whats the best kinda bolt?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by macon17, Mar 24, 2012.

1. macon17

macon17 New Member

Wanting a chrome bolt or a better coated bolt any ideas? Rifle is a rock river lar 15

ForumRunner_20120324_013440.jpg

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

JP Low Mass stainless steel, BCM, Core15 Nickel Boron coated BCG, FailZero EXO coated BCG are a few that come to mind

3. macon17

macon17 New Member

Thanks ill check all them out.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Do you have a need for a "special coating"? I'd get a quality bolt and forget the gimmick coatings on a second-rate bolt that just empty your pocket and give you less.

5. dvcguns

dvcguns New Member

They make life a little easier in the cleaning department, but a quality bolt is just as reliable IMO. The cost difference does not justify it in my book. Since I started coating guns with Cerakote I have coated both my AR BCGs with oven cure Micro-Slick and it does make it clean up easier and run a little longer without oil, but I still run it dripping wet and would not pay for the coating if it were not free.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I tried a Fail Zero once and have a coated BCG in my LWRC (came from the factory that way) and don't see a need. The cleaning thing really is a non issue as I don't see a difference. Just a waste of money IMO. If I was to upgrade the BCG I would get a BCM to replace the RRA.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

AND don't get the JP LMOS bolt unless you plan on running an adjustable gas block.

Just get a shootpeened 158 carpenter steel hp/mp tested bolt. Everything else is bling. Bling is good if you want it, but not needed.

I have a chromed BCG, it is easier to clean. But if I had to do it all again, I'd just get a regular parkerized bcg and put that extra $50 into my ammo fund.

8. macon17

macon17 New Member

Haha thanks rifle run and shoots great ill leave it alone