um as a piece of swiss cheese. But you know, there's also the matter of replacing a wall or whatnot...

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

..........and knowing what's on the other side of that wall that you might not want to get shot, like family members. :eek:

8. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Glaser rounds, look into them. They come in silver or blue tipped, designed to put down an intruder but not travel through walls. Another company I believe is magsafe. Its like $30 bucks for 6-8 but you get what you pay for.

9. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

9mm is my personal choice.

Don't care for safety rounds that won't go through walls. If a bullet won't go through a single sheet of wall board, it won't get adequate penetration in a human target, and penetration is the name of the game. Knowing your target, and knowing what's behind your target are part of the responsibility of using a gun for self defense. Anyone who draws a gun and starts shooting, with no regard for where the rounds might go, is headed for legal problems.

Just my opinion.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Eighty Eight Magnum. It shoots through schools.

Seriously?

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I've had them in my SD/home pistol when I lived in an apartment. And it was mainly in case I yanked one while my heart rate was at 120 bpm or so...figured the neighbors would appreciate that. Had nothing to do with "no regard as to where they might go". The legal AND moral issues factored in to that decision. I'd much rather take the off chance that the bad guy will make it to me, than accidentally shoot the neighbors kid through the wall. Just sayin'...

Edit:
    And Speer Gold Dot is my preference....40 or .45

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I use in my 1911 the speer .45 230 gn jhp or the hornady .45 230 gn TAP jhp and for a backup just in case...buffalo bore 147 +p+ 9mm jhp in my glock 17. The buffalo bore ammo puts up some crazy fps and muzzle energy #'s.

13. undumb

undumb New Member

I have a sawed 12 gauge, but I'm reluctant to use it, I don't want to hit my dog.

14. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

357 Sig Winchester Ranger but thats just my preferance

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

.45 ACP, with really lumpy hollow points. What do they call that?

"Safety ammo?" You know, the stuff that's forbidden in NJ?

(Sorry, NJ prefers the extra penetration of the more dangerous

FMJ round...)

16. mcb

mcb New Member

357 mag with federal 125 gr jhp

17. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

I am not sure about the best, but what I prefer is the 9mm with 124 +p Speer Gold Dot.........

18. GlockUSA

GlockUSA New Member

9mm +p JHP PDX1 for my glock 19 they should stop inside my target but I won't shoot until i look long and short. I am gonna hit my target in a house. I am a practiced enough shot to do that without a laser and even in the dark as I have a tac light and night sights. I like 45 they are heavy hitters but I would choose 9mm over it any day

19. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Deep penetration turns into over penetration

20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Anything .380 through .45 ACP, prefer the 380 or 9mm.

Edit: I should add that always hollow point.